Anyone know a good free tool for cleaning up Itunes?

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Science & Tech
Here is the deal. The Mrs. uses Itunes on my beloved gaming PC. I don't want it, but when you are a married man, sometimes you have to make sacrifices.

I've formatted and re installed things so many times, I've really mucked up the works, Itunes has so many dead links littered all over the place, sometimes multiples per song, and the library is huge, thousands of songs, so fixing it manually would be a heck of a chore.

Anyone know a good tool or method for cleaning this all up? There seem to be many that I could spend $40 on, but I'm cheap. Free is better if possible. Thanks!

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2011
    If all your MP3's are intact. Then just blow away the itunes listings and re-add them all back in.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I agree. Wipe and re-import.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Do I just delete the library file, or do I delete everything from inside the application itself?
    edited November 2011
    Just delete everything from inside the application itself. HOWEVER make sure that when you delete it you don't accidentally delete the MP3's as well. There should be a prompt - test it on one or two songs first. But typically you delete the song from itunes then a second message should pop up asking if you want to also delete the mp3.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I guess a backup wouldn't be a bad idea
    edited November 2011
    kryyst wrote:
    Just delete everything from inside the application itself. HOWEVER make sure that when you delete it you don't accidentally delete the MP3's as well. There should be a prompt - test it on one or two songs first. But typically you delete the song from itunes then a second message should pop up asking if you want to also delete the mp3.

Got it, thanks!
    edited November 2011
    This method worked brilliantly, nice clean organized itunes library with no dead links again. Thanks guys.
    edited November 2011
    Glad it all worked out for you.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    uninstall.exe

trololol
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Moar liek Add/Remove Programs

might not have a dedicated uninstaller.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    ...and I was going to say; "Tape the Ipod to a model rocket with an explosive warhead."

Guess I always the one thats over the top. :rolleyes2