New Headset

JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
edited February 2008 in Hardware
Hi, all! I couldn't find a sound area so I'm posting this here, please move if there are more suitable locations. I'm currently in the market for a new headset. I'd prefer one who completely covers your ear (like a cup) and goes over your head. It needs to have a mic (for Skype/TS). I currently have a Koss SB/45 and I'm quite happy with it. It's bit over a year old, but it's been dropped in the floor a few times and it's becoming quite broken as it is made out of really bad plastic. As for sound quality it needs to be rather good. I don't have any real speakers, as I use only the headset for gaming, music, movies, you name it. I would like it to have a regular jack, but if anyone can recommend good USB ones, I will consider it. Budget is between 400-750 nok ($80-$150). I would really like it to have noise cancelling, but I don't know if it's within my range. It needs to have good isolation, to save the enviroment outside from the sounds on the inside of the headset.

I have been looking at quite a few, and of the more interesting is this:

http://www.cheater.no/produkt/876/20/76/sl_8794_medusa_5.1_usb_headset.html
(norwegian)

It has 5.1 sound, thats surround isn't it:o? How does that work on a headset? I thought they were stereo only...

http://www.cheater.no/produkt/874/20/76/sl_8760_triton_high_qualitity_headset.html

This one looks quite good too, altough none of these have all the qualities I want..

I'm sorry if i demand a bit too much, please tell me if I do.

Comments

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Well, I love my headset. But it's probably not good enough for what you want/need.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the tip! It looks quite good, how comfortable is it to wear? How much sound does it leak to the surroundings? Example: If I'm on an airplane, watching a video or listening to music with a normal sound level, will the person in the seat next to me hear anything? How rugged is it?
    edited February 2008
    I think it's incredibly comfortable, but I have pretty small ears, I wear it the entire time I'm at home home computer, so 4-7 hours stretches are no problem.

It doesn't leak sound at all as far as I know. And it's not actually noise canceling, it's just pretty good at keeping external noise out.

I can't attest to it's ruggedness...I haven't manhandled it much.
    edited February 2008
    There is one more question I have after watching a few pics... Does it sit on top of the actual ear, or does it sit around it? I mean, does it cover the ear completely or does it just sit on top of the outer ear?
    edited February 2008
    Ah...I forgot that you mention that you prefer over-the-ear. This one only sits on top of the ears, not completely surround them.
    edited February 2008
    Right.. I had a Logitech headset not too different from those and they were a nightmare in my opinion.. My ears hurt after not more than an hour of use, and I didn't get used to it, as I thought I would.. But thanks, anyway!
  • R4CK3RR4CK3R Oklahoma
    edited February 2008
    If you want a good set of phones, Sennheiser is IMO the way to go.
    You pay for what you get: really badass headphones!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    R4CK3R wrote:
    If you want a good set of phones, Sennheiser is IMO the way to go.
    You pay for what you get: really badass headphones!

Yep, they'll last you a lifetime. You really will never buy a pair again, or <i>want</i> to buy another <i>brand</i> ever again.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    what about the razer brand headphones? are they any good? im a razer fanboy...
    edited February 2008
    Razer products are kind of like the Pontiac Solstice GXP. They're neat, sporty, stylish, and an okay product.

Sennheiser is more like a Pagani Zonda.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    btw, 5.1 in a headphone just means there are multiple drivers in there that can be arranged so it sounds like center channels, left and right, and rears. It's really neat tech, but a little bit of overkill to me. Not that I wouldn't get some anyway. ;)

Seconded on the Sennheisers. I have some wireless ones and some HD25s, both of which are utterly fantastic, but the HD25s aren't circumaural, just on-ears.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I have a logitech headset I like a lot. Hey, so these Sennheiser headsets...if you sit on them, will they be okay?...or if you put a chair on them, or step on them, or something in your room spontaneously combusts? Cuz...I'm on my 3rd headset....and I broke my boyfriend's once.... (3rd headset in 2 years, btw)
    edited February 2008
    When the headset costs $200, you begin to watch where you step.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    or something in your room spontaneously combusts?

Matters on the size of the combustion....

You cant really tell...if its a block of lead you should be fine, but if its a gallon of napalm or if your dog has a tendancy to run while its on fire, id watch out. :bigggrin:
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    When the headset costs $200, you begin to watch where you step.

See, it's not that I'm not cautious with my things, it's that technology HATES me, and tries to either kill itself or be as far away from me as possible. I paid $300 dollars for an Ipod, and I dropped it and broke it within two months of having it. Two more Ipods quickly followed it, though I did not break those- they just had program failure or something. Then, I paid $150 for a digital camera for myself, and guess what? It's missing now- it has been for months. I fricking babied that camera, since I know my tech track record- I bought it a nice case, I carried it like it was an egg- and now it has simply disappeared.

Perhaps it is what my Dad claims- that I just don't have any appreciation for my things, or the nice things that are given to me, but I paid hard earned money for those items. Why would I be careless with them?

Sighzorz. Stupid technology.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826504004

thats the set i just got, WORKS amazing great sound and voice.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    http://www.icemat.com/products/icema...iberia_headset

I hear these are outstanding. I've been thinking about buying a set for awhile now. Only problem is that it's not closed-ear. The ear muffs are open on the back, allowing ventillation, but sound escapes as well. Plus the mic isn't attatched, it clips to your shirt or wherever you want it. No big deal for me... I just don't know if I'd like the open ear.
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited February 2008
    I picked up a SteelSeries SteelSound 4H headset from Woot a couple months ago and I LOVE it.
    http://www.steelseries.com/us/products/audio

If you have the money, I would recommend the 5H, as they only use 1 cord to 1 earphone as opposed the 4H's split cord.

Why I love them so much:
    RETRACTABLE MIC!!! I need a headset for gaming, but like most people I use them for music, movies, etc and don't always need the mic sticking out in front of my face.

The cloth padding is a very nice change for me, coming from a pair of Sony around-ear headphones that had that fake-leathery material. It made my ears sweat, which is an obvious turn-off. The cloth however is very nice.

They do everything I need them to do for gaming. The sound just fine listening to music as well. I'm not a hardcore audiophile, so I can't attest to their "sound purity" or whatever. But I strongly recommend them.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I purchased the Plantronics .audio770 USB headset. So far they've been good, and the most comfortable headset I've ever worn. I wear glasses and most headsets cause headaches and pain around my ears from the pressure. Not so with these. Worth the $70 IMHO.
    edited February 2008
    Well, it's been quite hard to find what I really want. I guess I'm demanding too much. I personally stay away from on-ear headsets as much as possible, due to my ears being all weird and sensitive. I've decided to go with these: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=340930. It has a retractable microphone, and can be disassembled. A bit on the expensive side, but I'll manage. It's over the ear, but unfortunately has no noise cancelling. Test here: http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Peripherals/SteelSeries-SteelSound-5H-v2/.
    Thanks for all tips, help and input.
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited February 2008
    Good call, jokke. I managed to score a couple of the SteelSeries 5H V2's from the most recent woot-off, to replace my current 4H headset. I can't wait for them to arrive... not that I don't like the 4Hs. I'm just looking forward to the cloth braided cord and the ability to disassemble them when I pack up my work hardware to travel.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Steelseries are a great gaming headset. It does have a big punch in the bass and treble. But just like the Koss series of headphones/headsets, an audiophile wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. It's just a matter of personal taste. Punch or good, clean and crisp sound. Sennheisers have a mix of the 2 and that is why the audiophiles love them so much. I have 3 pairs of Sennheisers myself, but i only use one of them, for the iPod.

On the steelseries, make sure you have the mic against your chin when you use them for chatting in Skype, Ventrilo or whatever. Took me a while before i figured it out.