reusing card reader from MP180 cannon printer

edited September 2011 in Hardware
i dont think there is any article on it so i have written one:

Not throwing away the society - reusing card reader from cannon printer

my cannon MP180 printer has cartridges that cost lots to replace and so the printer ended up getting scrapped, and i pulled it apart.
it came with a card reader which i wanted to liberate from it. it is a SMSC USX2008-NU-02 chip. the board is labelled QM3-1682 and QK1-3146-05.
it has 7 wires coming from the board,
R,y,yb,B,r,rb,Y (lcase=smaller wire, twisted in pairs) (red, yellow, black)

R is 3.25v (pin1)
y 0v (D-), yb 2.9v (D+) i found to be the usb
B, GND
r, needed to be connected to the 3.25v supply or original location to make the thing work.
rb, was connected to 3.25 via a pull up resistor but module worked without it connected.
Y, 5.45v
X, empty (pin8)

it was basically trial and error, leaving printer board on while i had connected and disconnected the pins, and rerouting the USB pair to my computer.
the USB wires only worked one way around and were identified because of simular components on them (2 ea) and the tracks were in a "formation", its an 'unknown device' the wrong way around. all that is needed is a usb plug/socket+cable and a 3.3v regulator (preferably a switching one, though i dont think so) and it ought to be flawless.

i observe that the printer acts as a mass storage device and then talks to the module, rather than the module interfacing direct to the computer (there is a mass storage device with printer connected to pc with no module on the printer).

while testing i was getting the message that i can connect this to a high speed port, it was already a 2.0 port. maybe my lame wire links were not usb2.0 quality (twisted pair). i tested with a SD card and it reads it. i was sure that when the printer was connected it did have many drive letters. now it has one. the windows device name is "SMSC Can 223 U HS-FLASH C USB Device".

other notes:
the powersupply was a 24v 1A module, in its own plastic box mounted under the printer. however it output 7v when connected (switching PSUs need a load connected to them for safety). when the motors in the printer were on, a 3.3v signal is sent into the center wire and it goes to 24v.

there are apparently DC/DC converters on the controller board but the brains are in a square IC chip, and there are two or three voltage outputs.

i dont think the scanner can be done. 4 wires (for motor, and location sensor?), and 12 wires that have many voltages.

A0708-AC292
[Deleted User]

Comments