ASUS "System Failed CPU Test"

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited June 2008 in Hardware
I've searched and found that a lot of people get this audible error when trying to boot for the first time. It let's them know that there is something wrong with the CPU, and wont let them finish booting up. The advice they seem to get is to RMA the CPU.

My issue is different.

I don't get the error on boot. I only get the error while playing any graphically intensive game.

This particular system has been functioning solidly ever since I reseated the heatsink on my Video Card to stop the lock-ups, that was a few months ago, and I haven't changed the composition of the system at all.

The error only started yesterday.

I started up Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (which rocks, BTW), loaded my save game, and seemed to be doing fine. Then, my character walked outside. This was not something that I hadn't done before, and in the past, the 'outdoor' locations in the game have seemed to slow my system, but they didn't do this to it before.

Suddenly, and very loudly, I hear "System Failed CPU Test!", then I hear it again, and again, and again. It repeats over and over, and at first, I freak out.

I think that my compouter must have overheated, and now it's locked up, and unable to shut-down... Then I noticed that the people on the street were still moving. I tried the mouse, and my character was free to move. In fact, nothing seemed to be wrong except that this voice was screaming over and over again about a failed test. I directed my character back into the weapon shop. The voice stopped. I went back outside. The voice began again. I task-switched back to the desktop, and looked at the temps and voltages for the MB and the CPU... all exactly where they should have been. There is nothing wrong, except for the loud error code.

Fisrt step, of course, I did a simple cold-boot. No luck, so I took out the CMOS battery to reset the CMOS, booted up, set the time, and other settings back to how they should be in the BIOS, then tried the game again. The error is still there, but there is still nothing actually wrong with the readings.

I checked the BIOS to see if I could just turn off the voice errors(I also covered the 'check engine light' in my car with electrical tape because it's on, but nothing is wrong with my car) ... no such luck.

This is such a strange thing... Nothing is wrong with the system except for a seemingly faulty error code that happens to be so annoying that I can't actually play games anymore.

Any ideas?

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    OK... THAT is weird.... Maybe your PC doesn't like your character going outside? :D

Hang tight, someone with REAL experience will be along shortly to figure this out. :thumbsup:
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I did, BTW, try other games, and it starts doing it any time a lot of 3D processing is going on. I don't know if it does it during any other type of processing, because I don't really do any other type of high-load processing.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Thats really odd.. my old A7N8X-E used to tell me my CPU overclock failed on every bootup, even though the system was fine. I'm surprised it still does that with speech reporter disabled though.

Since it happens when you go outside, your graphics card is likely putting a heavier load on your system's PSU. Perhaps this is power related? Have you checked your voltage rails? Its possible that it could be thermal, but I'm not so sure. Have you checked your temps? Asus PCProbe should give you that information if you don't already have it installed btw.

Could you provide your system specifications?
    edited March 2006
    I'm really bad at remembering what I put in my system (that's bad I know, but I build it, and throw away or lose the paperwork. I guess I should start keeping a log of it, or something.)

I'm pretty sure I have the same ASUS MoBo that you just mentioned (or one very similar), an AMD 2100 CPU, about a Gb of RAM (corsair), and a 9800 graphics card (the one I bought from PilotWings, that needed the heatsink reseated).

One of the first things I did was check on all of my temps and voltages, and everything was normal durring the time of the error.
    edited March 2006
    CBDroege wrote:
    One of the first things I did was check on all of my temps and voltages, and everything was normal durring the time of the error.

Did you have to exit the game to check your voltages? If yes, what I would do is the following:

Download MBM5 and install.. (you can find it in the SM downloads section), when prompted for the mainboard, select Asus A7N8X (shouldn't matter which revision you have). Let it run in the background for a while. Be sure to close Asus PCProbe if it's open.

Run the game, and get it to choke as hard as you can. Exit the game, and right click the MBM5 icon in the system tray, and go to configure. (I think its configure, but I dont have it infront of me).. check the 'High/Low' section. It will display what your +12/+5/+3.3V rails dipped to under heavy load.

Give that a shot and let us know..
    edited March 2006
    I didn't have to exit, but I did have to task-switch, which stopped the error message. I'll try your suggestion tonght.
    edited March 2006
    Here's a screen shot of the High/low tab from the performance monitor.

I ran the game, and played for several minutes, trying to do graphically intensive things (I made all the town guards chase me in their shiny armor), all the while listening to that loud and annoying error message...

The temps and voltages never strayed from acceptable levels.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Your 3.3V rail seems to be on the low side, if you ask me. It looks like it's relatively stable, but low. All three of the voltage rails seem a bit low. Your PSU may not be up to the task.
    edited March 2006
    I'd actually be concerned about both the 5.0V and 3.3V rails. The 3.3V rail is significantly below the ATX +/- 5% specification. I would definitely verify with a multimeter before tossing the PSU, but if that verifies what we see above, I'd look into geting a new one. Those rails could definitely cause what you were seeing.

Look into getting something like an Antec 430, Enermax or other brand name PSU. You wouldn't need anything too beefy for your system.
    edited March 2006
    Grrr... It was working just fine on Sunday...

I don't know. I don't think such small discrepancies can cause a problem...

I suppose this 440 is getting pretty old... I got it almost four years ago... Maybe it's time to replace it anyway, but I don't really think that the voltages are the issue. Even Mbm5 shows the little neddles as still in the green zone at these readings...

If I do replace it, does this look like a good deal?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817171007
    edited March 2006
    The price is right, and I think CoolerMaster is on the AMD recommended list, but I've never had one before so I can't personally attest to the quality.
    edited March 2006
    I guess I'll get it, then and see if it does the trick. I wont toss the old PSU quite yet though... I wish I had an extra PSU to diagnose with, but the only ones I have laying arround are 200w...
    edited March 2006
    I wouldn't pay attention to those 'green' zones in MBM5.. they are not accurate. A dip to 2.8V is not really a minor deviation, that is pretty major IMO :) Thats almost 18% fluctuation. 5% is the most the ATX specification allows.

I'm not too sure about that cooler master PSU, but if you don't mind spending a little more, I would take a look at getting one of the Antec 2.0 models. It would be a good investment as you can likely move it over to your next PC when you upgrade..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103936
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103937
    edited March 2006
    Those ones both look mighty fine, lemonlime!
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    What you listed is OK but I feel that e ones below are justified by the slightly higher cost. They are also going to be able to be incorporated into a newer system while keeping the cost down.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103013
    edited March 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll take a look at the specs and figure out which one is best for me and my very small computer budget. :)

I'll report back when the new one is installed.
  • edited April 2006
    I have experienced almost this exact same problem.
    Started playing oblivion and then get the message being repeated at me. It has got worse and worse and now occurs all the time. Even when not playing hardware exhausting games.

Did the PSU swap fix your problem?

I followed the same advice with regard of MBM5 but am not getting the same low voltages that you reported. Although the +12v rail is running between 11.67 and 11.86 with an average of 11.69. Is this too low?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    For those of you that don't remember your system specs--- (like me) Hehehe.
    This will give you just about any specs you need on your system.
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    edited April 2006
    Yes, sorry for forgetting to report back.

The new PSU has solved the problem. I bought the $33 CoolerMaster. My levels are now all just right.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Been following this thread with interest.
    Glad to see the new psu fixed it.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    Hawk wrote:
    For those of you that don't remember your system specs--- (like me) Hehehe.
    This will give you just about any specs you need on your system.
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    Bump for emphasis. This is a great program - everyone should use it. :rockon:
  • edited April 2006
    I popped down to Maplins today and bought myself a new PSU.

It sorted the problem out too.

Happy bunnies all round.
    edited April 2006
    Good stuff, glad you got it sorted out! Welcome to Short-Media, Aluco! :cheers:
  • edited March 2008
    We have an ASUS motherboard and an AMD CPU. About two months ago we started having the same exact problem as CB Droege was experiencing ('System Failed CPU test' coming up constantly during 'Warcraft'). We also had an additional problem in that 'System Failed CPU test' also came up intermittently during the playing of DVDs. Voltages were close to normal, but they were checked when we were out of the game or not playing a DVD. Luckily, we read your post today and as a result decided to replace the power supply (we had an extra from a friend). Thankfully, the problem is now corrected - we can now play Warcraft with the volume up. Thank you all for the post thread.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Glad this thread helped someone else out.
    Welcome to Icrontic zephyr.
    Hope you enjoy the site.
  • edited June 2008
    Good to see the problem isn't anything too severe!

I've been having this problem playing The Sims 2. Everytime I go into a house and start playing, the message goes haywire and eventually causes my screen to break up and eventually go black if ignored. If the problem is just swapping a new power supply that's definately a relief, I expected something alot worse!