7900GT Artifact Fix

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited June 2006 in Hardware
With 7900GT issues rising our very own Jimborae stummbled upon Hexus.net and found a fix that I thought would be proper to have here. This fix only works for Some XFX cards. We ask that you please contatc XFX before trying this fix.

Short-Media LLC, as well its owners, staff, members, and authors, take no responsibility for the use of the information contained in this fix. Modify and configure systems using this fix at your own risk. We imply no guarantee or warranty by publishing this fix.

7900GT XFX Articfact Fix

Increase the memory speed by 5 MHz using Coolbits, or use the optimal setting. I reset the core to 520 and memory to 1500, then bumped the memory speed up by 5 MHz (i.e. 1510). I was skeptical to say the least.

Crazy thing is, it appears to have worked!

They did ask for the serial number of my card before they suggested this, so it might not be a fix for all artifacting cards, however after an hour of testing it does look good on mine.

Can't think why this would work, unless it is a memory timing issue, and increasing the clock automatically increases the timings / latency of the memory.
From what I have seen and heard across the board this fixes 80% of the problimatic cards. Some still need to be RMA'ed

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    That's one hell of a fix, FIX YOUR CARD BY OVERCLOCKING IT! lol!
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited June 2006
    Hey Sledge give me some luv for finding this you cheeky monkey:bigggrin:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Luv given :)
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited June 2006
    Luv given :)

I wuv you :)

Wierd thing is I just put the clocks back to standard to try & post some screenshots & it isn't artifacting now at the standard clocks like it was before.

Hmm the plot thickens