[BLOG] Old School Is Cool

ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Last Tuesday, CB posted an entry in the Gaming section called New Releases for The Week of Mechs and Dark Corridors, and in that article was a game named The Dark Spire that was described as a "homage to old school first-person RPG games." This got me to thinking, there are a lot of "old school" games that I played many years ago and others I wish I had. So I figured, why not go back and play some of those classics (and perhaps some non-classics) and see if my perspective on them has changed after all these years.

To this end, I decided I was going to go ahead and dig up some of the old games I still have, as well as procure others I never got the chance to play. However, I had to determine what actually constituted "old school". Ultimately, I settled on using the date of release of a given game, in this case, that the release of the original run of a game had to have taken place at least 10 years ago. So as of this blog, that would be any game made in 1999 or earlier.

I was able to find several old games for cheap and the first of them came in today. I'm going to begin playing it and will post my thoughts on it sometime next week. What I'd like is some suggestions for what "old school" (using the date guideline above) games I should try to get (either PC or console). I've intentionally not mentioned the ones I already have, or have already ordered, as I don't want to give away anything about my future posts. Hopefully, this topic will spark some fond memories. I know it has for me. :)

Comments

• HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    I'm not old enough to be old school, though I am interested in what you find; will be intriguing to see how games have changed over the last decade.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    Wizardy from SirTech... that was my first "video game". It was an Apple IIe game... Spent all x-mas break playing it with my Dad... awesome.

Time to dig up an Apple II emulator... :D
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    if you haven't already, check out www.gog.com, classic games for no more than $9.99.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    Winfrey:

Yea, I've looked at www.gog.com. I've already identified some games from there I'll be looking at in the future. :) It's definitely a good place to find many older games.