Farm....update (few pics)

dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
edited July 2004 in Folding@Home
The job is not quite finished as yet. Got the puters moved into the new shelving. From the time i shut them all down, to restarting the 1st one, lost about 4 hrs worth of Folding. The last one got turned on about 5 1/2 hrs from shut down.

Done some of the cabling, just need to sort out the rest coming from Sally's main puter. At least that is a stand-alone unit and it, along with my notebook, kept on Folding.

A couple of before.

Comments

• dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited July 2004
    A few after.
    edited July 2004
    3 pics just for Thrax. (and other AMD lovers).

Bit dusty when i took the pics. Been cleaned since.

The old pavilion folds as "dragonV8". The other one is Sally's. A XP2500+.
  • BuiesCreek847BuiesCreek847 In a van, down by the river, NC Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    That's a good looking job! :thumbsup:

Note the AC unit right behind it to. :Rocker:
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Wow, looks neat - nice job! It's cool that you've got so many comps going in one place.
    edited July 2004
    That's a good looking job! :thumbsup:

Note the AC unit right behind it to. :Rocker:

Actually, the A/C sits to the right once the shelving is rolled (it's got wheels too, hehe) into it's final possie. To the left of the puters is a window, which in winter lets a nice cool breeze in. Not much good in summer, hence the A/C will come into play.

Once ALL wiring/cabling has been tidied, i will move it over and take a few shots of the finished product.
    edited July 2004
    EMT wrote:
    Wow, looks neat - nice job! It's cool that you've got so many comps going in one place.

Thanks guys.

Got to keep them close together as they are all hooked up through KVM switch boxes. Had to make it as easy as possible for Sally as she has a very bad back problem and has enough trouble just walking. This way she can check them all without leaving her desk.

Like Muddocktor, my job takes me away from home so it has to be user friendly so to speak.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    Looks great! :thumbsup:
  • PressXPressX Working! New
    edited July 2004
    dragonV8 wrote:
    they are all hooked up through KVM switch boxes

Nice farm... How noisey is it?

Have you thought of using remote admin software such as PC anywhere or as free version of it instead of a KVM?
    edited July 2004
    Noise is noticable, due to 9 in the rack and Sally's stand-alone, though it was a lot worse prior to changing the cases over to the Antec super lanboys. We found them to be reasonably quiet, with 2 x 120mm fans each. We'll most likely change the bottom 2 (1 in centre, 1 on left) to the same cases a bit later. This will make it a bit more even. Can't change the "old" 850 Athlon. Just not worth doing more to it financially.

Have thought about running remote software, but as we have had so many puter problems in the past, did not want to add more possible ones. (just being a bit of a chicken, hehe).
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2004
    Very sweet setup there. Looks all neat and clean. Glad everything went over with no big problems.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2004
    Very nice indeed. Next time you pop along to the UK you can call round and tidy mine up if you like. It's only two so it won't take you long. Give me a call and I'll have the kettle on.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Wow!

That's a very impressive job you've done. I <i>especially</i> like the job you've done with your network cabling. Good job.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2004
    yeah the mounting on that netgear and the cabling involved are top-notch

nice looking setup :thumbsup:
  • edited July 2004
    That's a great looking job you've done there, Jon! :thumbsup: Everything looks so neat and tidy and organized. Maybe seeing yours will motivate me into cleaning up the stuff around my farm now. :buck:
    edited July 2004
    muddocktor wrote:
    That's a great looking job you've done there, Jon! :thumbsup: Everything looks so neat and tidy and organized. Maybe seeing yours will motivate me into cleaning up the stuff around my farm now. :buck:

Hehehe............notice you can't see much of the 14' x 27' room.

There is a very good reason for that..................I don't want to embarrass myself in public. :wink:

I am working towards cleaning it up a bit. Figured i would start with the "important" stuff first, the folding puters.

By putting our computer books into the shelving, this gives Sally a tidier cabinet behind her. If i can keep going this way, any future pics may show a bit more of the room. :)