TEQUILA advice please

SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
edited January 2008 in Food & Drink
Any brands you guys recommend, I have tried in the UK standard Jose Cuervo silver and gold, Olmeca silver and gold, Sauza you got it silver and gold also Sauza hornitos my current favourite. Also tried the Monte Alban mezcal with the worm and yes ate the worm.

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Advice: avoid :p
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Cabo Wabo is somewhere in the middle of "good" and "cheap" - meaning it's not cheap, but it is very good.

Sauza, etc. are the bulk brands. They're all basically the same. The difference between cheap tequila and good tequila is astounding. It's an entirely different drink.

If I had 3-4 regular tequila shots, I'd be ****ty. One night me and Pseudonym put away a bottle of Cabo Wabo and we were very happy. Not ****ty at all :D
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I've had plenty, but as far as more "commercialized" tequilas, I prefer El Jimidor and 1800. Ah, the benefits of being close to the border.
    edited December 2007
    I hereby declare that NiGHTS must bring a bottle of something hot-ass to LAN 08......
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited December 2007
    Keebler wrote:
    Advice: avoid :p
    hehe it is safer for me to drink than most Whisky blends , just checked cabo wabo availability in the UK basically 76 bucks a bottle . I don't buy malts at that price :eek:
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Cabo Wabo is definitely good for not feeling ****ty. During consumption as well as the next day.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Try Patrón. Es my bien.
    edited December 2007
    just checked some Uk prices for top of the range patron £376 a bottle :confused:
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Patron Silver or Anejo are good, and they appear to be around £45-50 a bottle.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    only time I do tequilla is in a margarita, then its jose 1800.
    edited December 2007
    Patron... sigh :D
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7rXQv7woSfE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7rXQv7woSfE&rel=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    ;D;D;D

and thats why I don't do Tequilla
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    The difference between cheap tequila and good tequila is astounding. It's an entirely different drink.

This is the literal truth.

The Mexican government strictly regulates Tequila. Basic Jose or Pepe or even Sauza may be fine in a mixed drink, but NEVER drink it straight. This stuff is cut with various ingredients up to 49%, as "Tequila" need be only 51% agave by law. The gold colored tequila you see from these brands' normal lines is actually blanco (white, un-aged tequila) that contains caramel color and artificial wood flavoring to look and taste reposado (rested) or añejo (aged), but it truly is not. If you're buying tequila of this grade, you're better off just buying a bottle of blanco because it has less chance of having as much artificial crap in it.

If you are choosing a tequila to drink it, make absolutely certain you choose something that is 100% Agave. If a tequila is 100% agave, it will definitely say so on the label. If you don't see it on the label, assume it is mixto (51%) and don't try it neat unless you want a headache the next day. Generally speaking, the more aged the tequila, the smoother the flavor. 100% agave tequilas, since they aren't cut with anything else, are less likely to give you the hangover that people generally associate with tequila.
    edited December 2007
    Funny TT, excellent advice GH the Hornitos is 100% agave and allegedly reposado
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    Funny TT, excellent advice GH the Hornitos is 100% agave and allegedly reposado

You can trust that, as 100% agave resposado truly is reposado. It gets its light color from the short aging period in oak barrels, but there are no additives.

It's no wonder that the Hornitos is your favorite over the others. ;)
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Girlfriend studied in Guadalajara this summer and got to ride the "Tequila Train" to Tequila, Mexico. They toured a plant, got a bunch of small samples, and had a good time - only wish I were there. They talked a lot about the regulations on Tequila, though, like GH discussed above. Obviously, it's big business.

Unfortunately, some areas are starting to burn Agave crops to replace them with Corn and the pre-Ethanol craze that may sweep the nation.
  • edited December 2007
    patron green label
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited December 2007
    Far from the Tequila "paint remover", they sell at the bars here in Sweden.
    I can only advise you to test the Tequila Herradura Reposado.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Aside from Patron,
    El Cazadores & El Jimador<- 1/2 the price of patron

Please, no more Jose or Sauza, that stuff should be banned.
  • jhenryjhenry California's Wine Country
    edited January 2008
    Some Tequila advice?

Anything but Tila Tequila...

hardy har har
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited January 2008
    ughh why drink tequila, its grossssss. Then again, I don't drink much liquor. Beer's the way to go!
    edited January 2008
    Everybody who ever says "tequila is gross" has only had gross tequila: i.e. anything under $30 a bottle. Just like people who think coffee is gross, have only ever tried Folgers or some other garbage.

Trust me, once you've tried good tequila, you will change your opinion.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited January 2008
    The only times that I drink tequila it's patron silver. My friend buys that stuff all the time, so if there are free shots involved I'm not gonna pass ;)

Actually, now that I think about it the only straight shots of tequila I have taken have been patron. I've had cheap crap that come in the plastic bottles too, but in mixed drinks.