[BLOG] Grinding Brakes... In Woman's Head?

QCHQCH Ancient GuruChicago Area - USA Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
When your 17 year old daughter says...
"The breaks are making weird sounds... like grinding."
What would you think? I thought...
"The brakes were only done 2 or 3 years ago and the van is only driven 8,000 miles a year, they cannot be bad yet. Must be a 17 year old's lack of driving experience."
So... a week or so goes by and my wife chimes in with the same complaint. So Yesterday (Saturday) I decide to play along and take the van for a test drive... OH CRAP, THE BRAKES ARE BAD. I pull into the driveway, get the floor jack out, dig around for the lug nut lock key, and remove the drivers side tire. What do I find? A trashed rotor and absolutely no brake pad. Just the metal backing against the rotor.

So... you're thinking "So what Q, just take it in and be done with it." Well, I leaving for a week long trip in which I need to drive and the van will need to be driven by my wife all week. I need this fixed real quick. I call a local automotive repair chain and see if they have time to inspect, quote, and repair my brakes. They do so I drive there and have them take a look. After an hour, they come in and hand me the quote... $450 for just the front brakes but they can do them today (yesterday). They do have a life time guaranty but I am not about to spend that much on a 8 year old, 110k Mazda MPV.

OK, so Q is looking at the clock... 3:00pm on Saturday. Sunday booked with a family engagement that cannot be avoided and a repair that has to be done by Monday. Not looking good.

If you were a betting man you'd probably bet against Q getting this done without having to drop close to $500. What you don't know is that I use to be a medium mechanic (like 12 years ago). Off I go to Autozone, walk in and have the clerk look up rotors, pads, hardware for my Van. All in stock. I grab a can of brake cleaner and anti-squeak brake pad spray. I walk out $160 lighter and on my way home.

At 4:00 pm, I pull into the driveway and begin the task of doing a front end brake job. At 6:30 pm I lower the van down and take it out for a test drive. Brakes work great and no grinding or even a squeak.

So time for the break down... $450 verses $160. I saved $290 and only 2.5 hrs of work. HA HA HA... I win. And I have a 5 year warranty on the parts too. ;)

Comments

• jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    That's awesome. I wish I wasn't completely illiterate when it comes to doing useful things like that.

cheers to that :jared:
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Here's to modern brakes that are easily serviced! Well done sir.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Here's to the power of DIY! Great job, Q.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    yeh, disc brakes are so easy to replace it's almost a sin. I do the work on all my cars if I have the tools, which I usually do. (helps to have access to a pit and shop full of tools). I refuse to pay someone that much money to do a menial task.