Almost 50% Overclock, Pentium D 915, On Air!

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited May 2007 in Hardware
Swapped out the D 820 furnace in System 1 today for a new Pentium D 915 (65nm, 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2 X 2MB Cache)

:hair: 46% overclock: Mulitplier 14 X 293MHz FSB = 4102MHz. That's 1300MHz above the stock frequency. I had heard these CPUs were very good, the last steppings in the D series dual core from Intel. Oh yes, running about 4*C cooler and .5v lower vCore clock for clock than the D 820 that came out of this machine.

OK, here are settings and readings:

Multiplier: 14 (locked)
FSB: 293MHz
Bus: 1172MHz
vCore Set/Indicated: 1.362v/1.31v (default set is 1.3)
Northbridge: .2v over default
Southbridge: .1v over default
FSB Termination: .1v over default

DRAM: DDR2 667@732

The machine is running stable so far under full load of two instances of Folding@Home and light multitasking. I believe there is headroom still available.

CPU Z identifies the CPU as a Pentium D 920. The D915 actually is the same core (x2) but with virtualization technology absent.

I had it full load earlier today at 4.2GHz, 1.375v vCore (set), but it crashed during multitasking)

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I want to see a conroe system do 3Ghz, it would be flying like a bat out of hell!, I bet that is screaming pretty hard, how is it?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2006
    I guess that answers my old question, Is the 915 really an upgrade.

Nice one Leo!
  • edited April 2007
    I have just got this cpu and i have watercooling, the thermal take set big water set along with a conroe asrock board that with some inbuilt overclocking thing, not got it running yet am waiting for my ram. Ill let you know how it runs when i overclock it in a few weeks wen i back at home, going holiday in a few days.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Oh yes, please report back. I'd love to see how that CPU performs under water cooling. What motherboard and PSU will you be using?
  • edited April 2007
    i have this board ASRock ConRoe945G-DVI, i wont be using the built in vga, have a geforce 7300 at the mo, the psu i will be using is a 600w branded one, i cant remeber the make but will go and look at some point, if need be i will uprate this and probably get a thermaltake one as i like that make lol. I have the thermal Take armour case aswell, all the cables in my system are all hidden and i am changing the pipes in my system to 1/2inch for a nice lot of cooling hehe. Prob looking a couple weeks b4 i can post results as i am off to sunny spain but ill let u know. I have listed the specs of the full system below:

CPU: D915
    VGA: Geforce 7300 with turbo cache
    Ram: DDR2 667 4gb
    Hdd: 1x40gb IDE 1x250gb SATA
    PSU: 600w branded (cant rem make ill check some time)
    Case: TT Armour
    Cooling: TT bigwater with 1/2inch tubes and uprated pump, also with level indicator and flow indicator aswell as a T join Temp indicator.
    DVD ROM: SATA controlled
    DVD/RW: SATA

umm dont think i missed anything.
    ill let u know how it goes in about 2 weeks.
  • edited May 2007
    I'm scared to oc my 1 day old 6000x2 :|
    edited May 2007
    As long as you are certain the cooling device for the CPU is mounted properly, there's very little chance you would damage the processor if you are monitoring temperatures. In my experience, it's the northbridge and the MOSFETs surrounding CPU socket that you need to be concerned about - especially the latter. I've toasted two motherboards through overclocking, both of them due to burned out MOSFETs. Suffice it to say, I no longer purchase any motherboard touted as an "overclocking" board unless it has the factory chip cooling hardware to backup the claim.

I should also state that I've never overclocked a Conroe system. I don't know what if any voltage boosts circulate through the northbridge and MOSFETs. From what I've been reading, Conroe CPUs require far less voltage boost for overclocking than earlier series Intel dual core CPUs.
    edited May 2007
    I just looked up your Asrock motherboard. It has no cooling sinks on the MOSFETS. Watch your voltage when you start overclocking.
  • edited May 2007
    Change of plan im getting another mobo as they havent got that one, i decided to put a bit more money into the board and get the Asus P5LD2 Deluxe. I should have it by wednesday, i wont have all my ram by then i doubt but ill have a working machine. Also a mate gave me a Nvidia 7600 gt so thats the gpu ill be using. I also have a Zlaman heatsink for the north bridge, Item no:330096289277 on ebay uk. Ill let you know how it goes.
    edited May 2007
    Good choice for motherboard! That's a very stable motherboard, overclocks nicely, and has very good driver support. I've run one of those, which was the first version, not compatible with Conroe. Your version is compatible. You've got an upgrade path. BTW, you won't need an aftermarket northbridge heatsink if you don't do heavy overclocking. Actually, you wouldn't need a new NB heatsink even with hardcore overclocking if you simply mount a fan on the northbridge. If you look at my signature, you'll see 1 - 1.2GHz overclocks on my P5WD2 boards, which are almost the same boards as the P5LD2. Same northbridge sink. I have the original NB sinks installed and have only added small fans, pulled from an el cheapo CompUSA hard drive cooler. The FSB speeds on my boards are all above 1100.

You will definitely have fun with your 915/P5LD2 combo. That CPU was born to be overclocked. When you start working up the overclock, watch the vCore voltages. What you set in the BIOS and what you get from the PSU may very well be two different things. The P5LD2 and P5WD2 both suffer from "vDroop", that is the falling of CPU core voltages under high load/overclocking. You can compensate for it, just realize vCore will drop from what you set in the BIOS.
  • edited May 2007
    Im gonna try and go on these settings based on the ones posted at top, i will addapt um if ness. And try go a little higher if its stable.

Multiplier: 14 (locked)
    FSB: 300MHz
    Bus: 1172MHz
    vCore Set/Indicated: 1.375v/(default set is 1.3)
    Northbridge: .2v over default
    Southbridge: .1v over default
    FSB Termination: .1v over default

4.2GHz, 1.375v vCore
    edited May 2007
    Don't start that high, rather work your way up. You need to monitoring voltages and temperatures. Also, you don't know if your RAM is capable of 1200. Work up a FSB overclock first and leave your RAM close to stock speed. After you've worked up what appears to be the CPU max overclock (FSB OC), then take it back down to stock and start moving it up gradually, but this time with RAM. If you try to OC the FSB and RAM at the same time, when you hit a wall, you won't know if it's the CPU, PSU, or RAM.
  • edited May 2007
    Hello, got my system al wrkin now, had to do a bit of modding on the bracket for my cpu block as it was mounting it off centre from the cpu and it would overheat in seconds before overclocking, anyway ill get a new one at some point. Ive got it running at 3.6ghz atm, havent tried pushing it just yet, just using a overclock profile from the board, it runs at about 54 degress under load, not sure about idle didnt check. Next step is to start pushin it up and see how far i can get. Running v.fast, got vista on it, and WOW works v.gd with all settings maxed in my top res so im happy about that, but a extra little kick wouldnt hurt:P.

edit: Vista Ultimate installed in less than a hour:D
    edited May 2007
    bit of modding on the bracket for my cpu block as it was mounting it off centre from the cpu and it would overheat in seconds before overclocking, anyway ill get a new one at some point.
    That "new one" might be in order; or you should consider a high end air heatsink. If you are already at 54*C, you don't have much headroom left. 54 is the average of what my 915 and 930s are doing at full load, 4GHz.