Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) and SMP

SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
edited October 2007 in Folding@Home
I upgraded to Gutsy last night, and today I noticed my SMP units are taking much longer to complete (timered checkpoints every 15 minutes, used to be 35 minute frames, now I'm seeing at least 3 checkpoints). Anybody have any idea what could be causing the slowdown? System monitor shows all the spawned processes taking their share of the processor correctly, so I dunno what it could be.

May have figured it out. My previous frames were under 2605 units, these numbers are coming off a 2653. Is there any way to specify what units you get, because at this rate, I don't think these will finish under deadline.

Comments

• SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited October 2007
    No way to specify what WUs you get this is to prevent cherry picking by points Hoe's, as for the slow down no idea on windows the 2653 wu's are fliers depending on the system e6400 does them at 20 mins a frame q6600 12.5 mins a frame.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited October 2007
    Are you running Ubuntu on a Virtual Machine by any chance?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    No, this just Gutsy on a Turion X2, same as it was before. Took 35/frame on 2605s, looks like it's taking 75/frame on this 2653. It'll just make the final-final deadline, it looks like. Hope it gives me a 2605 again soon so I can really verify that's all that's going on.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2007
    MJancaitis wrote:
    ... looks like it's taking 75/frame on this 2653. It'll just make the final-final deadline, it looks like.

Actually, no it won't. The final deadline for a 2653 is 4 days and if I got it right,

4 days X 24 hours/day X 60 minutes/hour / 100 frames per WU = 57.6 minutes/frame. You would need to do this or better to make it.

Chances are that there is something in the CPU design slowing this WU's progress (maybe not enough cache).

Personally, if my CPU could not make the preferred deadline of any SMP WU, I'd run two version 5.04 or 6.0 clients on my dual core instead.
    edited October 2007
    I would have if this had ever happened before. FahMon estimates it'll make it, which is what I was referencing when I said it looked like it would finish in time. I'll give it a little more time and see where it's at, and either dump the WU or let it finish.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited October 2007
    On my linux setups, both P2605 and P2653 run about the same MPF, both on Intel and AMD boxes... its weird you have such a huge difference.
    edited October 2007
    Maybe it is actually a Gutsy thing. Hopefully it gets a 2605 next time so I can check that.
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited October 2007
    Mine appears to be working OK under Gutsy, although I haven't really tried it under anything else. System Monitor doesn't report correctly on all 4 cores mind you, although I think it's a bug with the widget ?
    edited October 2007
    The widget, in my experience, doesn't report F@H because it's niced to 19. System monitor, in the administration panel, reports it correctly (but the monitor itself takes a lot of CPU power, which I think is ridiculous).
    edited October 2007
    To follow up:

I ended it last night and it got a 2605, which still gave me the same hour-long frames. So I started looking at what Gutsy might have done; I clean installed it as well, since I had just upgraded before. Still no luck. Gutsy did some crazy CPU scaling on me (put me down to 800MHz), after installing cpufreq and cpufrequtils and some other jazz, got it back up to 1.8GHz and my folding's back on track. Have another 2605 and running my usual 33/frame.