Power supply for $500 computer?

QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Hardware
Hey everyone. I'm hoping very much to order all my computer parts tonight.

Here's what my computer build stands at right now: http://i.imgur.com/JNeax.jpg

I'd love to drop it by a few more dollars to get the total price down under $500, so I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a power supply cheaper than this one that could still output enough power for the computer build up there plus some future expansion ( dedicated graphics card, 2 more ram sticks, and an overclocked processor).

Someone had suggested this one to me, which is $10 cheaper, but the red fan leds would clash with the blue internal leds in the case (and aesthetics counts for something!), and can't be shut off.

Thanks very much!

EDIT: How does this one look? Cheapest OCZ power supply, as far as I can find.
Oh, and by the way, I'm not subtracting rebates from the cost, because the issue is the initial cost, not the eventual cost.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    You want us to comment on others' recommendations with you only providing vague details about the computer? Please give us some details.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Details are in the first link, Leo. :)
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2010
    Biggest detail I can see, is what vid card are you thinking of?
    I've had PSU's go for multiple different builds, IMO don't skimp there. I'd forgo the case and get a decent psu, (I've got an old case sitting on my scrap iron pile that could be used if I had to.)

I had a Corsair 520w psu that lasted me for 3 builds, my graphics card was starting to load it a little to much, so it got upgraded. (finally).
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited January 2010
    ....EDIT: How does this one look? Cheapest OCZ power supply, as far as I can find.
    Oh, and by the way, I'm not subtracting rebates from the cost, because the issue is the initial cost, not the eventual cost.

I've had that and liked it however just keep in the back of your mind that what carries you today may not carry you tomorrow. I really think going with the 600W is a better choice. While most ppl think the money should be in mobo/cpu/gpu, but if they can't be powered correctly..........

Just my two cents. ;)
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I ended up just going with the 600W. Actually, I ended up with the exact build in that first link up there. Parts purchased, should arrive later this week!
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited January 2010
    :cheers: Look forward to seeing what the build looks like!
  • CrisCris Buenos Aires, Arg
    edited February 2010
    I know I'm late for the party but for future reference: Newegg offers a PSU wattage calculator that you can access to by using this link: http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

Just select your parts from the dropdown and hit the Calculate button.