user id's should not match!

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited November 2004 in Folding@Home
This concerns Folding@home.
Those of you who use ghost (or simular) or duplicate your registry's on more than one computer should check your logs to make sure that you don't have duplicate user id's. If you do then let me know because something can be done to dramatically improve your output!

thanks
csimon

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Even though I don't, you've piqued my interest. What is it?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    well basically this ...if you do have matching user id's with your matching user name and team number (naturally) you will probably download the same wu's and whichever finishes first will be the only one to get the credit.

If you have matching user id's you need to stop the client ...edit the registry by deleting the UserID registry (see below) and restart the client ...stanford will reassign a new user ID which will be different.

Do not attempt this if you are not familiar with editing the registry.
    edited December 2003
    Makes sence.

Good find. You pick it up in another forum, or did it dawn on you?
    edited December 2003
    I've had a thread going at stanford in the beta forum for a bout a week now ...pythagoras pointed it out and chelseaoilman (carl) showed me what to do ...out of 27 machines in the lab 20 had the same user id (ghosted).
    edited December 2003
    It did dawn on me once but I had no idea how to change it ...marc has been telling me that something was wrong with my production and stanford stats always showed only 9 processors ...I should have been showing around 30 all along.
    Production has been dwindling for the past few months especially since the ghost.
    edited December 2003
    It'll be good to see your production come back up. :D
    edited December 2003
    you ain't kiddin!
    I wonder who's watching over jumpin_jacks farm?
  • miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited January 2004
    can u use the same ID on 2 pc's that haven't been ghosted?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Oh no! as if csimon needed a production boost! :D
    edited January 2004
    miinkie wrote:
    can u use the same ID on 2 pc's that haven't been ghosted?
    nope ...make sure that the user ID's are not the same. I used ghost as an example because that is how I managed to duplicate all of my ID's ...but the fact of the matter is that you don't want to duplicate your "user" ID's at all. MachineID's are a different story they can and usually are duplicated:fold:
    edited January 2004
    Oh no! as if csimon needed a production boost! :D
    :tongue:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Well, one thing for the one who talked about user ID. Please understand that name and team are not the UID csimon is talking about. Because he ghosted, he got a Client UID duplicated, and this is a hex number based on download instance, user name, and team name.

I fold as jdii1215, team 93. Both machines have THAT set of info. But, since I did not ghost, Stanford's download server sent me a different hash code when I configured each instance(think "downloaded client"). Thus the Client UID was unique for each machine and things worked, and both machine's outputs are credited right to "my" user name and team. Essentially, this becomes a client signature or CLIENT UID with a hash of all the above being made. Hash in this case, is a hex conversion of folding name, Team code, and download instance code. Thus, folding can adjust to individual machines and give machines the WUs best suited to each individual folding machine that is acting as a client for Folding's distributed network.

User Name is not ALL of what user ID the way csimon is talking about it means, and I think some newer folks might misunderstand. Like miinkie might have-- user name is NOT Client UID, each client(software run on a box to fold that manages folding on the flding box's end of things, ie CLIENT) individually needs a code unto itself. Yes, you can use same user name and team, just get clients for each box separately as individiual downloads or do as csimon said if you must ghost.

Folding, for one week, thought I had three CPUs folding, but what happened was on one box where I had turnin problems I had redownloaded the whole CLIENT software twice in one week. This did not fix other things, and folding's end had to fix what I ended up reporting to them in PMs to Vijay for forwarding to the net admin folks.

SIDE NOTE: In my case, was an end to end port to port connect problem-- could get a to server connect in 1/100th the time it took (iterative pinging to server via tracerouting was 1/100th the time it took to get a port connect on accepting server for more than 4 of foldings servers) to negotiate a port connect when any server one of my boxes was trying to turn in to was busy handing out new WUs beyond a certain load point. Now, if I get both boxes overlapping simultaneous connects, both WUs get turned in and I get two different WUs, one per box and credit for both turnins. Do not know exactly why, thankful it just works now. At a guess, some servers were not virtualizing port 8080 connects, or not handing off to other servers to take\accept WUs when busy.

John.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2004
    Unstickied, link placed in everything about FAH thread.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Please tell me what the proper way is to edit the registry. I clicked on Start << Run <<, typed "regedit", and got the list. Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, I have 2 of the "ab" icons. One is default and says 'value not set' for Data, the other says "TMID" for the name and has 5 groups of digits in the DATA column with 8-4-4-4-12 characters.

Then there is an icon with blue circles and lines with binary codes for Data, and the type is REG_BINARY. It has 5 groups of characters for its NAME, with 8-4-4-4-12 characters.

Which is the one I need to edit? I can check this against both computer that I currently have folding and change one of them.

Do I just delete it and then delete and reload folding@home and it'll fix itself? What do I need to do to get results from both computers?
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    i am using the SAME userid on two seperate pcs but they are working on two different WUs. i think that the credit should still be accounted for normally.. with stanfords computers assuming that i just am folding using a faster pc ( 2 pcs w/ same userid vs 1 pc ). machine ID for both pcs differ of course.