Team Fortress 2 Engineer Update: Search for the Golden Wrenches

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited August 2010 in Gaming

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I want this wrench so bad. It's the best update item by far.
  • PhIxXPhIxX Bryan, TX
    edited July 2010
    Can't even say the spy leaked it this time... interesting to find out how that update post got out there.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Even more interesting is that fact that 24 wrenches have already been found. How are these players finding the wrenches?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    The first guy to get one had his revoked and then banned from VAC servers for cheating.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Well, some folks found hints in source code and unlocked it themselves - I'm guessing those are the other ones banned. Otherwise, it just looks like lucky crafting (unless there's a specific recipe for the golden wrenches). The first 100 are getting enshrined forever.

And holy crap, the Frontier Justice looks wonderfully overpowered. Two crits for every sentry kill, one for assists, and a bonus when it's destroyed, even if the engi himself destroys it? Yikes.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Snark, totally off topic, but ya wanna know something that grinds my gears?

No..... Really..... I'm gonna tell ya anyhow.

The term Engi, I mean seriously guys, how damn lazy are we in the Team Fortress 2 community? Engi / Engineer, its one extra syllable guys, get it right! People all running around, whats the Engi doing, where is the Engi with my teleporter, hey Pyro's do a Spy check for that Engi!!

Do we call Medic's a Med, do we call Heavy's a Heav, do we call Sniper's, Snipe, Do we call Pyro's a Pie? (mmmmmmmm pie) NO!, we show them the proper respect that their class deserves! We give them all their syllables in tact, the way Websters intended!

Engi, its not a word, its not a class, its just a despicably disrespectful way to refer to the most important class defending against Heavy's that want to push that little cart and blow team red's base straight to hell!

ENGINEER!

That is all..... ;D
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I took a peek around the intertubes to see if there were any tips in nabbing a Golden Wrench. Here's what I've come up with, and remember it's all sketchy at best.

1. All 100 are available at any time; it is NOT 25 per day.

2. They are achieved by crafting from other items

3. You will only get one with a lucky chance when you craft an item

4. It mayyyy have something to do with the "Loose Canon" comic that was released recently, see the comic here: http://www.teamfortress.com/loosecanon/

5. There may be a specific blueprint/recipe that is needed for the chance of getting a golden hammer. Perhaps a "use this blueprint for a 99% chance of a normal wrench, 1% for a golden wrench". Or maybe you may just get it by crafting anything at all (more likely the latter)

6. They've temporarily disabled just smelting back and forth between the metals, to avoid cheating. So that tells me you can get the golden wrench by just crafting whatever.

7. For those that never crafted before, just launch TF2, go to "character setup", and click the "craft" icon that looks like a hammer and anvil. Go from there (there's a built-in help mini-tutorial).

Hope this helps. Would love to have an Icrontian earn a Golden Wrench. Best of luck - you'll need it.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    How many other classes have 3 syllables?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    This is insane; it's like Willy Wonka. The 33rd Golden Wrench was just found. Every single player in the world was notified via in-game popup.

Valve are truly masters of the craft. I was talking to LethalBlu tonight (remember him?); neither of us has played TF2 in months. This brought us back :D
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Snark, totally off topic, but ya wanna know something that grinds my gears?

No..... Really..... I'm gonna tell ya anyhow.

You don't complain about demo/demoman. Cannon already hit on it, but:

Med-ic
    Py-ro
    Hea-vy
    Sni-per
    Sol-dier
    Scout
    Spy

Demoman and Engineer are the only three-syllable classes, and they both have well-accepted two-syllable alternates - demo and engi. Now stop being silly and go find a wrench, darnit. They're releasing further engi updates with every 25 wrenches found, so at 50, the next upgrade gets shown off. Find find find, people!
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    You don't complain about demo/demoman. Cannon already hit on it, but:

Med-ic
    Py-ro
    Hea-vy
    Sni-per
    Sol-dier
    Scout
    Spy

Demoman and Engineer are the only three-syllable classes, and they both have well-accepted two-syllable alternates - demo and engi. Now stop being silly and go find a wrench, darnit. They're releasing further engi updates with every 25 wrenches found, so at 50, the next upgrade gets shown off. Find find find, people!

;D

I spent a few minutes crafting last night, no luck. I wonder if there is any method to it at all?
  • PhIxXPhIxX Bryan, TX
    edited July 2010
    There has at least been a trend that it's near the hour mark, normally within 6 minutes +/-, or so they say.
    edited July 2010
    Last night, some anon on the internet hate machine apparently figured out the algorithm to this. It seems that the wrech releases are timed. He predicted wrench drops at three different times around midnight PST. Wrenches dropped within two or three minutes of his predictions every time. The thread 404'd before he could explain further.

There is no specific blueprint to this. You just craft.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Heavy clearly = Hugwa
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    This is insane; it's like Willy Wonka. The 33rd Golden Wrench was just found. Every single player in the world was notified via in-game popup.

Valve are truly masters of the craft. I was talking to LethalBlu tonight (remember him?); neither of us has played TF2 in months. This brought us back :D

Worked on me, too. I don't know any of the maps anymore, but I'm running around shooting at anything that moves, anyway.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Yes the wrangler. Before ya'll scream OP and Bobby loves blue people. The sentry does go down for 3 seconds after the wrangler comes off it which when played right should force you to kill engi first then sentry second. oh man the insane engi defense I have in my head, a pair could rip people apart.
    edited July 2010
    You couldn't resist.

Keep in mind that shotty has half the amount of ammo as well, that'll make things a bit more difficult. If you don't hit before you reload, you'll be in trouble.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I believe that some may have commented that if they got a wrench they would destroy it just to piss people off. Well it appears that some one else thought the same thing, but that they would do it for charity.

http://teamfortress.com/post.php?id=4151&p=1