Icrontic Dedicated TF2 Server discussion

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited November 2007 in Gaming
The need is definitely there for our own "clan" server. I've heard a couple of comments from other server admins, which are justifiable, to the effect of "hey jerks.... when 12 of you roll up into the server we pay for, it's kinda rude. Get your own box". I agree.

So we have two options:

1) Charge a pittance per month, like $5 or $10 a member, to get a reserved slot on a dedicated server. TF2 dedicated 24 slot public servers range between $45 and $75 a month.

2) Take up a collection to buy a nice rackmount box, I'll donate a copy of Win2k3 server (I have an unused, legit retail license), and I'll rack it and host it for free. This would involve paying one time instead of monthly.

Advantage to 1: We don't need to "worry" about it. It'll just be there and we won't be responsible for hardware, etc. Pain in the ass factor=low.

Disadvantage to 1: While the dollar amount is low per person, it can be a pain in the ass to collect, enforce, and coordinate the taking of money from 10-15 different people every month, gather it all together, pay the bill, etc. Administrative/organizational pain in the ass factor= super high.

Advantage to 2: Cheap in the long run. One time cost outlay, we own the bitch.

Disadvantage to 2: Expensive up front. TF2 and other sourceDS games require pretty damned good hardware, especially for 24 slots. We're talking dual core, 2-4gb ram, etc.

I'll be up front and tell you if we choose the first method, I am not going to be the one handling the accounting. I just don't have the time or resources to deal with that kind of headache. I'll gladly fork over my $5-$10 per month to whomever wants to deal with it, but it ain't me.

If we choose 2, I'll set the whole thing up.

Team {IC}, it's your call.

Comments

• steste Manchester , England
    edited November 2007
    how much would 2 cost/
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    If we can aquire a good enough server for 24 people (i.e. NO LAG) and I can get good enough ping (:p), I'd go with 2.

My only concern is when all the hype dies down. What are we gonna do with the server then?

-Edit-
    Just pinged Icrontic and I get an average of 128ms. Kinda sucks for gaming ;[
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I just configured a PowerEdge 1950 with a Quad Core Xeon, 2gb of RAM and a 36gb SAS drive for about $1500. I'd estimate $1500-$1700 depending on when we buy, plus shipping, tax, etc.

So yeah we'd need to come up with quite a bit per person. As for what to do with it "some day", I guess we could either move on to another game, sell it and redistribute leftover funds, donate it to icrontic.com as a webserver (that's better than what we're running now), or give it away in a contest or something. There are lots of options.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Can you bump it down to dual-core/4gb?
    edited November 2007
    On a side note: My connection at the datacenter is 5mb/sec up and down dedicated backbone, extremely low latency. The pipe be good.
    edited November 2007
    I am completely open to suggestions on the hardware config. Dell happened to be running a special right now that was a free upgrade to Quad core, and then for $99 more up to a 1.86ghz Quad instead of 1.66ghz.

I am not married to any vendor. Sun, IBM, HP, Dell, you name it, I don't care. If it's a good deal, I'm on it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Well, if it's free, nevermind.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    ....time to open an icrontic store front to raise $
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I'd say Own it. Voted.
    We would have control over it as a team.
    For the preferred game down the road as prime says.
    No one would be complaining anymore when we all wanted to get into the games. Slots could be set to go to members, if server gets full.
    What size HD would it need. I have a WD Raptor 36 GB SATA 10,000 rpm Hard Drive I'd donate if it can be used. Along with my portion of the build fee.
    i know this is still in the thinking out/deciding process. Just wanted to add my support.
    edited November 2007
    The one I configured had a 36gb SaS (Serial Attached SCSI) 15K RPM drive - super fast, but we don't need a ton of space.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Another vote for owned. Would donate money, parts, etc...
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I have the hardware (Mobo, ram, probably vid card, HDD, CPU if we want Dual, don't have a quad) .... I will donate all that to the server, we just need a rackmount box for it.

That should reduce costs by quite a bit?
    edited November 2007
    I <3 RyderOCZ

* boop *
    edited November 2007
    Ryder, first I truly appreciate the donation, that is bombawesome! :D

I just want to make sure the hardware is 1U rackmount compatible: Is the mobo such that it supports fully headless booting (usually only Tyan/Supermicro or Intel OEM boards support this), along with datacenter-centric BIOS options like remote power triggering, WoL, etc.

Video cards don't go into 1U servers, mobo usually has onboard video. Also, CPU socket config needs to take 1U cooling into consideration, there's usually a thermal channel for front fans to blow air across the HSF's (properly aligned) fins, and out the back. The RAM is stock, we can use any ram. HD we can also use.

Case / mobo / PSU / HSF are usually optimized for 1U configs. If you do indeed have 1U hardware, then man we are way ahead of the game.

Thanks for the donation!
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    aha...see that is the kicker...I don't have 1U stuff.

I thought we could build a box in maybe 3-4U enclosure...but I suppose that is way to "90's" for a datacenter now days, isn't it?
    edited November 2007
    the_technocrat is up to something...

check back tomorrow

server on a T1, WHAT <3
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I definitely prefer the "owned" option. There are plenty of things we can do with it later (esp at lans, or future dedicated servers, folding ;) ), so that shouldn't be an issue. What can be is the upfront cost. So any donations will be very helpful (thx a lot Ryder you rock dude!) . I am willing to put up a little dough for this and I think others will too.

I don't like the rent version because monthly costs make the game seem like a job. As in "I gotta play 20hrs a week of this game cuz I am paying for it" etc.

my thoughts
    edited November 2007
    I really really doubt a T1 will be able to cope with 24 players. A T1 is only 1.544 channelized, and that's assuming the server is the only device on that T1.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited November 2007
    I vote for owning the server. I will gladly give $50 to help out. In the future we can always use the server for other games and/or lanbox kinda thing. Sometimes I do feel bad sometimes when 10+ of us are on other "clans" servers, those admins do have the right to complain.

My only concern would be how many people would the server be able to hold (at the moment for TF2? 24 / 28/ 30 / 32?)
    edited November 2007
    Valve officially supports 24 slot servers only. Anything above that, you can get delisted. TF2 was balanced for 24 players.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited November 2007
    I think 24 people on a server is a good balanced number. I do have to point out some potential issues though.

1) I would assume that if people want to help out and donate, they would be given reserve slots or some other privilige. What is going to happen if we have 24 {IC} people playing (which I do admit is unlikely) at the same time and we have more {IC} people trying join. How will we decide who gets priority and etc.

2) Will the server lag be ok? I dont know how to phrase it techinically but will the lag be ok for people who live far away from server?

3) Should we publicize the server to get more players?

4) We need some people to design some cool art for us. Some kinda super cool representation.

5) dammnit, i just spilt my beer.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I'd be completely in support of some type of {IC} Gamer sect of the site, provided we get enough support for it. ...I'm thinking of something much like what [H] did with it's gamers, pre-community implosion.

I don't know how easy it would be, but cycling between games from month to month might be enjoyable and keep things fresh.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2007
    Sounds like a good idea. I've got but not played TF2 much, I've been busy with Portal, Bioshock and now CoD4. Can you have more than one game running?
    Manchester to Icrontic ping = ave 125ms.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I would rather pwn, then rent.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I'm totally willing to fork over the money to own.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Would we institute some form of member priority for IC members to be able to kick non-clan members if the server's full? I always hate the clan servers that do that, but might not mind it if it gets me a slot on our own. ;)
    edited November 2007
    I think 24 people on a server is a good balanced number. I do have to point out some potential issues though.

1) I would assume that if people want to help out and donate, they would be given reserve slots or some other privilige. What is going to happen if we have 24 {IC} people playing (which I do admit is unlikely) at the same time and we have more {IC} people trying join. How will we decide who gets priority and etc.

Absolutely - ownership will indicate an always reserved slot. The second you would sign in, any non-members would be up for kick-age. I'm almost 100% positive you can automate this. As far as 24 {IC} people playing simultaneously, I really don't ever see this happening short of a sanctioned and organized IC event like the LAN. Even at the LAN we're pressed to get 24 people playing simultaneously. I guess you could say that if we ever do see that situation, we're all friends enough and cool enough to say "that's incredible. I guess I'll just wait or come back later". Honestly, I don't see this happening any time soon.
    Eggrolled wrote:
    2) Will the server lag be ok? I dont know how to phrase it techinically but will the lag be ok for people who live far away from server?
    Nothing can be done about ISP-caused latency, such as occurs when connecting from other countries. In the US, and most likely western Europe, the ping will be really good. The datacenter is right on 3 major backbones.
    Eggrolled wrote:
    3) Should we publicize the server to get more players?
    I don't see why not. We've already gotten a few new faces around here just from us having {IC} tags and a Steam group. No reason we can't step up the marketing effort. We are a "clan" that promotes mature, fun, "non ****-tard" style gaming, and there are plenty of people who would love to find a close-knit group like ours.
    4) We need some people to design some cool art for us. Some kinda super cool representation.
    I have someone in mind ;)
    5) dammnit, i just spilt my beer.
    ****!
    edited November 2007
    Okay clearly the "own" option is the winner. The question becomes one of reality at this point: Can we really raise the money it would cost to buy good enough gear for a 24 slot TF2 dedicated server? If 24 people chip in $50, that's still not enough for a dual core 1U 2gb machine. :-/ I doubt we'll have 24 people chipping in, so that sucks too :(

I think it's time for a private {IC} gaming clan forum......... to continue this discussion. I'm reasonably sure that some people will be reluctant to discuss donations on the public forums.

/me goes to push buttons....
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I really really doubt a T1 will be able to cope with 24 players. A T1 is only 1.544 channelized, and that's assuming the server is the only device on that T1.

I know one way to find out.

And from 6pm-6am it would be the only server on the T1. (Minus from 6pm-7pm: backup window for pulling from remote campuses.)

Might not work, but I'll have a go. I've got an IBM 306m in the rack that isn't needed until June. P4 3.4Ghz / 2GB mem / 2x 36GB 10K HD

edit: ...and it doesn't set on fire with > 4 players. ;-) *much luv prime!*
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    TBH at my store we have 2 LAN servers and they are spec'ed pretty dang low. I think they are running single core cel'es with 2 GB of ram and they run the game top notch with 24 & 32 players.

I think we can go pretty low class with a sweet net speed and drive speed.

I'd be in for $5 to $10 a month to get a server online. I bet with the system Prime spec'ed out we could run TF2 and CoD4 at the same time :)