i7 920 OC help...

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited December 2009 in Hardware
I have read the setting for Goods and drummers setups but with allt he info all over and attempts done I would like to get a direct setting for my system and its mobo. This thing has so many options I have no idea if I am change the wrong thing or not.

Here are my BIOS screens... any direction on what to adjust is much appreciated.

I am looking to get 3.8GHz... just don't want to jack the wrong setting and fry the system.

Comments

• GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited October 2009
    Im a bit lost with many labels on your bios screen but let me try to help you :
    Turbo mode and EIST: DISABLED
    Bclk: 200MHz
    Core voltage: 1.2v (Default 1.2v)
    DRAM Voltage: 1.65v (Default varies)
    Uncore voltage: 1.35v (Default 1.2v)
    CPU PLL Voltage: 1.88v (default 1.8v)
    CPU Multiplier: 12x (2400MHz)
    QPI Link Speed: 36x (3.6GHz - or - 7.2GT/s)
    Uncore Multiplier: 16x (3200MHz northbridge)
    Memory Multiplier: 8x (DDR3-1600)

This is from Thrax in my post and once i've found every setting and apply it this is what enabled me to run stable at 3.8Ghz / 1600-DDR. With those settings you'll see if you can achieve stable DDR-1600 ram settings. (with an underclocked CPU so its out of the equation as much as possible)

The only thing that is labelled a bit diffrently in your bios is :
    Core voltage -> cpu vtt voltage

You should manage to find any other settings listed in the quote i think.

If it boots and is stable with some memtest bench, you just take the CPU Multiplier to 20X and you'll run at 3.8 instead of 2.4Ghz.

Then you do some memtest again, if stable 1hour or so, you boot into windows and do some LinX bench or any other good windows stability bench. If stable than your gone, you could do the twist again and try to reduce the cpu vtt voltage if you want but otherwise the OC is complete.

let us know how it goes.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Uncore voltage: 1.35v (Default 1.2v)

Is that the CPU VID Control?

Also my QPI options are different... let me get some screens...
    edited October 2009
    As you can see my QPI options are different. Also do I need to adjust the "Boot Up CPU Base Clock" ?
    edited October 2009
    For QPI in my bios i chosed 6.5 Ghz for all my testing, but it was my FIRST option in the bios, what i would do is look on the net for some post about people who own the same board as you to see what kind of DPI they use in overall.

He'res a screen of my bios, i chosed X36 after the screen was taking and the bios told me its 6.5G

04170343828l.jpg

To be sure on your case i would look on the net for some guys with ur board and ur bios to see in overall what setting they use for stable OC.

Or ask Thrax he surely knows that he seems to know the new i7 DFI board :)

For the VID :
    The VID is the "stock" vCore for each chip, and it varies from chip to chip based on Intel's testing procedures. The VID will tell the motherboard: "This is the voltage I require at stock speeds when the VCore setting is on 'Auto' for proper operation." Nothing more. It is said that a lower VID value will yield better overclocks, but nothing's been conclusively proven.

Thats a full definition found on google :) lol

So no, its not uncore voltage.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    CPU VTT is the uncore voltage on this motherboard.

Sorry I haven't really had time to help more, Sledge. I've been doing the ICOK thing, and I've been away from my PC since Wednesday or so.

Here are some suggested settings:
    EIST/Speedstep/C1E/VT: Disabled
    Spread spectrum: Disabled
    Any shadowing options: Disabled
    Bclk: 200MHz
    CPU Frequency: 4000MHz (200*20 )
    DRAM Frequency:1600MHz (200*8)
    QPI Frequency: 4400MHz (200*22) or 3600MHz (200*18)
    UnCore Frequency: 3200MHz (200*16)
    DRAM Voltage 1.65v (Default varies)
    CPU PLL Voltage: 1.88v (Default 1.8v)
    CPU VTT (UnCore) Voltage: 1.35v (Default 1.2v)
    CPU Voltage: 1.375v
    DRAM Timings: By SPD

This should get you to 4GHz, but it might be on the hot side. Try to back down your vcore if you can. All of these voltages are within Intel's specs.
    edited October 2009
    Sweet... I was trying somethings out yesterday at 3.8GHz and the system would not boot into Windows. I will give it another go later tonight when I get home from the office. On a brighter note my CPU cooler seems to be settling in as the temps have dropped 2C more while idle.
    edited October 2009
    I want to head home to OC this beast.... My wife & son will be gone tonight so I have all night to pull my hair out :)
    edited October 2009
    Got my first attempt in tonight. But it looks like Blk 200 isn't going to fly just yet. It seems to be an issue with memory as much as I can tell, as dicking around with memory timings let me finally boot into windows.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27769&stc=1&d=1256965204
    edited October 2009
    So as of now it looks like the crashing is mainly the memory... still dialing in different timing to see if it can keep windows running stable let alone and testing programs. The last above post was running fine until i ran SiperPI 2M and it crashed at the last iteration :(
    edited October 2009
    Did you test the memory alone ? with you cpu multi down to X12 and just doing some memtest ? That's how i managed to find the maximum i could get from my memory, well not the maximum but once i got DDR-1600 i was happy.

I got my ram stable at DDR-1600 with 8-8-8-19 , with 1 hour memtest bench without error with CPU MULTI X12 , then i just pushed the cpu multi up and i was flying at a rock solid 3.8Ghz, and even 4Ghz with way more heat :P

Note : Use every voltage Thrax posted as a start, in my case, before i got my CPU PLL Voltage: 1.88v (Default 1.8v) , my computer wasnt even booting at those settings. 1.88 and now it boots and its rock stable :P
    edited October 2009
    the problem is my voltage setting are rounded to even numbers :( Is there a way to get it to give me non even numbers?

CPU Frequency: 4000MHz (200*20 )
    DRAM Frequency:1200MHz (200*6)
    QPI Frequency: 4.800MHz (200*18*2)
    UnCore Frequency: 3200MHz (200*16) - Not even sure where to set this?
    DRAM Voltage 1.65v (Default varies)
    CPU PLL Voltage: 1.85v (Default 1.8v)
    CPU VTT (UnCore) Voltage: 1.34v (Default 1.2v)
    CPU Voltage: 1.375v
    DRAM Timings: 9-9-9-24-92
    edited October 2009
    I have now been playing with the voltages since I am stumped on the memory clocks...

With the CPU running at 4GHz I was able to drop down the Voltage to 1.215V and keep the system stable. I started to go lower & was getting the system to BSOD every so often. but with 1.215 it hasn't crashed yet.

OC.png
    edited November 2009
    You were not able to boot you mem at DDR-1600 with CPU underlock (with like X12 cpu multi) ?
    edited November 2009
    my setting on my motherboard will not allow me to run it at 12x and put the memory at 1600
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Saw you at OCZ forum as well.

Set the Bclock to stock (133) and the memory to 1600 to test the memory.
    edited November 2009
    will give it a shot.. the settings on my mobo seem to go a bit odd when trying to set it up. Maybe I am adjusting the wrong things. I think Thrax has the same mobo would be intrested in finding out or getting a screen of the settings in the bios.
    edited November 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Saw you at OCZ forum as well.

Set the Bclock to stock (133) and the memory to 1600 to test the memory.

So I tested the above and the system would not boost past the windows welcome screen.

Tests:

133x12 with mem at 1600MHz - Won't post
    133x12 with mem at 1333MHz - Boots & runs fine
    200x19 - Won't post
    150x19 with mem at 1500MHz - Boots with a hard crash when running Super PI 1m
    190x19 with mem at 1520MHz - Boots into Windows & crashed on 2nd run on Super PI 1m
    edited November 2009
    Then test 1 at a time to find the bad stick that is holding you back.
    edited November 2009
    I started doing that last night :( got tired & went to bed. Just realized I posted the above at 3:00am last night :)
    edited November 2009
    Yup... Not 1 stick will full boot with running 1600MHz. They get to the Windows 7 starting screen & than the system freezes. I dropped the sticks down to 1333MHz and they run fine individually. I than was able to get 2 of the 3 sticks to run at 1520MHz individually but I could not get the 2 sticks that would hit 1520MHz to run together stable.
    edited November 2009
    Looks like your sticks have some weakness at higher clocks, well they are rated at 1333 so anything upper than that is surely based on luck factor... looks like i was lucky to hit 1600 on my sticks =|
    edited November 2009
    Are they really only DDR3-1333 sticks? That changes things.
    edited November 2009
    He has the Obisidan 1600 kit, I have already taken care of this at the OCZ forum :)
    edited November 2009
    Right-o. CARRY ON.
    edited November 2009
    Yeah they were 1600 not 1333 :) OCZ rocks and is helping me out.
    edited November 2009
    Oh, sorry then i was sure you had the same kit as mine :)
    edited November 2009
    While waiting on my OCZ memory to get back to me I picked up some Corsair DDR3 1600 memory which is running as advertised right out of the box. once I get my OCZ sticks back i shall swap them out :)
    edited December 2009
    I have a 5970 I will be testing tonight... lets see what she can do.