Valve posts a record year for Steam

mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Gaming

Comments

• BobbyDigiRobert Cometa ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    <3 Steam. Can't say much else.

edit: ok I can. Do want Steam App for Android. If I could manage my profile and steam trade from Android, I would do back flips.

-Digi
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    It makes me sad that EA had to go develop the abomination known as Origin instead of playing nice with Valve.

Origin is not really that bad, if this was 2003, but the years of Valve's work on STEAM really shows now when using a competing service.
  • quake101quake101 Ohio Icrontian
    I'm sorry but Origin is junk. Origin < Steam. :D
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    Not to defend Origin, but how much can you really learn about a system if you don't have someone with inside knowledge of how Steam works? Does anyone know if EA managed to steal anyone away from Valve to help develop Origin?

I mean look, I'll be the first to admit I'm no programmer - but if you don't have someone that implemented it the first time (Valve employee) to help do it a second time (Origin rollout), how successful would it really have been?

I'm genuinely asking, too. Of the programmers here, how many of you have been able to successfully replicate a program your boss/manager/whatever says "I like what x is doing, make it for us, too." I feel like it'd be damn near impossible unless it's open source, right?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I have done just that. It's just a matter of reverse engineering. It's difficult to pull off well regardless. Remember, Steam had issues when it first came out.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    <3 Steam. Can't say much else.

edit: ok I can. Do want Steam App for Android. If I could manage my profile and steam trade from Android, I would do back flips.

-Digi</p>
    There is one called Steam for Android. Haven't used it yet so I don't know how good it is.
  • Can't you log into steampowered.com through the phone's browser to perform the profile management and trading over the web?
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    Steam for Android is just a pretty frontend for the public facing bits of the steam community website, won't let you do anything you'd need to be logged in for.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Can't you log into steampowered.com through the phone's browser to perform the profile management and trading over the web?
    AFAIK you have to be in the Steam client to chat and or trade currently.

There is one called Steam for Android. Haven't used it yet so I don't know how good it is.
    Unless they have changed thier T&C (and this would be big) accessing the chat network from a non Valve client is against the T&C. Digi no likey breaking T&C, to much to lose if they feel the need to VAC ban me.

-Digi
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    @BobbyDigi I've heard that imo beta for android handles steam chat well. I'm not sure about trading though. Then again I'm not sure about the T&C because I haven't used it first hand.