MSI K8T NEO 2 hanging after POST

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited November 2004 in Hardware
I just built a new system with an MSI K8T NEO 2 and an A64 3500+ with crucial memory (ordered directly from MSI's compatibility page)

The system boots up fine, goes through POST, no problem.

When it finishes the POST (after the network PXE boot detection process), at the point where you would either go into the BIOS or start booting off of a drive, it just locks.

I can get into the BIOS - but as soon as the first BIOS screen comes up, it's frozen.

I have reset the CMOS and it didn't change anything. I tried a USB and a PS2 keyboard. I can't change any parameters in the BIOS like voltages or anything, because I can't get into the BIOS.

I can tell it's frozen because the numlock key stops working.

Any ideas? I gotta get this thing done today!

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Upgrade to bios 1.04 :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    I can't upgrade the bios - it won't boot off anything.

//ONE SECOND LATER:

I just discovered something....

I have a highpoint rocketraid 1640 in there - this particular machine has five SATA devices so I need the extra controller. When I remove it, everything's fine... :hrm:

now what?

I'll try the BIOS update now that I can actually boot the pig.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    I can't upgrade the bios - it won't boot off anything.

//ONE SECOND LATER:

I just discovered something....

I have a highpoint rocketraid 1640 in there - this particular machine has five SATA devices so I need the extra controller. When I remove it, everything's fine... :hrm:

now what?

I'll try the BIOS update now that I can actually boot the pig.
    Mine wouldn't even post with a highpoint 370 in it. I am led to believe this is a HIGHPOINT problem rather than a VIA/MSI problem.

There is my original K8T thread where I pointed out that some highpoint PCI devices don't function correctly.

My audigy and a wireless card work fine.

I upgraded my BIOS to fix a freezing issue.. hence my suggestion mate.
    edited September 2004
    Well this is the latest BIOS (v3.0 - there's no mention of 1.anything on MSI's site).

I found that if I shut off the PROMISE onboard SATA chip, the highpoint plays nice with the system. But one of the major problems now is that the optical drive is SATA (Plextor SATA DVD-+RW) - and the onboard VIA SATA chipset won't recognize it, but the promise will.... so, to sum up:

Promise+Highpoint = no boot, but SATA DVD recognized
    VIA + Highpoint = boot, but no SATA DVD :werr:

dammit
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited September 2004
    Prime, I've add a few problems with my lsi scsi card and A64 boards,

Asus K8V deluxe, any bios higher than 1.005 and the scsi card disappears so is unbootable and all devices on it diappear too.

Msi K8N Neo Platinum, all bioses will not allow to boot off the scsi card if the board is set up for sata raid. Again the option to boot off the scsi card disappears and the card is not found at boot up, switch raid off or make none bootable by not assigning any disks to the array and then all is fine.

I've done alot of searching but I haven't found a cure yet.
    edited September 2004
    I think I've got the controller issue worked out - I had to update the RocketRaid 1640 to the latest bios, and now everything just automagically works - all controllers turn on, etc. I could even boot off of the plextor SATA DVD drive. Nice.

However, now there's a new problem.

Win XP setup - Hangs at "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration".... omg

this is turning into a debacle in aluminum, silicone, and plastic.

I figured maybe the SATA optical drive would be too weird for XP setup, so I plugged in a legacy parallel IDE CD rom, along with a floppy (since Windows XP setup STILL NEEDS FREAKING FLOPPIES FOR DRIVERS - LAME) and it still does the exact same thing - hangs at the inspecting message.

I guess it's time to go back to "switching things off and on until something works :werr:
    edited September 2004
    Wow. Thankfully, somebody else out there had this obscure problem.

Turns out this particular board doesn't like USB mice/keyboards or SATA optical drives during WinXP install.

I had to disable "legacy USB support" in the BIOS, unplug my usb keyb/mouse, use a crappy old PS2 keyboard, hook up an IDE CD ROM, and put the XP CD in there, all in order to get this to work.

What a debacle.. HELLO THIS IS THE YEAR 2004 ALMOST 2005 PLZ SUPPORT MODERN HARDWARE KTHX
  • edited November 2004
    primesuspect "I had to disable "legacy USB support" in the BIOS" I'm having the same problem. I bought a KVM Switch for my 2 computers and i need to have USB Legacy Support enabled but if i do that then my computer will just stop on a black screen before it loads windows.. Any ideas?