A8N-E BIOS settings not saving in XP

edited May 2006 in Hardware
System Setup:
Motherboard: Asus A8N-E BIOS v. 1013(latest one)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Memory: OCZ Platinum 2x 1gig DDR400 dual channel

Problem:
Whenever I change any settings in the JumperFree menu related to my Reference Clock Speed, it will detect the changes during the POST, but once I boot up to windows XP and use cpu-z it will not detect any of the changes and show me all my stock reference clock and CPU clock.

It seems to save all of my memory related changes in Windows XP, including the memory divider and timings.

The CPU Multiplier also saves.

I am not sure how to check if the HTT multiplier is being saved...

I can however change the Reference Clock Speed with ClockGen and they will register with CPU-Z and ClockGen.

I did a google search on this and I did come up with two forum posts describing the same problem with the A8N-E, but with the 1010 bios not my 1013. But neither of the threads contained any solution the issue.

This is a major problem in my quest to get my 3700+ to 3.0-3.2 gigs :banghead: . Gonna call Asus on monday, but Im not too sure they will be any help.

Comments

• edited May 2006
    I just got off the phone with Asus tech support and they dont support any type of overclocking, and cant give me any help on my issue. Already went through 10+ pages on google and no answer.

would anyone know if this might be a windows XP issue or if its the motherboard?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I think you are experiencing a faulty BIOS chip. I am having almost exactly the same problem with one of my Asus boards, albeit a Socket 775 Intel board. It usually requires five to six restarts before BIOS changes - increased FSB settings, will set. Memory settings set as soon as I save changes - F10.

Try it: restart several times after making the BIOS settings changes. Mix in a couple complete shutdowns with the restarts, to include turning of the power supply. It's a pain, but at least with my computer, I KNOW it is a bad BIOS chip.
  • edited May 2006
    sorry i forgot to reply to this post, but I found a thread with some possible fixes
    http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t14072.html

turning on the floppy drive worked for me, even though I dont have a floppy drive....

got my cpu to 2800mhz so far on stock vcore, havnt had time to do any ram overclocking, so im running it at 205mhz with a 5/6 divider
    edited May 2006
    Hey, I'll have to give that a try. I do have anything and everything "floppy" in the BIOS turned off. Let us know if it works with your system. Nice overclock, BTW.

Thanks for stopping in at Short-Media. Hope you stay.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2006
    Glad you got it sorted out Daemon32.. Awesome OC and Welcome to Short-Media! :cheers:
  • edited May 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    Glad you got it sorted out Daemon32.. Awesome OC and Welcome to Short-Media! :cheers:

thanks a lot.
    when I get more time, ill try to get some more out of my system and post in your OC thread
    edited May 2006
    Thank you for your suggestion of enabling the floppy drive. It works! Now the BIOS saves CPU FSB setting every time I change them, without having to reboot the computer several times. Weird! Why should the floppy drive need to be enabled in the BIOS when there is no floppy drive? Oh well, it doesn't hurt anything, and I have a fully functional BIOS again.

Again, thanks a lot! :rockon:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Is there any way to overclock just the processor on this motherboard? It allows me to change the multiplyer, problem is it's already set to the highest option and now that I have 2GB of RAM it's clocked the FSB down to 333 from 400 too, not impressed.
    edited May 2006
    Ah, doesn't matter anyway, ****ty processor can't even deal with 2200 (from 2000, failed Prime95 after a few minutes). Never had a processor that overclocked even a little well. So much for the AMD overclocking craze that everyone seems to be in.
  • edited May 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Is there any way to overclock just the processor on this motherboard? It allows me to change the multiplyer, problem is it's already set to the highest option and now that I have 2GB of RAM it's clocked the FSB down to 333 from 400 too, not impressed.

I'm not quite sure what your doing, but it doesnt sound right. If your just trying to overclock the cpu, put a memory divider on, either 333 or 266 depending on how much you overclock your cpu frequency in the bios. you should leave your multiplier at the highest setting if your just working on overclocking your cpu. The only time you really need to mess with the multiplier is when your trying to get a certain memory clock and cpu clock to work together.

Post your system setup and which settings you where trying to change, im pretty sure we can squeze that 200mhz out of your cpu with the correct settings problem free.
    edited May 2006
    Machine is an Athlon64 3800+ X2 on an Asus A8N-E motherboard, 1.5GB of Corsair Value and 512MB of TwinMoss BH-5 (all rated for CAS 2.5 @ 400Mhz). Everything was stock except for the RAM is running at 333 anyway now due to this board not letting you run 2GB at 400Mhz (and obviously the processor which I was upping the FSB to 220, or CPU clock as it calls it for some odd reason).
  • edited May 2006
    hmmm I'm pretty sure your ram is giving you problems since your running different types of ram, im not 100% sure on how to go about this. but make sure your using 2T command.

Im assuming you have 3 sticks of 512 corsair.
    My best advice is to take out the TwinMoss and just run two sticks of Corsair to test it out, everything should run fine with a 333 divider. If it does run, then you can try one Corsair and one TwinMoss, but your probably going to have to tweak the memory timings untill it works fine, then you can try running all your sticks of ram.

The reason you cant run your ram at DDR400 and you have to put it to a 333 divider is when you overclock your cpu frequency your also overclocking the ram, your corsair is very low quality and wont be able to take much overclocking. On top of that your using different types of ram which isnt recommedned when overclocking.
    edited May 2006
    I know the basics of overclocking and the processor couldn't take the 200mhz extra when I was only running the 512 of TwinMoss.
  • edited May 2006
    Ill let someone else take over then, dont know what else to tell you except to double check all the settings are correct, most processors should be able to take a 10% overclock no problem. Sorry I couldnt help out.