phpMyAdmin setup, "Cannot load mysql extension"

MikeybobMikeybob Middle o' Farmer Land
edited April 2006 in Internet & Media
Hey guys,

Sorry if this thread has already been made. I couldn't find anything in the search jobby.

Anyway. I'm trying to set up a PHP virtual server on my machine using IIS. I've downloading and installed the PHP binaries and they load PHP files fine. I then wanted to set up a database for the website, but as having problems setting it up. I installed MySQL, which runs fine, along with MySQL Admin. When trying to run phpMyAdmin, however, it keeps giving me this error message:

phpMyAdmin - Error

Cannot load mysql extension. Please check your PHP configuration. - Documentation

I've checked the documentation which tells me,

"To connect to a MySQL server, PHP needs a set of MySQL functions called "MySQL extension". This extension may be part of the PHP distribution (compiled-in), otherwise it needs to be loaded dynamically. Its name is probably mysql.so or php_mysql.dll. phpMyAdmin tried to load the extension but failed.

Usually, the problem is solved by installing a software package called "PHP-MySQL" or something similar."

So I check the PHP.ini file and pointed it to the extensions folder using the line:

; Directory in which the loadable extensions (modules) reside.
extension_dir = "./extensions/"
. The same tutorial told me to remove the semi colon from the line:

;extension=php_mbstring.dll

But that doesn't do anything either. I also installed PHP-MySQL like the documentation asked, but still nothing.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks for you time all :)

Comments

• MikeybobMikeybob Middle o' Farmer Land
    edited April 2006
    OK, after a bit of searching I've solved it. For anyone else who is stuck with this problem, please read nobody0633's post in this thead.

Sorry for another false alarm guys :)