"Windows cannot find 'C:\Program' Error

JonshandbrakeJonshandbrake PERTH, WESTERN AUSTRALIA Member
edited August 2009 in Science & Tech
Well Dragon has gone back to work and the Handbrake is posting - things must be bad. :rolleyes:

With all the problems we had during the weekend this seemed to be the least of all our probs.

Could someone please help.

During the installation or should I really say 'backup' of some of my data. In particular a small restore program called "Incredimail Data Manager V1.12" I was in the middle of restoring my data back to the program when the computer was accidently booted off, and now when I try to finish the restore I keep getting this. :bawling:

ERROR

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Program' make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button, and then search." :scratch:

Then I cannot get out of this. I have to CTL+ALT+DEL and end task the program.

This error does not happen on any other program only Incredimail Data Manager. I figure this was because this was the only program working when power was lost.

I have completely deleted the program, then removed all signs the program was on computer. That is I completely deleted it via the registry. Reboot, then got a completely new version of the program and re-installed. This was to no avail as the problem still remained.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I do the only thing 'I' can think of now and that is to either system repair or re-install system. This does however seem a little drastic. Oh!!! by the way I did try a system restore in fact several, but I don't seem to have a point that works :wtf:

I would be very grateful for any help.

Sally "the Handbrake"

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    You have a corrupt registry entry, unless you only gave part of the error.

Might have to wait for DragonV8 to come home from work, but basicly, the error says it is looking for a program but has only part of a path in registry:

'C:\Program' is part of a PATH, and part of a directory name ends it. The directory name should probably be: 'Program Files.'

Here's the only way I know to recover, and it uses a blend of the registry editor OR possibly just a startup shortcut AND a File Search or Find OR a My Computer or Windows Explorer search for the actual program.

Essentially, if the program starts from a startup shortcut, I bet it was in the middle of being written when the computer got rebooted. Thus, the place that windows is looking for the program is not stated right. The startup shortcuts are in the Start Menu folder and then down the directory tree within the programs|startup folder for the user ID that installed it.

IF it is called from within the registry but not with a shortcut, it is probably in a RUN or Start key value.

So, process is to do two basic functional things:

First, find the actual program. Use Search if XP or 2000, or Find if an earlier version. I would search for the value 'Incredimail' (minus the ' marks) and find the folder the Incredimail components are in. then I would find the data manager. IF the program runs when double-clicked, write down here it is and what name it has.

NEXT, second, you need to fix the shortcut or registry entry. Compare the shortcut run properties to the actual location and name (full program call path) of the program, and if different in shortcut, either the shortcut can be fixed manually, or you can make a new shortcut and delete the defective one. IF there is no shortcut that is wrong, then the problem has to be in a RUN or Runonce or Start key. Using your piece of paper you wrote down where the program is and its name for reference, start regedit or regedt32 and type in the name of the program as search value. In theory, you could also use 'Incredimail' as a search value, but you would then get every registry entry that Incredimail uses, most likely. Once you find the rright key or value, edit it to match what you wrote down. If first key or values of it do not seem right, tap the F3 key on keyboard to do a Find Next.

You said you were restoring Incredimail, but if you want it off the computer, another process applies. Ask questions about details you do not understand, please.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited December 2004
    Though i appreciate you help, we did not come here and ask to be insulted.
    Sally had a valid problem she could not find an answer to.

Thank you for making things clear.
    Ask questions about details you do not understand, please.

Don't bother replying to this post as we will not read it again.

Do with this thread as you please.

Good bye.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited December 2004
    dragonV8 wrote:
    Though i appreciate you help, we did not come here and ask to be insulted.
    Sally had a valid problem she could not find an answer to.

Thank you for making things clear.

Don't bother replying to this post as we will not read it again.

Do with this thread as you please.

Good bye.

Whoaaa

I've read through Straight Man's post 3 times now (that's twice more than usual) and can't find any deliberate insult. :scratch:

Seems to me, having been around a long time, that Staight Man is obviously a very clever chap in the PC world and always does his best to help. He sometimes has a little difficulty in a really clear and concise instruction and does tend to write reams and reams ...no offence Jon :D

Peace chaps :D:D:D

Crypto
    :smokin:
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Oh yeh, I just realised, I think he missed out a word. I think it should have said this
    Ask questions about any details you do not understand, please.

I have to admit I thought that line was a bit funny the first few times i read it.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited December 2004
    Straight Man's post is very detailed. He gives every bit of instruction on how he thinks the problem can be solved.

If it was taken as Straight Man talking down ot Sally then it was taken the wrong way. I find nothing in Straight Man's post that is insulting or remotely close to belittling Jonshandbrake or the problem.
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited December 2004
    I second that. I think Necropolis' correction clarifies it. Hopefully dragon/sally takes another peek at this thread (or someone communicates it to them).
  • edited January 2005
    Whoever has this error can try one of the folowing or both.I had a same error after I updated my antivirus software. I am stil not sure is it happeed because of antivirus or not...

Try: 1

Install Adaware software from its own website or download.com
    Make sure you have an updated version. Run the software and it will give you spyware or any problematic files/registry..
    Delete all those files. and restart PC for couple of times.
    In my case that error has gone.

Try:2

Install Antispyware beta1 from mirosoft.com and run. Delete all files after that and reboot system.

I instaled both of them and i done have any error now.

i hope it wil sove your problem
  • edited July 2009
    Well Dragon has gone back to work and the Handbrake is posting - things must be bad. :rolleyes:

With all the problems we had during the weekend this seemed to be the least of all our probs.

Could someone please help.

During the installation or should I really say 'backup' of some of my data. In particular a small restore program called "Incredimail Data Manager V1.12" I was in the middle of restoring my data back to the program when the computer was accidently booted off, and now when I try to finish the restore I keep getting this. :bawling:

ERROR

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Program' make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button, and then search." :scratch:

Then I cannot get out of this. I have to CTL+ALT+DEL and end task the program.

This error does not happen on any other program only Incredimail Data Manager. I figure this was because this was the only program working when power was lost.

I have completely deleted the program, then removed all signs the program was on computer. That is I completely deleted it via the registry. Reboot, then got a completely new version of the program and re-installed. This was to no avail as the problem still remained.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I do the only thing 'I' can think of now and that is to either system repair or re-install system. This does however seem a little drastic. Oh!!! by the way I did try a system restore in fact several, but I don't seem to have a point that works :wtf:

I would be very grateful for any help.

Sally "the Handbrake"

Oh man, i just figured out what's your problem, you just goto the config file and then replace all occurences of %programfiles% to C:\Program Files or D:\Program Files whichever folder where your program files is located

hope this helps you
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Answering a thread started in 2004 and concluded in 2005... priceless.
  • edited July 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Answering a thread started in 2004 and concluded in 2005... priceless.

I have added my point which I discovered when I got the same error as him and none of the solution that were previously posted in this thread worked for me. So I added my contribution to it, so that whoever having such error would search in google and come here and see the solution and get it fixed.

I don't feel anything wrong in my thought, did you really feel anything wrong about it? if so let me understand it, after all, a thread is for public benefit,

.....just to make things clear.....

I advice you, if you find such important observation you too should post in a thread appropriate. so that someone would benefit from it, if everyone thinks like this our major problems would be solved,

am I right?
    :)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    You are quite right, my friend. :) It wasn't quite clear that you had a similar problem that wasn't fixed by the other advice, so it sounded somewhat like you were just popping in with a fix that the original poster no longer needed.

Don't mind me, just being difficult as always. Thanks for your input! :)
  • edited August 2009
    firozmusthafa! You are AWESOME!

Your solution was exactly it! I had the same problem happen to me after I installed my new McAfee suite and my laptop shutdown due to low battery. I researched all these elaborate fixes and your simple revelation was all it was! Thanks soooo much for posting! Rest assured that you helped someone with it!:thumbup