Error 1327. Invalid Drive c:\

MadKowDZsMadKowDZs U.S.A.
edited January 2011 in Science & Tech
When I try to install new software I keep getting this error message.

Now, I do know why it does this... I don't have any drive labled "C:"

The error occurs during 'InstallShield Wizard'. So, it is before I can set what drive to install it to. After I click 'OK' it just closes.

Any ideas on what to do?

Comments

• ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    STRICTLY A GUESS: the software WANTS your drive to be named 'C' and when it can't find it, errors out. If there's any sort of support forum for the software, try posting there..or tell us what it is?
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited December 2003
    how do you not have a drive named c: ? isn't that the default for the primary windows drive?
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited December 2003
    Not necessarily. What if your CD-ROM was configured as Primary Master and your HDD as Primary Slave (however retarded that sounds..) :D
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Been known to happen, and XP will install that way! Seen boxes with a Primary Master DVD\-+RW also. Yes, sounds dumb to those who have been doing it a long time(was more critical due to speed on older boxes, MUCH older than 2 years old), but we all start somewhere with limited knowledge.

John.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2003
    Another example: I forgot to disconnect two storage drives for my Old Time Radio shows when I installed a new HD on one of my comps. My boot drive is F:

Can't change it, either. (Without another format...)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    The only real solution is to get a drive named C: There would be other ways around this, but there's really no reason not to just use the standard drive letter designations. Trying not to will just cause you headaches, and has no real advantage.
  • cltaylor12cltaylor12 San Jose, CA
    edited December 2004
    I'm having a similar problem, except my error is "Error 1327. Invalid Drive H:\" and occurs when I launch iTunes.

I recently merged some partitions, and move some applications around. The iTunes application runs properly once I click past the error (which happens two or three times before I can actually get past it to the application).

I was given instructions on another side regarding looking in specific places in my registry for references to H:/ which would need to be changed to the appropriate drive letter (given there is no H:/ on my system); however, I found no references to H:/ in the registry locations I was instructed to review.

So, I'm at a loss as well. Haven't had time to fuss around with my new external USB drive AND my new iPOD at the same time (hooked to both USB ports), so I dont' know if iTunes perhaps thinks that H:/ is my iPod (because its not clear to me if an iPod is 'viewed' by Windows XP or by iTunes as a "drive"; I don't recall assigning it a letter).

The application knows how to find the external hard drive (m:/) though, which is "nice".

So yeah, how the heck to I get rid of this Error 1327 business? Drive "H:/" technically "should" be "invalid", because I don't have one; but since nothing in the registry keys nor in the application (as far as I can tell) is pointing to H:/ , I don't know where else to look.

c-
  • edited September 2005
    Regarding the ipod invalid drive H problem, I had a similar problem. The solution was to put my ipod in the target drive (in your case, H). Then, I went to "My Computer" clicked on the drive, to find that an errant My Music file, containing my ipod tracks was inadvertently stored on that drive. So, I deleted that file, and any files that did not belong on that drive. That seems to be the answer so far.

I tried other things such as uninstalling and reinstalling itunes; cleaning out the registry, but nothing worked.

How the file got onto the drive / ipod, seems to have happened when a backup of my harddrive (containing the My Music file) went a bit strange. Lots of strange things happened, and some of the files ending up on the ipod must have been one of them.

Hope this helps. I've had a very frustrating time with my ipod, so I'd like to help where I can.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2005
    You guys might scan your registry and make sure its not holding a setting for the C: or H: drives. This can often happen when your drive letters have changed at some time. many of the registry tools let you scan and replace all occurances of say "C:" with "D:" for example. I use registry crawler for this stuff. Its free.

Other then that your installing software with a crappy install destination thats hard coded to C: and doesnt use the location of say 'My Program Files" which is in the registry. Often software for older versions of windows did this.

Tex
  • RDNRDN
    edited July 2006
    Tex wrote:
    You guys might scan your registry and make sure its not holding a setting for the C: or H: drives. This can often happen when your drive letters have changed at some time. many of the registry tools let you scan and replace all occurrences of say "C:" with "D:" for example. I use registry crawler for this stuff. Its free.
    OK, so three years and three months later I had the same problem. And good ole Tex gave me the clue I needed to fix it. :)

My problem was I got the error message "Error 1327.Invalid Drive: D:\"

But I didn't have a drive D: - although I used to! So I ran a registry cleaner "Tune Up Utilities" to check the registry and still I got the error message when I tried to install "Kerio" firewall software.

Then I ran regedit (Start/Run enter: "regedit" / OK) and went through the entire registry looking for all occurrences of "D:" and deleted all of the ones that referred to drive D:. After all, I didn't have a drive D: any more, so what was the harm? Of course, there were plenty of occurrences of "d:" that I didn't delete, such as "Enabled:" with a "d:" at the end. But every one that referred to DRIVE D:, I deleted.

It worked. I installed the software without any more errors.

Anyone who wants to do this, be CAREFUL! Learn about "regedit". If you're not sure, don't do it. And good luck!
  • edited January 2007
    Stoney, I removed your post here. Don't post the same problem in multiple places. That just makes the people trying to help you hop around trying to keep up, or will put part of the solution one place and part in another place.

You have your other very own thread on the problem, so just use that one location. Hope you get it fixed.

Leonardo
  • edited April 2007
    My "Invalid Drive: H:\" error was fixed by deleting references to my no-longer existing H: drive \DosDevices\H: from

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\MountedDevices
    and
    \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\MountedDevice1

Thanks to this thread for pointing me in the right direction :wink:

The boring details for those interested (and googlers having the same problem as me):

i keep My Documents and settings backed up on a USB drive. When overseas without my own computer, I create an account for myself on a friend's computer and point My Documents to the backup folder on my portable USB drive. Coming back to my own computer, as i am now, I mount the USB drive (H: in this case) and access My Documents from there. Once satisfied everything is intact, I eventually copy everything back to the local hard drive and remove the USB drive. But somehow the system remembers that My Documents was once on that external drive and Installers try to access it. For me, it was an iTunes upgrade, possibly looking for my iTunes library in the last place it was accessed from: H drive, which no longer exists as everything had been moved to the local drive since I last used it.
  • edited June 2007
    ScottDK wrote:
    My "Invalid Drive: H:\" error was fixed by deleting references to my no-longer existing H: drive \DosDevices\H: from

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\MountedDevices
    and
    \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\MountedDevice1

Okay, I have been trying everything previously mentioned...but nothing is working exactly like what I have been reading. I have window XP, got an ipod and tried to load the software, but I can't even get the software to load due to "error 1327 invalid drive H:\".
    I tried looking for the dosdevices, which I see, but none listed as H. I have dosdevices for a bunch of other drives...so if there's nothing as H, what do I delete? I am lost and I need help. Help me please, please, please. I need a lot of details as well b/c I am not that good at this kind of stuff. I like to play with the computer, but I am a little scared of messing it up!
    Thanks peeps!
  • edited June 2007
    Hi nancy
    I don't know if I can help you for your specific problem.. But try MAKING a drive H on your system for iTunes installer to find (that would be my next approach to finding a solution).

Make a folder under C:\ called H (Giving, C:\H)
    open a command prompt (Start menu / Run / type "cmd")
    type subst h: c:\h
    You will now have a H: drive (pointing to C:\H)

If this works, (or doesn't) you might want to clean off the H drive after
    To delete H drive later type subst h: /D

nancy wrote:
    I can't even get the software to load due to "error 1327 invalid drive H:\".
  • edited June 2007
    ScottDK wrote:
    Hi nancy
    I don't know if I can help you for your specific problem..

:D Hey, it did work! Yeah!! Thank you Scott DK!!:D
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited June 2007
    Hi Nancy! Hi Scott!

Glad to have you both on the forums! :)
  • edited January 2011
    The support on the steam websie is rubbish.

I had the same problem and it took me half an hour of going through the site trying thing to sort it.

He is the easy answer

Steam say

Question I receive the message "Error 1327. Invalid Drive: Drive" when installing Steam

Answer
    This is caused by incorrect registry key entries for Steam installation

How to solve this

1. Exit Steam.
    2. Navigate to your Steam directory. (Typically C:\Program Files\Steam or C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam
      • If you wish to save your game files for a future installation of Steam, copy your steamapps folder outside of your Steam directory.
    3. Delete all of the contents of your Steam directory. (NOTE If it even istall this far mine didn't)
    4. Go to Start > Run and type in regedit.
    5. For 32-bit operating systems:
      In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\.

Right-click on Valve and select Delete.

For 64-bit operating systems:
      In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Valve\.

Right-click on Valve and select Delete.
    6. In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam.
    7. Right-click on Valve select Delete.
    8. Close your Registry Editor.
    Then reinstall steam using the download on the front page of thier website.

Welcome to Steam

it's near the bottom

Then install your game as normal.

Now why they couldn't put this on thier site I don't know?

Hope it helps
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Old threads are old. Hopefully your solution will be of use to future users though