Galactic Civ II: Dread Lords! (Cheapskate Game Review)

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Science & Tech
CB give us his unique perspective of yet another gem in the gaming bargain bin:
The 'tutorial' section is a miserable collection of videos about how to play the game, which is like learning to drive by watching episodes of "Speed Racer": You can't actually learn anything because can't actually see what Speed Racer is doing with his hands and feet all the time, not to mention the trite, formulaic plot, the use of only six drawings (just moved around on the screen a little) for the entire series, and that stupid dancing monkey that doesn't make any sense at all.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    This review read like an episode of the Family Guy, and yet I know that it was written by CB instead of manatees. It feels like the humor was forced into a review that would have otherwise flowed properly, had it maintained its serious nature as a review of the game, rather than trying to mimic the hilarious writing style of the Nibiru review.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Well, the first version of this review was serious. Since this was a good game, with nothing rediculous to make fun of... I was asked to make it funnier, however... :/

This is the only thing I've ever written for Icrontic of which I'm not personally happy with the final version.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Don't let editors get to you! I made that mistake in one of my reviews for Keith, just because he didn't like the game (this was WAAAAY back at Icrontic Games when I was running the site).
    edited July 2007
    Keebs is the editor and one of the owners. It's his show. If he had disagreed with the review, I wouldn't have rewritten it... he just wanted a different style, that's his call to make.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    And yet the decision to post the final copy was not your own? I don't get what's going on here.
  • edited July 2007
    DOWN WITH THE MAN!!!! Post what you want.
    edited July 2007
    Like any professional publication, this one has an editor, and the editor has the final say on everything that gets published. If everybody just posted whatever they wanted, willy-nilly, it wouldn't be a journal anymore, it'd be a community blog. An editor is important to having a cohesive, professional, focused publication.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    Like any professional publication, this one has an editor, and the editor has the final say on everything that gets published. If everybody just posted whatever they wanted, willy-nilly, it wouldn't be a journal anymore, it'd be a community blog. An editor is important to having a cohesive, professional, focused publication.

I agree, but as to changing your actual style? That takes away from the message you are trying to get across and can cheapen (is that even a word?)the material you are working on. Then again, I also understand the value of having an editor go over your work to make sure its presented in a clear, concise, and easily read form. I also understand what its like writing for someone else and having to follow their directions in order to get published (see my previous stint with the running of Apus Hardware, Icrontic, and Icrontic Games for more information).