Gaming world abuzz - Microsoft scores major coup with Final Fantasy XIII

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited July 2008 in Science & Tech
This one made it past the rumor mills, and basically caused some slack-jawed, openmouthed stares at the Microsoft E3 press event today.

Square Enix's Final Fantasy 13, for all intents and purposes, is a system seller. People (even some I know personally) would have gone out and bought a Playstation 3 exclusively for Final Fantasy 13 when it comes out. It was one of Sony's "aces in the hole" - a game that would be guaranteed to move product off shelves. Nobody, nobody would have expected it to be anything other than a Sony exclusive.

Until today.
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0&quot; id="gamevideos6" width="500" align="middle" height="319">
<embed src="http://gamevideos.com//swf/gamevideos11.swf?embedded=1&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;src=http://gamevideos.com/video/videoListXML?id=19936&ordinal=&adPlay=false&quot; quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer&quot; play="true" loop="true" scale="showall" wmode="window" devicefont="false" id="gamevideos6" bgcolor="#000000" name="gamevideos6" menu="true" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="500" align="middle" height="319"></object>

See that whole "For Playstation 3 only" thing at the end? Yeah, not so much. Kotaku revealed today that Square Enix's Yoichi Wada came on stage in a Jobs-esque "and one last thing..." style, and revealed that Square Enix was proud to announce a simultaneous launch for both Xbox 360 AND Playstation 3.

The Sony fanboys are gonna be crying into their cornflakes tomorrow morning, boy howdy.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I've never been an FF fan, but it seems vastly more high-tech than previous entries to the series. Yes?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    By high tech, I assume you mean setting -

Each "fully numbered" FF game is set in a completely unique universe. There are only a few common themes between each game - namely the items (such as "Potion", "Phoenix Down", "Ether", "Elixir", etc.), Chocobos, some character named "Cid", the magic (Fire, Fira, Firaga, for example), and very vaguely, the weapons.

The setting for each FF game runs the gamut between straight up medieval (FF1, FF2, FF9) and super high tech (FF6, FF7, FF8, for example) There is usually some vague steampunk thing going on (even back to FF1 and FF2 with airships, crystal-powered devices, megastructures, etc.) From what I see here, FF13 looks vaguely similar to FF6 and FF7 in the "magic/technology" sense. There was a great deal of high technology in both of those games (especially 7), but here in 13 they are rendered with much greater fidelity.
  • jokerz4funjokerz4fun Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    OH MY GOD!!!!!! BEST IC REVIEW EVER!!!!!!!! I love it already!!! Its typical FF style music, the new characters, the new magic styles, and lets not forget the summons!!!!

FF is the only reason I was going to buy a PS3! I'm a huge fan of the series and love the fact that they switched over to the 360(cause I have one). Like every new title they produce it looks amazing and look forward to not having a social life when it comes out.

.................I must have the precious!!!!!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    [me]* CB is no happier with a 360/PS3 release than he would have been with a PS3 exclusive release because he doesn't want to have to get either system.[/me]
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited July 2008
    Part of me is excited of getting to play FF on the XBox 360......

...but part of me cringing at the time I'll be wasting on the XBox 360....
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    This maybe the first time i get to play it since it is not on a sony system. I am excited.
    edited July 2008
    Did they give a release date for ff 13?
    edited July 2008
    no, no release date
    edited July 2008
    no, no release date

Why do they do this to me?

Why Brian? :sad2:
  • edited July 2008
    Plus, the way they presented it last second was pretty classy too. Honestly I didn't care about the other games they were eventually going to release for the 360. As soon as Yoichi Wada quickly stepped back onstage to announce he had one more clip to show, I was immediately paying full attention. The trailer looked awesome.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    CB wrote:
    [me]* CB is no happier with a 360/PS3 release than he would have been with a PS3 exclusive release because he doesn't want to have to get either system.[/me]

I am with this guy, I mean the game looks so freakin' fantastic I'd buy it just for the visuals. But I am not buying a PS3 or 360 for price reasons and because I just don't want one; not that I hate them or anything, but I just ain't much of a gamer anymore to justify that kind of spending.

I wish I knew someone else nearby with either system though.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Who cares if people who don't own consoles aren't excited by this announcement? The mere fact that you don't own a modern console is implication enough that such an announcement wouldn't appeal to you in the first place. Nobody's suggesting you should buy one just for this game, either.

Let people be happy for a series they love.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I was never a huge fan of the turn based battles, but I may buy it just because it looks ****ing awesome
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Who cares if people who don't own consoles aren't excited by this announcement? The mere fact that you don't own a modern console is implication enough that such an announcement wouldn't appeal to you in the first place. Nobody's suggesting you should buy one just for this game, either.

Let people be happy for a series they love.

Your just so cool man.
    edited July 2008
    No. it's not that. Final Fantasy is my second favorite game franchise ever. If I didn't care about the game, then I wouldn't have commented.

My lack of a PS3 or 360 does not 'imply' anything about my desire to have this game. I really, really want this game. So much so that I might actually buy a console just to play it (I bought a PS2 just for FF).

What I meant is that this particular announcement doesn't mean much to me because it means I still don't have better access to this incredible and beautiful series of games.

If they had announced that it would be released for PC or Wii, then I would have jumped out of my freaking seat and pumped my fist in the air about a dozen times in celebration of the approx. $400 price drop
    edited July 2008
    Well if you're going to buy a console just for this game (I would have), get a 360. Mo' betta games.
    edited July 2008
    We're actually thinking, after this announcement, we might return the copy of Rockband we got for the Wii, and get a 360 and a copy of 360 Rockband. If I'm going to get a 360 for FF, we might as well have the good version of Rock Band also.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Well if you're going to buy a console just for this game (I would have), get a 360. Mo' betta games.

*as Sony has tears come to its eyes.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    RWB wrote:
    You're just so cool man.

Agreed

Ill buy it, play it for a few days, and finally get forget about it. Just as i do with every FF game.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I've actually never played a FF game. I wonder if this one is n00b accessible.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I'm sure it is. They are pretty fun games. And I can't help but assume the ps3 version will look better with all that extra horsepower under the hood.
    edited July 2008
    Every single game is totally different, so they're all pretty much noob accessible, since they don't build off of any previous games.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited July 2008
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']Agreed

Ill buy it, play it for a few days, and finally get forget about it. Just as i do with every FF game.

For me its usually more like:

Buy the game, play to a point where I start speaking in tongues:sawed::coffee:, take a break for a few days/spend the time in Barnes & Noble memorizing key points I missed is an Uber-expensive strategy guide I don't want to shell out the coin for.. go home and start the process all over again untill the game is finished....

Now that I'm married, I can't really do this anymore.. My wife isn't the video-game widow type... I'd end up having to explain to the Emergency Room Dr., how a 24" wide screen monitor got stuck in a certain orifice......
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    edited July 2008
    Like candy.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    NiGHTS wrote:

awesome!