Can't start my pc!!!

UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
edited August 2008 in Hardware
Hey guys. This is the first problem I've had with my PC. I don't know what happened but I'll explain it to the best of my ability.

Ok, so I was playing a game on my computer just about 4 hours ago. I turned it off and left for my soccer practice. I arrived back home about 4 hours later. I turned on my pc to play a little TF2. The fan in my pc made a really loud roar, louder than normal.

I waited a bit, but nothing happened. The moniter is black but its on and plugged in to the computer. The keyboard has power. And my computer has it's power button on as well.

For some reason, I figured I'd press a the light control button on my moniter. A message came up saying "In Power Save Mode. Press any button on keyboard or move the mouse." I've tried both; nothing happened.

I forced my computer to turn off and turned it back on. Same exact thing happens.

Please help if you know what's going on.

EDIT:// The computer also turned itself off at one point.

Thanks,
Weezer

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    What kind of PC is this? Home built?
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    What kind of PC is this? Home built?
    It's a Gateway with a AMD Anthlon 64 Processor 3700+, which it came with. Everything in it came with it. I did replace the video card with a GeForce 8800GT. And I'm running Windows XP.
  • TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
    edited July 2008
    Make sure all of the cables are plugged in properly first off. If you have been playing with any settings in the BIO's then you might want to reset those. To do so just unplug everything then open the case up and pull out the watch battery on the motherboard.
    edited July 2008
    Unplug the PSU from the wall or turn off the switch on the back if it is equipped with one. Press the power button 2-3 times after doing this to discharge the caps.

Now open it up and remove all ram except the stick that is in the slot closest to the CPU. Now try powering it back up. If it still doesn't start right, repeat the above and swap ram sticks.

Test all ram sticks like this in the slot closest to the CPU, see if anything changes.
    edited July 2008
    Ok. Ryder, I did what you said. The only stick of ram to work was the first one in the first slot. The other two do not.

So I have two sticks of dead RAM. That sucks. All the more reason to build a new PC to use the sweet RAM that i won from the LAN.

Thanks for your help guys.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I will solemnly take up your butterfly knife, disguise kit, and pistol while you are away. I'll keep them warmed up for you until you get back.

Gentlemen.....
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    YES!! I CAN BUILD MY SENTRIES WITHOUT FEAR!!

Erm...

I mean...that sucks. I hope you get it fixed.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited July 2008
    8800GT on a generic gateway psu could cause all of these symptoms and many more, I use OCZ stealth extreme and game extreme PSU's from preference now, though seasonic and tagan etc are fine too. :bigggrin:
    edited July 2008
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    8800GT on a generic gateway psu could cause all of these symptoms and many more, I use OCZ stealth extreme and game extreme PSU's from preference now, though seasonic and tagan etc are fine too. :bigggrin:
    No comprende...:)

OK. I still have all of my Steam games and everything I need to play TF2. It doesn't look very bad at all.
    edited July 2008
    Meaning the PSU might not have been capable over time to keep up with the vid card. Which lead to damage to the ram.

You need a PSU that is capable for the long haul with a mid/high end vid card, that is all :)
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited July 2008
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    No comprende...:)

OK. I still have all of my Steam games and everything I need to play TF2. It doesn't look very bad at all.
    what Ryder said, the PSU supplied with most store/online bought systems are commonly cheap basic units fit for the PC at standard when you add a decent and power hungry video card it can cause the voltage rails to become unstable and fry components. the same goes for many case, psu bundles. the one exception which I do approve of is my antec sonata III and bundled antec earth watts psu :bigggrin:
    edited July 2008
    I see what you're saying. Any recommendations on what kind of PSU I would need to prevent this from happening again. I'm kinda low on cash, so the cheapest available for that performance would be awesome.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    You aren't planning on installing a new PSU in your Gateway, are you? I'd do some reading. Quite a few companies like Gateway use proprietary PSUs, so you can't just go get one from Newegg and expect it to work.
    edited July 2008
    I really have no clue what I'm going to do. I'm going to start building a new PC so I want to know what would work with that vid card. I also want to use the ram that i won from the LAN.

I can't play crap right now either but i figured that.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    You aren't planning on installing a new PSU in your Gateway, are you? I'd do some reading. Quite a few companies like Gateway use proprietary PSUs, so you can't just go get one from Newegg and expect it to work.

It won't be a problem. Gateways are friendly.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Well in that case, something like the Corsair TX650 should probably work nicely for you.
    edited July 2008
    Weezer... email me, link is in my Sig ;)
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited July 2008
    talk to ryder, he'll get you hooked up :p
    edited July 2008
    Email sent.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    If you put together a new PC man, I'll help with the build. You know I'm good for it.

I'll help shop for parts too if you need it, though I'm sure Ryder will hook that up.

What kind of budget can you work out? Are the parents helping?

I'd say assume around $500-$600 for a decent gaming rig using the video card and OCZ LAN RAM you have already.
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, the parents will be helping but... it'll still be awhile. Definitely thinking about it though.
    edited August 2008
    I should be back in business in a few weeks here. I'm receiving a psu (many thanks, Ryder), I will be using the awesome ram that i got from the LAN, and i am purchasing a new cpu and mobo with the help of Lynx.