Achievements re-launching

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited February 2009 in Community
This weekend, I'll be launching a revised achievement system for Icrontic.

Here are a few highlights:
  • XBox-style point system (5-30 points per achievement) with no maximum number of points
  • 150 points will be "100% Icrontian" and it will calculate "How Icrontian" you are below that.
  • There will be lots of new achievements that will present many ways to earn well over 150 points.
  • Very Steam-looking interface will be located on your main My Account page
  • Bigger images, better titles, consistent descriptions
  • Achievements-that-aren't are being deprecated from the system, but at this stage I plan to leave them for people who already have them
  • Clearer delineation between action-based achievements that can be requested, and reputation-based achievements that must be recognized by the staff.
The purpose of this system is to encourage greater participation on the site and in the community. I'm sure you'll find that many regular LAN-attendees and staff members will start out at over 100%.

As an aside, I made a stylistic decision to launch it exclusively as dark-themed within the My Account panel. It sticks out a bit when using the default forum theme, but I like it so much I'm going to leave it as-is. For dark users, it will blend right in. See? Don't say I never give the dark theme any <3;)

I'll post again here after it launches. :cool:

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    AWESOME!
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Can't wait!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Launched the system tonight!

Still to come later this month:
    1. New artwork
    2. 30 new achievements

Check it out under My Account: http://icrontic.com/forum/usercp.php
    edited January 2009
    If you have under 100%, don't worry - the new achievements will probably add a LOT of points to your total.
    edited February 2009
    Added 30 new achievements, so get requesting :) This should fix your % Icrontian totals nicely. Please excuse the placeholder "?" artwork for now.

http://icrontic.com/forum/awards.php
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Keebs, good idea, but who's going to keep track of it all? As the site grows larger and we have more accomplished members, how will you (or anyone) keep the standards consistent and track who the worthy members are. Will you keep some kind of automated tracking and nomination system?
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited February 2009
    Very nice, Matt.

I submitted my achievements more than 30 seconds ago and you have not yet approved them. What gives? Quit slacking.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Cool, I had to submit myself for 2 more achievements. LAN07 & 08 got the shirts and badges to prove it.;D
    edited February 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Keebs, good idea, but who's going to keep track of it all? As the site grows larger and we have more accomplished members, how will you (or anyone) keep the standards consistent and track who the worthy members are. Will you keep some kind of automated tracking and nomination system?
    Most of them need to be requested by members, which sends me a PM. Self-advocacy for the win. :)

Also, Adjudicators can give awards from the Mod CP ;) I'll tell the staff more about that later.

Can't really code an automated system because of the nature of the awards.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    By automated, I really meant tracking, nothing intuitive and analytical.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the updated achievements Sir Keebs.
    It's a nice system for members to be recognized for their participation in the icrontic lifestyle,tech input,activities,social exploits, etc.
    Makes for a bit more fun in the family too.
    edited February 2009
    Cheers, Hawk! :cheers2: