replacing sys file in vista! - Nightmare!

osaddictosaddict London, UK
edited April 2007 in Science & Tech
Hey all,

I've followed these instructions:
1) Obtain the usbaudio.sys file from a Windows XP machine (in c:\windows\system32\drivers)
2) On the Vista machine, click Start, type cmd in the search box and press Ctrl, Shift & Enter so you get a "root" command shell window
3) Type cd \windows\system32\drivers and press Enter
4) Type takeown /f USBAUDIO.sys and press Enter
5) Type cacls USBAUDIO.sys /G "Your Username":f, press Enter, and Y when asked. (Note the quotes around username)
6) Type del USBAUDIO.sys, press enter
7) Copy the XP version of USBAUDIO.sys to c:\windows\system32\drivers
8) Type cd c:\windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_9ce240de, press Enter
9) Type takeown /f USBAUDIO.sys, press Enter
10) Type cacls USBAUDIO.sys /G "Your Username":f, press Enter, and Y when asked. (Note the quotes around username)
11) Type del USBAUDIO.sys, press Enter
12) Copy the XP version of USBAUDIO.sys to c:\windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_9ce240de
13) Connect the USB audio device that was failing - it should now work

And yes, eventually my voip phone worked, however, on reboot the file from XP that I had put over the vista one (58k) was replaced by the original vista one (70k)

How the heck do I stop vista from replacing it on reboot?!

Comments

• edited April 2007
    I've got a goofy idea to ghetto-rig it. No idea if it'll actually work, and no Vista to test it on, so you may be taking a bit of a chance.

Perhaps you could create a batch file to copy the drivers and do everything you need, then put the batch file in the startup folder so it'll run when Windows starts? You'll probably still have to do step 13 every time, though.
  • osaddictosaddict London, UK
    edited April 2007
    That may indeed be a workaround Tansunn, however I know it is possible to do conventionally, its just difficult / irritating!
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited April 2007
    os I'm just taking a shot here, but could you go to the security tab for that new usbaudio.sys file, go to Advanced and play with the rights for user SYSTEM? Maybe deny Full Control, deny Delete rights? Obviously it would still need Read/Execute rights.
  • osaddictosaddict London, UK
    edited April 2007
    Pretty sure its just due to windows file protection that it keeps replacing it - it seems well tricky to get round it, fiddling around and still using the vista usbaudio.sys it's somehow started working! - hopefully it wont bugger up again!