How to turn an old computer into your HTPC

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Couple things:

DVI|VGA handle 1080p just fine.

Most new receivers have HDMI in, so there is no need for SPDIF optical or coax if you run HDMI from video card to receiver, and then output video to TV

Using you video card as your soundcard also eliminates the need for multiple cables
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, but vga looks terrible relative to dvi/hdmi.

Also, last time I tried, digital audio over hdmi in linux would never do more than 2.0. 5.1 worked fine when I picked up an asus xonar card.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Another note: 802.11n is more than sufficient to stream even Blu-ray content, as its practical bandwidth is 2-3x the highest available bitrates with this media. In some respects, 11n wireless was designed to enable HD streaming. The WiFi Alliance is using it as the base standard for the open standard for wireless HD.

As for what GPUs are recommended, they should really be picked based on their specific DXVA capabilities, rather than a generation.

For AMD:
    UVD 2, 2.2 and 3.0 are sufficient for high-def content (VC-1, H.264, MPEG2). UVD3 adds support for MPEG-4 Part 2 (Xvid and DivX) and MVC (Blu-ray 3D).

Suggested targets are UVD 2.2 and UVD 3.0.

For NVIDIA:
    PureVideo 3, 4 and 5 are also sufficient for high-def content (again VC-1, H.264, MPEG2). VP4 adds support for MPEG-4 Part 2 (Xvid/DivX) and MVC (Blu-ray 3D).

Suggested targets are PureVideo 4 or PureVideo 5.

Confirming your DXVA support by the specific hardware decoder version is easier than picking a card because, as in the case of NVIDIA, a new generation of PureVideo was not synchronized with a new generation of hardware. This has lead to mixed VP versions within the same product stack.

And to confirm what Greg said, an SPDIF connection is only required if your receiver or TV does not support HDMI. Both NVIDIA and AMD GPUs support 7.1 Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA passthrough to a compatible receiver. If you have a WiFi HTPC, that's the only cable you need beyond power.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Thanks for clarifying all of this, I actually don't really have any newer home theater equipment to base this article from. My receiver does not have an HDMI input.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    To jump on the clarification comment bandwagon: if you get a universal remote for your HTPC (such as the Logitech Harmony line), you will also need to get a consumer infrared receiver. A select few cases come with ones built in, otherwise you would need to get an external one. A decent IR receiver seems to be hard to find though... or so my on and off hunting would suggest.
    edited November 2011
    In other words, save your money and use your smartphone.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    If you're only going to use the HTPC for XBMC? yes. If you plan on using it for other things, getting a remote and an IR receiver will likely work better. Also, you could just get a dedicated MCE remote like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-80-101-007-_-11012011_3

Then, if you really want to, I'm sure you could replace the remote part with something like a Logitech Harmony.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    My favorite XBMC remote. Works with MPC and WMP out of the box

boxee_box_remote_rendering.jpg
    edited November 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    If you're only going to use the HTPC for XBMC? yes. If you plan on using it for other things, getting a remote and an IR receiver will likely work better. Also, you could just get a dedicated MCE remote like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-80-101-007-_-11012011_3

Then, if you really want to, I'm sure you could replace the remote part with something like a Logitech Harmony.

I disagree. Say you have a touch-screen Android or iPhone. What can't you do with RemoteDroid or Air Mouse Pro that you can do with any of those remotes? Not to mention that some of them require purchasing an IR receiver, which isn't necessary because these programs use the wireless connection you already have.

The point of this article is to say that most people can use their last gen PC as an HTPC without having to buy anything. Use what you have first, and make that work for you, then purchase extras if you want more convenience.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Obligatory post in a thread with AVATAR used as the feature image.
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    HDMI, VGA and DVI, this video card has all three digital video connections

VGA= analog
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I started building an XBMC HTPC out of old parts, but I keep coming across this odd problem where the machine won't POST. I fixed it a while back by pulling the CMOS battery. Now the problem is back. Pulled the CMOS. No luck this time. Meh, maybe I'll buck up for a new motherboard.

I can't wait to get it up and running. Some of the XBMC plugins are amazing, like the one that automatically downloads your favorite TV shows.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Um, you might try a brand-new CMOS battery charged 24 hours in HTPC for a cheaper way out.

Even cheaper than that MIGHT be to leave your HTPC with battery in running 24 hours. Then pull it and put it back in, keep machine from fully booting by entering BIOS ASAP as boot process continues, then reset BIOS to what you want or what it sets itself to if previous trick of pulling CMOS was not followed by customizing settings( since pulling it alone did not work, it is likely that the CMOS battery is dead as to charge, but also true is that many older CMOS batteries are rechargeable and thus may not even need replacing).

Brevity causes compaction of idea flow, ask about anything you do not understand please. Good luck Seth :D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    There are other options for remotes available. You can add a tuner card, I recomend Hauppauge as far as a name goes. Many of these come with a decent remote and the ever elusive IR receiver. This option can be had for as low as $50. You can also use the IR receiver with other remotes if you like. On the other end you could go with something like the Logitech diNovo Mini, which is what I use. It can give you control of not only media controls but also complete control of your PC. It can come in handy for locating items in a library by using the letter keys for indexing movies saved to disc.
    edited November 2011
    I have a diNovo mini, and gave up on it in favor of my smartphone/tablet.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Um, you might try a brand-new CMOS battery charged 24 hours in HTPC for a cheaper way out.

Um, I already tried a brand new battery. No dice, unfortunately. The other problem is it won't POST, so I can't get to BIOS.

Going to try again tonight. I want to cry.
    edited November 2011
    Except the first generation Apple TV has numerous issues playing HD content. The GeForce 7300 Go is not a shining example of multimedia readiness, and also does not support multi-channel audio passthrough over HDMI.

Basically, it sucks.
    edited November 2011
    DonJakobo wrote:
    I find it funny that everyone is posting 'add this' or 'buy that remote', when you can just get a 1st gen Apple TV (modded) for under $100 bucks and run all this crap without any more investment, plus you get a remote with it, and bluetooth keyboards work well for web browsing. There is a ton of stuff for the 1st gen Apple TV, and it works just fine for hacked airplay too! Just suggesting an option here to an old pc that you would have to waste time on.

You totally missed the point of this article. This is for people who are building new gaming PCs to play some of these next gen games like Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3. That's $100 you don't have to spend if you already have the equipment you need. The inferior nature of an Apple TV device non-withstanding.
  • redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited November 2011
    I've used Hauppage for about 5 years now. I'm on my 2nd tuner card. I upgraded to get a digital tuner. the card and the remote have worked daily and flawlessly. for years. I'm using a Q6600 and an infocus projector to put HD on the wall about 12 ft wide, with 5.1 surround. Phat Boi, TV..
    edited November 2011
    My first tuner card was Hauppauge and I would continue to but their products if I had TV. The only thing I could see myself using it for at this point is to watch sports and be able to pause and rewind.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    On the subject of tuner cards, I had a Hauppauge for my laptop that worked well, but had some lag between the video stream and the display on screen. Even using VLC to get the stream directly I could only get down to about a 0.5 second lag. Do they have cards that are instantaneous, or close enough to play games?
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    Page not found. What happened to the original article?
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Fixed! Thanks for the heads-up.