Pwned by Partition Magic?

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited October 2003 in Science & Tech
Well my 40GB WD HDD died along with XP, 2K3 and my music. I install XP over my Game partition which is on the 1st of 2 80GB HDD's along with a "Stuff" partition. So now I get a partition magic boot disk to partition and format the 1st HDD. I transfer everything from the 2nd partition on the 1st HDD to the 2nd HDD. All goes well and I start to install XP again (I was bored :-/). After the instalation finishes and the system reboots, scan disk starts checking all the partitions. First time it happens. I continue configuring. I transfer everything back from the 2nd HDD to a partition on the first HDD and when I try to access a folder, it's gives me a error saying that the file is corrupt or missing. Don't know why but I reboot. While booting scan disks comes up again to check all the partitions but now it gives me a error of all the files that I transfered and it starts repairing them. Finishes rebooting and the files work. I go on to install the Soundblaster drivers (I install programs on a seperate (sp?) partition) and I reboot. Boots fine but none of the creative programs work. Sound does work. I reboot again and scan disk does it's thing again. I install more programs and the same thing happens. What I did noticed is that Partition Magic didn't actually format. I did all the partitioning and I put that it format using the NTFS file system. I hit apply and it does the partitioning but I don't see it format. I procede to install xp and it lists the partition with a unknown file system. I finish installing and when I go to disk management it shows the partitions with ntfs file system. So what gives? Did I do something wrong or did Partition Magic screw up?

...and again sorry for bad grammer :-/

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    When a HarDrive dies, it's usually dead.

Personally, I would never try to use a harddrive that has to be resurected. Your information is too valuable to be stored on something that has a history of failure. At the first sign of breakdown (frequent bad clusters, or light clicking noises, etc.) I transfer my information to a new drive, and scrap the old one.

When harddrives go bad, there's no comming back, it just gets worse.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    CBDroege had this to say
    When a HarDrive dies, it's usually dead.

Personally, I would never try to use a harddrive that has to be resurected. Your information is too valuable to be stored on something that has a history of failure. At the first sign of breakdown (frequent bad clusters, or light clicking noises, etc.) I transfer my information to a new drive, and scrap the old one.

When harddrives go bad, there's no comming back, it just gets worse.

Er... he isn't using the dead drive. Read his post. He said that the 40GB drive died and he is now using his 80GB drive (one of).

BH: Bring up a command prompt and type: chkdsk C: /f /x /r
    See if that helps.

NS
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited October 2003
    Go into partition magic and try formating again, but this time do a secure erase and see what happens, is it making any funny noises or anything? maybe you need to secure erase everything a couple times, then try scanning it with scandisk a couple times, something is wrong.... hmmm...

*goes off into wonderland thinking*

:confused:
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I see, I must have read it too fast.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I fixed it by formating the drives from within XP. I guess PM8 did a half-assed format.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2003
    CBDroege had this to say
    I see, I must have read it too fast.
    Maybe he just typed it too slow... ;D

I have had big trouble with PM8 and XP - WinXP never seems to like the way PM8 formats the drive, and wants to format it again on its own.