Upgrading net work

edited January 2004 in Science & Tech
Hello every one i have a question im hoping someone can help me out with. Im upgrading this week to commercial version of cable internet. So i have to prepare. Currently im running my network in a ring configuration with thin wire "coax". Im upgrading this all to cat5 cable wich is already ran to a home run location where the modem will be installed. Before all internet connections ran through the small business server wich had a dial up connection wich all other computers shared as well as intranet. My question is with this new configuration im going to be using will i need to use the router or will my small business server handle all the network connection in this type of configuration? Am i going about this the right way am i missing something?
Thank you for any help you can give

sbs.jpg

Comments

• PhemoPhemo Hampshire, England Member
    edited January 2004
    I guess you don't really need to use the router, and you could simply have the cable modem hooked upto the server and have that doing the job of the connection sharing. However, it's probably much easier to just use the router anyways. Is there any particular reason you'd rather not use the router, or was it just because you're familiar with the configuration of SBS? From the way I understand it, the choice is yours, really, but I'd personally use the router. I just prefer having the connection sharing done that way - it's less work for the server to do, too :)
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2004
    I would use the router because it will handle the switching and take that load off the server. You can still use the server as the DHCP host if you wich or have the router do it, makes little difference. But the biggest advantage is that it gives you a firewall between the world and your server.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by kryyst
    I would use the router because it will handle the switching and take that load off the server. You can still use the server as the DHCP host if you wich or have the router do it, makes little difference. But the biggest advantage is that it gives you a firewall between the world and your server.

I think this is the best idea.
  • edited January 2004
    thank you all for responding i think i will take your advise and use the router i was going o use my sbs firewall rras which is good. but less strain on server is always better. i just hope i will not have any mail server problems with this sine mail server has it's
    Is this type configuration the best one to use then?

own ipsbshost.jpg
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited January 2004
    I don't see a router in that scenerio? It should be where the SBS is, and the SBS should just be located off the switch with the other machines (you'll have to assign the machines the SBS ip as their DHCP gateway manually if my networking training is up to speed :p ).

**edit -- sorry, meant DHCP not DNS host/gateway**
  • edited January 2004
    thank you stoopid that does make sense
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2004
    If you need a machine to be visible to the outside world just put a hole in the router. You could either put a DMZ hole in it and allow all ports on a certain machine to go through it. Or just pass certain ports as needed like say smtp, html and ftp ports if you wanted a mail/web/ftp server.