Sil 3112a pci sata problem

edited May 2005 in Hardware
Hi. Im having problems i hope anyone can help.
Here's my prob, i have 2 sil 3112a pci sata cards one is a no name brand and the other is a sata2000. I have the same problem with both of them, i dont use them at the same time thou i bought the second one to confirm if it was the original cards fault. anyway the card recognizes both maxtor sata 160gb hdd's i dont use them in a raid i just have them as single standalone hdd's. when i copy files form one hdd to the other i sfv check the files to make sure they dont get corrupt, but no matter what i have tried the files always get corrupt when i copy from ide to any of the 2 sata drive the files go over fine, iv tried different bios's from 4.2.50 to older ones and both the ide bios and the raid bios i flash the cards from the driver options in device manager, iv tried drivers from 1.0.0.51 above and below, nothing seems to fix it. iv change bios options cut system speed down disabled all optimizations, removed everything in my system that wasn't needed to see if that helped it didn't. unplugged everything to rule out psu problems. its a 550 watt. it seems fine. here's my system spec's sorry i forgot to mension that i verified that both sata hdd's are fine by using the latest maxblast tools from maxtor, i did the test to check smart and did the sector/sector scan also did the burnin test, both drives pass fine. and my m/b is using the latest bios available and im using the latest drivers for all my hardware.

Chaintech 7NJS M/B
amd athlon xp 3200+
2x256mb OCZ dual channel pc 3200 ddr
Fx5950 ultra gfx card
Soundblaster 5.1 live digital sound card
2x 160gb maxtor sata drives
1x 300gb maxtor ide drive

Please help me out it would be greatly appreciated as i have exhausted all my idea's thx.

Comments

• edited May 2005
    Nevermind hey found the prob thx for all the replies there was so many :)

SiI3112A: nForce Data Corruption

Data corruption problems can occur with nForce-based motherboards such as the Asus A7N8X when multiple hard drives are attached to the SATA controller. This problem is related to an issue with the PCI controller in the nVidia chipset and can be fixed with a system BIOS update.

For the latest BIOS updates for your nForce motherboard that fixes the data corruption problem, please visit the website of your motherboard maker for the appropriate BIOS and flash utilities. Silicon Image cannot provide the solution to this issue since it involves a change to the system BIOS settings on the motherboard. There were no revisions made to the drivers for the SiI3112A so you may use the latest version posted on this website. Please check the Related Articles link on the lower right.

Direct Link http://12.24.47.40/display/2n/kb/article.asp?aid=10516

Hope this help's other people in my situation.
  • edited May 2005
    hi i have a sil 3112a pci sata card and i have 2x 160gb hdd's
    I use them as single drives no raid i want to know do i use the 4.2.50 ide bios or the 4.2.50 raid bios from silicon image's website.

Any help is appreciated thx.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Emu9x wrote:
    thx for all the replies there was so many
    This isn't an AOL chat, sorry. Sometimes it actually takes more than two hours to get a response. In addition, a sarcastic and caustic entrance into a new forum generally does not compel more help to find you. This is a friendly, tight community. Everyone quickly notices new members and their behavior. I'll bet that the grenade you threw in the Emergency forum has severely hindered your chances of a member taking their time to help you.
  • edited May 2005
    To be honsest i don't really care, and it was more like 24 hours not 2 hours, but you prove my point anyway commenting on another post and not even a hint of info. and when other people have posted about the same time as me and got a replay that just goe's to show you, like it would have been so hard to type ide bios or raid bios it's not hard i i bet a large % of members knew the answer but noone could be botherd. anyway i have most likely saved a few people a headache with the answer to why you get corruption using the sil3112a with the nforce chipset. I was nice enough to post that wasn't i. but this doesn't matter anymore as im changing to a promise sata card or wait to see if my m/b manufactorer releases a bios fix. and this will be my last post as won't ever need help again! so u can remove my account!.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    Emu9x wrote:
    ... it was more like 24 hours not 2 hours...
    Look at the timestamp on the posts. :cool:

I've got over 5,000 posts at this site. Some were answered immediately; others took a day or two. I think that by the time people found your first post it is likely that you had already posted your second one, where it seemed you had solved your problem.

If you're really determined to go, then fine. If you'd like to stick around, there are lots of knowledgeable people here who wouldn't mind helping you out. :wave:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    sure gonna miss him... :(
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited May 2005
    I wish he'd told me where to get a BIOS update that said I wouldn't ever need help again.