Refresh rate problem with HD5850

pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
edited December 2009 in Hardware
I just installed my brand new XFX HD5850 and I can not for the life of me get it to go above 60hz refresh @ 1280x1024 (or any other resolution). I did not have this problem with the old 7900GT.

Any suggestions? The screen flicker is already killing my eyes.

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    what monitor do you have connected to it?
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Viewsonic G90f, 19" CRT
    edited December 2009
    hmm, that monitor should be able to do 85hz @ 1280x1024, according to the specs I found.

In Catalyst Control Center, go to Desktops & Displays, find your way to the resolution changing page for the screen, and see if you can set it to 85hz (use the Force button if you need to, it won't hurt the monitor).

Edit - also, make sure you find and check off the box that says something like "Use EDID for display capabilities".
    edited December 2009
    Already been there, there is no option above 60hz, even when attempting to force it to recognize rates. Also, yes, I know it can do that spec, that is what I have been running on it for years.

Also, in my ATI control panel, there is no way to force it. Only have that option open to me through the Windows display panel.
    edited December 2009
    lordbean wrote:
    also, make sure you find and check off the box that says something like "Use EDID for display capabilities".

Just found that box, turned it off, still nothing.
    edited December 2009
    Just found some 64-bit drivers for the monitor, so at least the system recognizes it now, but still the same problem with the refresh rate.
    edited December 2009
    well, I'm stumped for now. I don't currently have handy access to a Catalyst Control Center. I'll see if I can look into it more when I get home from work.
    edited December 2009
    This is incredibly frustrating. I buy a brand new card to go into my new system and the refresh rate can't be changed? I am kind of pissed right now because the rate is too low to be comfortable looking at for anything more than a few minutes.
    edited December 2009
    To be fair, CRTs haven't been a mainstream product in a good 4-5 years, so it's possible they didn't put huge emphasis on making sure the card worked properly with them... that being said, it's not a feature I'd expect to find nonfunctional.

Here's hoping it's still just some stupid tweak that has to be made somewhere. I feel your pain with CRT 60hz - I find it uncomfortable too.
    edited December 2009
    Thing is, I seem to remember having this problem from time to with my old x800XT. Had it a few times with the 7900GT when SLI was enabled, but driver tweaks fixed that.
    edited December 2009
    I have a Samsung Syncmaster 997DF at home... when I get the opportunity, I'll plug it into my HD5850 and see if I run into the same kind of problem.

Unfortunately, my gaming rig is still (temporarily) out of commission due to my accidentally making its RAID5 array unbootable. I should have it solved by sometime tonight though.
    edited December 2009
    So, I plugged in my older CRT into the second port and guess what...I can control its refresh rate...just not the primary display...
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Pig,

Right click Catalyst control center > Select 1. ATI Radeon HD 5850 > hover over it and the next menu appears, select 3D Settings > then on the next menu "Wait for Vertical Refresh" is it set to "Always On"?
    edited December 2009
    That setting shouldn't really have anything to do with it... it's only supposed to lock game framerates to whatever the monitor's refresh rate happens to be, which isn't necessarily 60hz. You can enable vsync @ 70hz, 80hz, 85hz, whatever.
    edited December 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Pig,

Right click Catalyst control center > Select 1. ATI Radeon HD 5850 > hover over it and the next menu appears, select 3D Settings > then on the next menu "Wait for Vertical Refresh" is it set to "Always On"?

Default is set to "application decides" forced it to off at all times.

Right now I am ghetto rigged hot swapping monitors so that I can get 75Hz on this monitor. Wish I could get it up to 85Hz, mainly because thats where it is designed to run and the picture fits better.
    edited December 2009
    Doesn't the monitor have a built-in adjustment system for that? I can move, stretch, warp, twist, and otherwise contort the image on my 997DF in just about any way I please, and it saves the settings per-resolution.
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I can manually do everything and have to every time I put in a new video card, problem is, I am still not able to get this monitor to accept anything over 60Hz unless I trick the computer into thinking it is a different monitor by hotswapping the A90 (older viewsonic 19") with the G90f.
    edited December 2009
    Bump?
    edited December 2009
    Oh yeah, forgot to check out what happens when I plug my 997DF in. I'll get to it after work.
    edited December 2009
    After trying numerous different options, drivers, and monitors, the people at both AMD and XFX recommended reinstalling Windows as it could be an issue with the install of that and not the card or drivers. I'm thinking they are on to something, since I did do this install when the bad RAM was still in the system.

Be back in a bit with a fresh install.
    edited December 2009
    Well, that's worth a shot - if you had bad RAM in the PC when you installed windows, god knows what could be corrupted in the OS.
    edited December 2009
    Back with a fresh install on a different HDD, same problem, though this time I was able to use a program to modify the A90 drivers to accept 1280x1024 @ 85Hz. I still have to do the ghetto swap (start the computer with the A90, get the settings to 1280x1024 75Hz, then hot swap in the good monitor) but now I am running at the resolution and frequency I want.

Also, after getting back in touch with AMD over this issue, they say it now may just be this monitor, since the A90 is correctly identified and it is almost 4 years older than this G90f and a fresh install with minimal components still renders essentially the same result. At least next month I get to use a 24" HDLCD while house sitting; should look fantastic with this HD5850.