Church gets fit

ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho KingMadison Heights, MI Icrontian
I could go on with I need to get fit and lose weight and how I want to go back to how I looked when I was doing professional wrestling. But I am just going to shut up and head to the gym already.

Current weight: 190lbs
JBoogalooTushon

Comments

• JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Good luck, brotha!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Eat 1900 cals/day. Do 300 calories of cardio a day. Lift 4 days a week.

1.3 lbs/week gone. Like clockwork.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Not to seal Binh's thread but: How would you extrapolate that out to 280lb?
    Eat 1500 calories, or move 500 calories. (Not both). Or change nothing and be happy with 1.3/wk.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    thanks for the advice Thrax.
    I'd say before ya head out and hit the gym, start eating less, etc...what are you looking to do? Build size, build strength, both, drop weight, maintain weight, doing it for looks? Different fitness approaches will provide different results. Lowering calorie intake, lifting and cardio is very generalized (Thrax is pretty right on with the 1-2lb loss a week being the max and staying healthy).
    Nutrition, lifting with a purpose (size, looks, strenght, etc...) and rest are HUGE factors in fitness and overall health as well. The balancing of foods (fats, proteins and carbs...yes, carbs are good contrary to popular belief) is also extremely helpful and will help you not only look externally good, but keep your inerds healthy too! Also, there is mental training/health that comes with fitness and weight loss (giving up certain things to eat/drink, cutting back, substituting, scale watching, water retention, etc...all lead to a certain level of stress) All of these should be taken into consideration when jumping into a plan. Change for life! :)

Here's a GREAT bit of info from the Gym Jones website regarding lifting:
    1-4 reps increase pure strength but do not increase muscle mass 4-9 reps increase strength together with muscle mass 10-15 reps increase muscular strength, muscular endurance and muscle mass 16-30 reps increase muscular endurance with little to no increase in muscle mass 31-50 reps increase muscular endurance with no effect on muscle mass 50-100 reps increase muscular endurance, cardio-respiratory endurance, and there will be a possible loss of muscle mass (or fat) but absolutely no increase in strength.

A bit of great nutritional advice from some of the fellas on another site I'm part of:
    - Drink water throughout the day. Dehydration can hamper performance in a major way. A glass of water should be taken at every meal.
    - Frequent meals, six to eight times a day. This keeps metabolism high, and makes sure you have plenty of energy and nutrients for both activities and recovery throughout the day.
    - The primary goal of nutrition is maximizing health and performance. Depending on your secondary goal, the amount of calories varies, diet itself does not. If you want to lose weight take smaller portions, if you want to gain weight do the opposite. The rules of diet do not change, only the amount of food taken in (and of course your workout regimen).
    - Whole natural foods, rich in the nutrients that processing tends to destroy. Anything that contains sugars for example should contain the vitamins and minerals that are supposed to accompany those sugars. This means no fizzy drinks and other empty sugar sources, select your food by nutrient density.
    - Every meal should consist of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. Diets that avoid either one of these things will have a negative effect on performance and your general health.
    - Most of your carbohydrate intake should come from fruits, vegetables or at worst whole multi grain bread.
    - Variation, don't eat the same food every day.
    - There's no such thing as patented food. Natural food can not be patented.
    - Buy your food fresh if possible, preservatives can be unhealthy. It's not always feasible, but worth keeping it in mind. Frozen, if done rapidly, also preserves many nutrients.
    - If you want to lose weight your calorie expenditure should exceed your intake. There's no magic involved. Stored fat needs to be used for energy and energy will not be generated if there is no activity. Any supplement that promises magic weight loss without workouts is a scam. The Hydroxicut disaster should serve as a lesson.

Easy diet fixes:
    - Vegetable soup with meat balls. Provides quality protein and animal fats through meat. Nutritional value is very high because of the different vegetables used. Adding garlic, onion, etc. will increase the nutritional value even more. Frozen vegetables are cheap and rich in nutrients.
    - Herbal teas. An easy way to take in vitamins and other phytochemicals (like anti-oxidants for example) you would not get from many other food sources. Green teas, herbs like ginseng, nettle, mint, the possibilities are endless.
    - Smoothies. Many people find it hard to eat large amounts of fruits, but not so with smoothies. Yogurt and quark provide the fats and proteins, fruit takes care of the rest. Add flaxseed to make it even better.
    - Salads. Raw vegetables with all the nutrients still in it. Add some eggs (minus the yolk is preferred), dressing or home made mayonnaise, pieces of apple, pine seeds, etc.
    - Trail mix. Mixed nuts and dried fruits like raisins, cranberries or goji berries. Easy for when you're commuting or just a quick snack during work hours.

This is just a tiny bit of info that's been beneficial to a TON of people I know (I just learned of this one and recently (today, lol) will begin to incorporate in my workouts:
    tinyurl.com/4zfsmlw

I'd highly recommend getting a few things to help at the house if you don't have access to a gym all the time:

Purchase a kettlebell (best one for the money I've seen): Start with a 16kg KB (I have a 16 and getting a 20kg here soon)
    http://tinyurl.com/d5zbovn

Here's my pullup bar: Extremely reliable and does no damage to your doorframe:
    http://tinyurl.com/c7tdb4h

Here's a good sample workout that I was just recently told about (I already had a pullup bar and a kettlebell prior to this):

"I keep it short,simple, and on a budget so anyone can do it.

I stress that you use the high-tension technique of staying tight throughout the move and keep the rest periods 3-5 minutes long.

Another point I would like to make is to adjust the weight according to body feel. If i cannot finish a 4th set of ''Pistols" (one legged squats) with a 45lb kettle bell, I will finish with the 35lb KB or just bodyweight alone. You will have days where you will feel stronger than others and it is here that the "Greasing the groove" method comes into play.

3-5 Exercises

3-5 Sets

3-5 Repetitions

3-5 Minutes of rest between the sets

Below are the exercises that I use.

'Pistol' or one-legged squat

One armed pushup

Pullup/chinup combined with a leg raise at the bottom of the movement

Deadlift

Kettlebell clean and press

One arm dumbbell clean and push press"

This is a great strenght gaining workout!

One last thing I have hanging in a few places around my house:

4 Key Scenarios in exercising – Strive for #2 constantly

1) If you’re gaining muscle and fat, you need to reel in your calories the next week.
    2) If you’re gaining muscle and losing fat, that’s usually exactly what you want to happen. Don’t change anything that week.
    3) If you lose muscle and fat, unless you’re trying to bulk down, you need to up the protein a bit to spare muscle.
    4) If you’re losing muscle and gaining fat, you need to increase your calorie intake overall because you’re in starvation mode.

Hopefully this provides you with a bit more than you need initially, but should give you a pretty good start as to what you're looking to do and what could/couldn't work, or what you may want to add/delete or substitute.

Again, best of luck to ya on your fitness quest!

Thrax said:

Eat 1500 calories, or move 500 calories. (Not both). Or change nothing and be happy with 1.3/wk.

I think the latter would probably work best for him to start. Just cut 500 calories from the diet in any way (intake reduction or physical activity). Recommending a 1500 calorie diet from the start may be a bad idea, unless you know that he's sitting right about 2000-2200 calories a day. Just a thought.
    I've been eating small meals for a while now. I am trying to build up my body a bit while working on the core. These suggestions has been great!
    JBoogaloo
    JBoogaloo said:

Thrax said:

I think the latter would probably work best for him to start. Just cut 500 calories from the diet in any way (intake reduction or physical activity). Recommending a 1500 calorie diet from the start may be a bad idea, unless you know that he's sitting right about 2000-2200 calories a day. Just a thought.
    Even sedentary, his TDEE is in the range of 2600-2800. The benefit of having a higher BF% is that you can eat less, as opposed to moving more, early on and still lose weight. It all depends on which one is personally easier for you to accomplish.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    I can do 700+ cardio in one sitting pretty easily, so I could probably cut to 2100 and still be able to hit a reasonable loss rate.
    I've been lacking in my work out since I was sick all of December and parts of January. I will be getting back to it since my gf and I and our friends signed up to do a 5K run.
    JBoogaloo
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    I got a recumbent exercise bike at Xmas and am just about a month into rebuilding myself. I'm never going to run a marathon or look like the Hulk, I just need to be in better shape. 6' and 190lbs when started, only down about 5 lbs but then I'm not especially overweight - at 175 I'd be very happy, and my doc says I'm perfectly fine where I am BMI wise. So, I try and ride the bike for (indicated on the display) around 350 calories worth, then lift some moderate weights. I'm pretty sedentary and I smoke, so the bike has the dual effect of greatly increasing my wind/endurance though I think I'm past the steepest part of that curve.

I used to be very strong and tough for my size - always pretty skinny, at 30 I weighed just over 150 but was pounding lots of weights, playing sports, etc. Late 30's I really fell off the fitness wagon and now, at 49, even after just a month of working out I'm probably in the best shape I've been for 10 years. I don't watch what I eat, and don't eat especially well, but I have a reasonably good metabolism and have always eaten at least 4 and often 5 meals a day, which I think helps....plus it's pretty obvious from both sides of my family that I'm genetically blessed, no real fatties on either side at least not grossly so, and my brothers are trim and my dad was up until the day he died at 66. Also, I find if I just cut out soda pop (mmmmmm PEPSI!) from my diet and just have one or two a week, it helps a lot because the replacement drink is water.