A8R32-MVP DELUXE Overclocking Nightmare

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Hi all again

Got this board cause the DFI RDX 200 seemed to scittish for me. Thought this one would be more like the GAK8N Pro I had B4 changed my GPHX. The 4400 X2 has ran stable in both previous boards @ 245 x 11 had to play with the HT Multi & the memory Dividers but got great results Prime 95 12 hours no probs. Its running at stock setting OK & Prime 95 12 hours no prob but the cpu tests on 3dmark 06 has got coloured speckles on the screen(only the CPU Tests). And it will not OC above stock 200 . This is only since swapping to this board.

I would like to get a nice balanced OC memory etc but very little experience your help would be appreciated.

Calous 3

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Which bios are you using?
  • edited March 2006
    edited March 2006
    The symptoms are too weird. It almost sounds like the cpu is overheating ...what temps are you getting?
  • edited March 2006
    idle 32-34 . prime 95 torture test 36. on the RDX200 the fan didn't have to spin the passive cooling of HS was Enough now it constantly @ 3350rpm. I'm using AS 5 paste have taken off and reseated no diff ?????
    edited March 2006
    Do you have coolnquiet turned on?
  • edited March 2006
    no
    edited March 2006
    I swear these boards are so riddled with issues ...have you seen the thread at driverheaven?
  • edited March 2006
    The one that makes you wish you still had a duron on ga7kva board and that crossfire was just a game you played with ur m8s when you were 9 if so yes.
    edited March 2006
  • edited March 2006
    Thanks.

Have you heard much about this bios 0037 for this board.
    edited March 2006
    calous3 wrote:
    Thanks.

Have you heard much about this bios 0037 for this board.
    Nope ...but I would definitely stay current with that boards bios just as I am with mine. They have so many issues to overcome and rarely release a new bios unless it's really supposed to fix something. Hopefully they get it all straight soon.
    edited March 2006
    What do your bios settings look like ...these are mine:

memclock mode [limit]
    memclock value B]200 mhz[/B
    mct timing mode [manual]
    cas latency (cl) B]3.0[/B
    tras B]8 clk[/B
    trp B]2 clk[/B
    trcd B]3clk[/B
    trrd B]2 clk[/B
    trc B]10 clk[/B
    trfc B]16 clk[/B
    trwt B]3 clk[/B
    user config mode [manual]
    read preamble B]5.5 ns[/B (auto)
    async latency B]8.0 ns[/B (auto)
    cmd-addr timing mode B]1t[/B (auto)
    bank interleaving [auto]
    burst length B]4 beats[/B
    hardware memory hole [disabled]

ai overclocking [manual]
    cpu frequency B]241[/B
    pcie frequency [100]
    fid/vid change [manual]
    processor frequency multiplier B]x11[/B
    processor voltage B]1.400v[/B
    ddr voltage B]auto[/B
    pci-express voltage [+1.20v]
    vcore over voltage B]enable[/B
    southbridge over-voltage B]enable[/B
    peg link mode B]disabled[/B
    peg buffer length B]longest[/B

gart error reporting [disabled]
    mtrr mapping [continuous]
    cool n'quiet [disabled]
    ht link speed B]1000 mhz[/B

ecc enable b]disable[/b

dual-slot configuration b]single video card[/b
    rd480 ht pll control b]normal[/b
  • edited March 2006
    I will post my settings a bit l8r. got to go to work.

But it just gets stranger I found when I go above 200 fsb it would'nt boot, it would just hang but if then pressed the reset button it would reboot fine. I would then warm reboot fine it would only need the reset button pressing from a cold boot or from the bios. Got it running stable in windows with 9200 3dmark06 @245x11. I know this isn't acceptable I just found it strange.

Whats ur thoughts.
  • edited March 2006
    After reading ASUS shabby response on driverhaven do you think they will even address the issues people are having anytime soon.
  • edited March 2006
    Here are the bios settings. Those with a star next to them I changed to match yours. Would reboot out of the bios but still no cold reboot etc.

memclock mode [limit]
    memclock value [166 mhz]
    mct timing mode [manual]
    cas latency (cl) [2.0]
    tras [6 clk]
    trp [3 clk]
    trcd [3clk]
    trrd [2 clk]*
    trc [10 clk]*
    trfc [16 clk]*
    trwt [3 clk]*
    user config mode [manual]
    read preamble [5.5 ns]* (auto)
    async latency [8.0 ns]* (auto)
    cmd-addr timing mode [1t] (auto)
    bank interleaving [auto]
    burst length [4 beats]
    hardware memory hole [disabled]

ai overclocking [manual]
    cpu frequency [245]
    pcie frequency [100]
    fid/vid change [manual]
    processor frequency multiplier [x11]
    processor voltage [1.400v]
    ddr voltage [2.6]
    pci-express voltage [+1.20v]
    vcore over voltage [+.2]
    southbridge over-voltage [enable]
    peg link mode [disabled]
    peg buffer length [longest] *

gart error reporting [disabled]
    mtrr mapping [continuous]
    cool n'quiet [disabled]
    ht link speed [800 mhz]

ecc enable [disable]

dual-slot configuration [dual video card]
    rd480 ht pll control [normal]

Any help greatly appreciated:)

Calous3
    edited March 2006
    I would suspect perhaps your ram timings are at their end. Maybe even your cpu has reached it's highest frequency for that voltage. I would try 2.5-3-3-7 to see if it comes stable.

What cooling are you using and what are your temps (cpu & sys)?
  • edited April 2006
    Hi csimon

I changed ht pll control to its highest and now it reboots evry time. altered the mem timings as you suggested,decreased the divder to 9/10, fsb 260 x 11. 3dmark06 9542:D Need to look at the other mem timings now as most of them i coppied of your settings, any ideas would be appreciated .:respect:

CPU 38 - 40 idle(ASUS PC Probe)
    MB 32
    Gigabyte G POWER Pro Cooler

Calous3
    edited April 2006
    calous3 wrote:
    Hi csimon

I changed ht pll control to its highest and now it reboots evry time. altered the mem timings as you suggested,decreased the divder to 9/10, fsb 260 x 11. 3dmark06 9542:D Need to look at the other mem timings now as most of them i coppied of your settings, any ideas would be appreciated .:respect:

CPU 38 - 40 idle(ASUS PC Probe)
    MB 32
    Gigabyte G POWER Pro Cooler

Calous3

Wow that's a really nice overclock there. You may want to ask the corsair forums for timings as well as here. They may be able to fine tune it whereas I'm just guessing the hitnmiss way. That is a buttkicking 3dmark as well!:thumbsup:
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited April 2006
    I followed this one pretty closely because of my interest in the board. Judging by

posts #318-322-

it looks like calous3's nightmare is over. Great reference thread. Nice job csimon :thumbsup: !
  • edited April 2006
    Just to let you know. Bombed out after 2 hrs prime95 have droppes back to 250x11 still really happy with that:celebrate 3dmark06 9420:bigggrin: . But another prob I keep getting is if i change anything in the Bios when i get back into window I have to turn crossfire off and then turn it back on again otherwise only single card results????

I can live with it as I know how to deal with it but very strange, what do you think.

calous3
  • edited April 2006
    calous3 wrote:
    Just to let you know. Bombed out after 2 hrs prime95 have droppes back to 250x11 still really happy with that:celebrate 3dmark06 9420:bigggrin: . But another prob I keep getting is if i change anything in the Bios when i get back into window I have to turn crossfire off and then turn it back on again otherwise only single card results????

I can live with it as I know how to deal with it but very strange, what do you think.

calous3

Hi calous3 & csimon,
    I have too purchased a new A8R32-MVP Deluxe along with a X2 4200+. I am very very new to overclocking and stuff.

I would really like you 'calous3' to post for us a complete dump of your entire overclocking related BIOS settings so that we all can benefit from them.

I am also looking forward for recommended memory modules (1GB should be more than enough for me.... for now at least ). Should I go for the OCZ EL PC3200 Platinum 512x2 ??? anyone tested that with the A8R32-MVP ?.

any help would be almost life saving.....

Thanks again for all your time....
  • edited May 2006
    This board is driving me insane. If I can ever work out the bugs, I am sure it will be an enjoyable experience, but I am having some issues. I think it is being picky with my choice of Ram.

Anyway, I had it at 2.5ghz 3+ hours prime95 stable...not the best, but recently I am getting problems performing a cold boot. I get 1 long, followed by 3 short beeps, signifying a base/extended memory error. However, memtest runs for 7+ hours with no errors, so I don't think the memory is the problem, physically. Perhaps my timings and settings need to be adjusted. Thus far it has been in 1:1 ratio with the FSB. Tonight I think I am going to use a divider and see if that helps. I have no problems restarting the computer once it is running, or turning it back on after short periods of down time (< 10 minutes). BUt if it sits for a while powered off and I go to turn it back on, it takes a reset or two to get it to successfully boot. This leads me to believe it could be my PSU, or MB itself, but I am unsure. Rails on my Seasonic S12 were ROCK solid on +5V and +12V when tested with a digital multimeter (I didn't measure +3.3V becuase it doesn't have an aux connector), so it could be the PSU, but I doubt it, and also hope it isnt. That or the motherboard just doesn't like the RAM, but others have it as well and have no probs.

Oh well, tonight I will try to set the memory to a divider and mess with the timings a bit. Any advice on that? Stats are in the sig.