The New Host Of SM8 Is...

QCHQCH Ancient GuruChicago Area - USA Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Folding@Home
After the ballots were cast, the numbers checked and double-checked, the SMx Committee has reached its decision.... Icrontic_8 goes to...
FormFactor
FormFactor
FormFactor
FormFactor
??? ARE YOU READY ???
FormFactor
FormFactor
FormFactor
FormFactor
??? Is this the biggest news of the day ???
FormFactor
FormFactor
FormFactor
FormFactor
??? Can anyone guess who the new host is ???
FormFactor
FormFactor
FormFactor
FormFactor
Well.... look REALLY close and I've already told you....
FormFactor
FormFactor
FormFactor
FormFactor

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Congrats Formfactor! :fold:

Welcome to the inner circle. Your pamplet detailing the secret handshake and key to the executive washroom should arrive within 5-10 business days. After you pledge allegiance to Snuffie (and allow Snuffie to perform the "ritual" ... ask prof about that :D), IC_8's all yours :thumbsup:
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited August 2005
    Congrats formfactor! Welcome to the family. Don't worry about snuffie's ritual .. it only distorts his "form," not yours :D.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Congratulations, Sir. Welcome to the honor...and the responsibility. You can handle it. :cool:
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited August 2005
    Congrats mate, we know you'll take good care of her. :thumbsup:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited August 2005
    w00t.................congrats FormFactor. :thumbsup:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    A big w00t to FormFactor! Welcome to the family. SM4 says hello!
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2005
    Congrats man!
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited August 2005
    Congrats FormFactor :thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Congratulations, FormFactor! :D

:celebrate

:smokin:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Snuffie's rarin' to meet you :)

Congratulations! :D
  • profdlpprofdlp
    is going to settle that pooch's hash once and for all... :shakehead

(j/k) :D
    The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    is going to settle that pooch's hash once and for all... :shakehead

(j/k) :D
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited August 2005
    Congrats :)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    welcome to the team FormFactor, we're glad to have you aboard. Take good car of her mate. :thumbsup:
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited August 2005
    Welcome to the hosting family, glad to have you on. IC13 shares it's greetings.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    Congrats :).
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited August 2005
    AWESOME!!!!!1!!ONEONE3

Im really stoked to be a part of this program! I almost missed this thread, been very busy.

Thanks for all the congratulatory posts guys! Ill be a good host, and she'll feel right at home amongst the other machines in the house.

Thanks again guys.

What do I do next?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    contulatory posts
    Hmm, are we sure this is the right guy for the job? :confused:

;D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    You PM me and ProfDLP your mailing address so we can get the stuff out to you :)

You sign and send back the contract that General Keebler is going to send you, and then you wait anxiously for the parts to arrive :p
    edited August 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Hmm, are we sure this is the right guy for the job? :confused:

;D

Holy crap, that was a heck of a spelling error :eek: My bad.

I fixed it.

Sorry about that.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Congrats man :thumbsup:
    Welcome to the club.
    edited August 2005
    You PM me and ProfDLP your mailing address so we can get the stuff out to you :)
    Got his address just a moment ago; the wheels of progress are a-turning. :D

You sign and send back the contract that General Keebler is going to send you, and then you wait anxiously for the parts to arrive :p
    Absolutely.

It is forbidden for any new Host to be anything less than anxious when it comes to parts delivery. Uneasy is right out - truth be told, we prefer hysteria. ;D

Don't let Prime throw ya - it's not like they're going to end up in Bimfort, Egypt or anything. :cool:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
    edited August 2005
    What was that again? :scratch:

...See what you started, QCH? :p
    edited September 2005
    We got the contract back a week ago, but I was a little slow getting the parts out. They were shipped Priority Mail this afternoon - look for them midweek. :D
    edited September 2005
    All the parts came yesterday guys :thumbsup:

Along with them was the biggest hard drive I have ever seen! :eek:;D

I was going to put her together tonight, but something came up. Ill get her done this weekend though.

Thanks again!
    edited September 2005
    Quick update: Got all the hardware put together and finished up last night. I should be able to get her done tomorrow. I will not have time tonight as I have a prior obligation.

Sorry for the delay, but she is coming into shape.
    edited September 2005
    Sounds good, FormFactor. :)

As for the HD, I'd have to say that it runs quieter and cooler than most "normal size" drives I've seen. It should make a great conversation piece, anyway. :D

BTW: Thank Muddocktor for the donation. :thumbsup:

Team, we could use some reliable fully tested HD's. Anything a couple of GB or more would be fine. Don't make me start begging - it won't be pretty. :p
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    You did it in yellow instead of white, hehe :P
    edited September 2005
    Ya know, I have 3 10GB drives I pulled from xboxes but they are locked, if anyone can hack them back into functionality I will gladly donate them!

Thanks Mud for this beast! I was just suprised to see a drive that big, I didnt know they made 5 1/2" (or whatever it is) drives. Its pretty neat.

Good to have you back Prof!

A quick explanation on the delay. My basement has needed some work, and I needed my dads help to finish it, turns out my dad is here from France this week and he is real good at this type of work. So he could only help this week. I cant turn him down. I should be able to get it done tonight, hopefully you guys arent too pi$$ed.
    edited September 2005
    FormFactor wrote:
    Ya know, I have 3 10GB drives I pulled from xboxes but they are locked, if anyone can hack them back into functionality I will gladly donate them!
    Any volunteers? :)

...I didnt know they made 5 1/2" drives. Its pretty neat.
    There was a period in the late 1990s when manufacturers ran into a real roadblock concerning data density - it was getting harder and harder to pack more info onto the HD platters. One solution was to add more platters, but this caused problems with things like spindle motor failure (spinning those extra platters added a lot of wear and tear on them), and increased head crashes (more heads = more heads to potentially crash).

Another solution was to make the platters bigger. There was still a bit of added weight for the spindle motor to deal with (though not as much as adding gobs of extra platters), but the problem of having more heads to potentially crash was eliminated.

...I should be able to get it done tonight, hopefully you guys arent too pi$$ed.
    No problem, man. I was late getting the parts out to you, and if I'd have waited another day they would still be sitting here, seeing as how I ended up in the hospital the morning after I shipped them. :eek:

Real Life rears its head now and then. I think you should make the most of the visit with your dad, the rest will fall into place just fine. :)