Winamp's Final Hour - what to get before it dies?

BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
edited December 2013 in Internet & Media

After 15 years of whipping the llama's ass, AOL is calling it quits on Winamp. While there's rumors that Microsoft is considering buying Winamp and its radio service Shoutcast and fans plead for its salvation, it's looking like December 20th 2013 mark the end of what happens to be my music player of choice.

In about two weeks, AOL will shut down the Winamp website, and dying with it will be their library of skins and plugins. Before that happens though, we have one final chance to snap up the best Winamp has to offer. But what is worth grabbing?

So here's the question: do any of you have any favorite skins or plugins you would recommend to others? It very well may be now or never folks.

Comments

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Yup.
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Can't say I've used it at all in the past decade, ever since I found VLC. I am sad to see this go though. It was a great media player when I used it. Many fond memories of weird music with visualizations. Visualizations were the bomb back before playing music videos became mainstream. I remember skinning Winamp with a new skin almost everyweek with whatever new game/movie came out. Also the iconic "Winamp! It really whips the llama's ass!" after every upgrade.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I've been using AIMP3 for a while. My only beef with it is the lack of Milkdrop (there are ways to make it sorta work with it, but it has some performance issues), which is why I still use Winamp Portable when I want visualizations.
    Bandrik
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Winamp for life. I will never use another MP3 player.
    pigflipperUPSLynx
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Thrax said:

Winamp for life. I will never use another MP3 player am Tim.

fixed
    midga
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    mertesn said:

Thrax said:

Winamp for life. I will never use another MP3 player am Tim.

fixed
    Accurate. I honestly, no troll, used Winamp maybe 3 times total, trying it out over a number of years, and never liked it. Foobar has worked great for me as a media library and VLC/MPC for most other uses.
    Bandrik
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Winamp was the first MP3 player I ever used, before there was another mp3 player to choose from. The interface is familiar and works exactly how I want an MP3 player's UI to work. Plus it's lightweight, easy to use, and performs well. Couldn't ask for anything more, so why change?
    PirateNinja
    Well you're fine now, but if you're still holding on to it in 6 years, we'll have to stage an intervention. I'm putting this on my calendar.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2013
    It Really Whips The Llamas Ass!

-Digi
    edited December 2013
    I'll throw out one of my favorite suite of plugins: the Chipamp bundle. I listen to chiptunes quite a lot (inb4 NERD!!!) and with one download you can listen to everything from Atari up to PlayStation. If you're new to chiptunes (ripped old-school videogame music with tiny filesizes), the site explains them and has links to download the song files.

Each console's plugin has its own group of settings so you can customize to your liking. Personally I set them all to "play forever" so it loops like it would in the original game (plays the intro part of the song, then loops the rest of it). I'm a fan.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    FLAC and SHN plugins, if you listen to lossless music formats. Other than that, I love WinAMP the way it is. WinAMP til I die. Or something like that.
    Bandrik
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    I used to use Winamp constantly and loved it! (true story)

But since my memory of what music is, was stolen from me by entities who made me forget who they were (not true story), I now can only hear the sounds of the wind through the bones, in my garden of squirrel skeletons (still, very not true story).
    midgaBandrik
  • Foobar2000

/thread

(really though, it sometimes takes a bit to get it set up the way you like, but it's the best audio library/player I've found for Windows)
  • There was something fun and now nostalgic about winamp. I used it probably when I was 13 and mp3s were brand new. It was the only gig in town. I made skins for it of girls in bikinis and other stupid stuff. It was on my "application installs" cd I used after I would reformat and reinstall Windows. Of course back then it was Windows 2000 or bust, Windows XP was the Windows 8 of the day. But no matter if you were an xp or 2k fan, Winamp was there for you.

I loved Winamp and the time I spent with it, but I retired years ago and I won't look back.

God speed winamp. You did us good.
    Signal
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    I used Winamp for so long but I eventually moved on to iTunes. I love library management and Genius was a plus too. Now I don't even use iTunes. It's all Spotify now. I don't even pirate music anymore. Look ma' I'm legal.
    pigflipperRahnalH102JBoogaloo
  • Stahp.
    There is only once in a rare time period that I can be hipster. Let me do eet.
    TushonJBoogaloo
    DAE whip the llama's ass?
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    I used to have a pretty badass Winamp plugin which would render your music using low-level features on the SoundBlaster AWE32 and 64 ISA sound cards. 192 kHz, 24 bit high-definition audio on ancient hardware. Low-level code written in Pascal. Good times.
    midga
    Reminder: today's the FINAL day to visit Winamp's website and download the latest version, plugins, skins, visualizations, etc.

midga
    Update: just noticed a TechCrunch article from yesterday that postulates a rumor that AOL is finalizing a deal to sell it. I hope it's true.
    midga
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Well, Winamp's site is still up, so there's that. Hopefully that means good news for us.

I'll use winamp for the rest of time. I've got installers saved, something like 50+ skins, and lotsa plugins and viz. Love it to death.

Recommend the MMD3 skin, if you can still download it. It's my all-time favorite.
    UPSLynx said:

Recommend the MMD3 skin, if you can still download it. It's my all-time favorite.

I'm quite disappointed that isn't Middle Management Dino

UPSLynx
    edited January 2014

Good (albiet OLD) news, everyone! Winamp is now safe once again to rule the pasturelands called our PCs and, um, spit upon our... eardrums...

Er, anyways, yes. As of January 17 2014, Winamp has officially been sold by AOL with Radionomy Group picking it up and will be adding to it even more internet radio stations to choose from. Sounds like this may have been a blessing in disguise. Time will tell.
    trooster89