SM28_Shummy_Hewett - Signup Closed!

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited July 2005 in Folding@Home
:celebrate Announcing: SM28_Shummy_Hewett! :celebrate
:smokin:

Just over a week ago our friend and teammate Clutch lost his father, Charles "Shummy" Hewett, after a long battle with cancer. If there is any way you can help the family in this time of need, please go here and do what you can. Clutch, Team 93 and all of Short-Media shares in your loss.

As has been done on several occasions in the past, the team has decided to name the latest SMx rig in honor of the memory of one so close to one of our own. SM28 will carry the official - and very special - name SM28_Shummy_Hewett

If you meet the qualifications for hosting one of our team's SMx machines, why not sign up to be a candidate? You could be the one chosen to house this special Folding rig in your home. All of our SMx computers are important to us. This one, however, will join a select few which stand as a tribute to an individual, and also as a promise that we will continue to support the research which may someday make losing a loved one to this horrible disease a thing of the past.

The Hosting Requirements and Selection Process are available on the team page. Please look them over carefully before signing up.

If you feel you meet the requirements and are willing to sign the contract, throw your name in the hat by posting in this thread and giving us some details about your hosting conditions (connection, environment, etc.) and your computer ability that would mark you as a suitable host for this special SMx Folding machine.

Here's the lowdown on the hardware:
SM28_Shummy_Hewett Specs:

Motherboard: ECS K7S5A v1.0
CPU: Athlon XP 2000+
Hard Drive: TBD
Display Adapter: SiS 6326 AGP
Memory: 384MB DDR333
NIC: Onboard SiS 900 Fast Ethernet
Case: A Brand-New Case & PSU will be shipped directly to the new host

We would also like to thank Missileman for his generosity in donating the bulk of this machine and for initially suggesting that it Fold in "Shummy's" honor. This team may be small, but we have a lot of heart. :)

If you happened upon this thread by accident and wonder what it is exactly that Folding hopes to accomplish, check out Join Folding for a quick summary of the F@H Project. Like many of us here, you could put your spare computer cycles to work for the betterment of mankind. Won't you consider joining us? :wave:

Sign up soon. We will give you plenty of notice before the signup period is closed and the SMx Committee vote is taken.

As per our new policy, there are no geographical limitations on hosting eligibilty.

Check out The SMx Project - Reloaded! thread for more information on the project in general. If you have any parts you could spare for future SMx rigs, go here and have a look at what we need. HD's, and Memory (PC1600 or greater) are in extremely short supply. To keep this project going we need your help.

Good luck, everybody! :thumbsup::fold:

Comments

• Lord_NightLord_Night Piqua Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Im Tossign my hat in
    just in case I dont get the other one.....

it would be an honor to host the SM28_"Shummy" Hewett rig
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Lord_Night wrote:
    ...just in case I dont get the other one.....
    Dude - we've been waiting for you! :D
    ...it would be an honor to host the SM28_"Shummy" Hewett rig
    Indeed it would. :thumbsup:
  • Lord_NightLord_Night Piqua Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Takes my Hat back.........

KEWL....

I love surprises when I come back from a few days off.....

jots note down to pay more attention to fourm posts... (new ones)... ;D
  • DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited July 2005
    I'm in. :D
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited July 2005
    I'll put my name in the hat. It would be an honor to host this rig.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    One of the biggest reasons we F:fold:ld is to help solve the mysteries of cancer and such. Shummy died from cancer and the least we could do it F:fold:ld after him. Now everyone will see that we F:fold:ld for points, for the team, but we are really F:fold:lding for a cure.

This SMx Rig is more than just a piece of hardware, its a F:fold:lding memorial. A true honor to the future host. Jump in guys and gals...
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I'm in. It's an honor just to be considered.
    edited July 2005
    Lionsinabucketeatlionsinabucket!!! No!!!
    edited July 2005
    What are you on about? That doesn't even make any sense...
    edited July 2005
    CBDroege wrote:
    What are you on about? That doesn't even make any sense...
    ;D;D;D;D

Funny.... Real funny.... :D
  • DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited July 2005
    :D That's good... hehe
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2005
    I would like to thank the team for SM28, and Missileman for the suggestion. It would be such an honor to have SM28 in the name of my father, he is the #1 reason why I fold. I wish everyone the very best of luck. Fold on #93.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Sigh - I so want to host a rig, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do (or where I'll be - etc) after I graduate in February.

Good luck to those who enter.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    i'll put my name in also...

It would be a great honor to host a machine dedicated to a great man.
    edited July 2005
    A good slate of candidates so far:

:fold: DoctorGeo2008
    :fold: maximusbad
    :fold: CBDroege
    :fold: fatcat6

Just about 72 Hours Remaining to sign up. Who else is in? :D

edited July 2005
    (Just over)

24 Hours Remaining!

:thumbsup::fold:
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited July 2005
    Im in
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    This is probably the one time I've wished the rules didn't preclude me from hosting a rig.
    edited July 2005
    This is probably the one time I've wished the rules didn't preclude me from hosting a rig.
    I know just how you feel. :)
    edited July 2005
    me too..... :shakehead
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    :scratch: I thought that rule was changed a while back?
    edited July 2005
    Previous & current hosts can apply but not those on the committee... Some sort of "conflict of intrest" thing.... :shakehead
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Oh, I thought there was a rule against staff that was removed... I forgot you guys were on the selection committee. That one makes more sense. ;)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Oh, I thought there was a rule against staff that was removed... I forgot you guys were on the selection committee. That one makes more sense. ;)
    Yeah... general staff can, just not the committee.
    edited July 2005
    Alright team, here's who we'll be choosing from:

:fold: DoctorGeo2008
    :fold: maximusbad
    :fold: CBDroege
    :fold: fatcat6
    :fold: gtghm

Best of luck to each and every one of you. :)
    edited July 2005
    One thing i forgot to throw in was that i have a 12GB hard drive that could be used for this machine.
    edited July 2005
    This is sooooooooo cool. This is a great rig, guys. Sorry but you all lost. We decided to give it to....

ME.....

Yep, we broke the rules and I'm taking it...
    edited July 2005
    sorry.... I guess I got carried away.... we have yet to vote and they still won't change the rules to allow committee members to get this fine rigs... :shakehead

Oh well.... one of you outstanding members WILL have the honor... :thumbsup:
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited July 2005
    QCH2002 wrote:
    sorry.... I guess I got carried away.... we have yet to vote and they still won't change the rules to allow committee members to get this fine rigs... :shakehead

Oh well.... one of you outstanding members WILL have the honor... :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::D :bawling: :scratch::thumbsup:

I feel your passion dude.

:D

"g"
    edited July 2005
    as always, the suspence is killing me...