Subscriber + Home Page

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited September 2010 in Community
This morning my login is not being recognized on the home page(s) (Life/Gaming/Tech). It is showing "Sign In" instead of "My Account" and Ads are displaying.

While I do spend the majority of my time on the forum and am unaffected when I go to look for new articles or reopen the home page I get Ads that cause me nightmares... or make me want a Snickers.

I have verified this in FF3.6.6 and IE8.0.6

Rock On Icrontic:rockon: That is all,

-Digi

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    :wtf: Right after posting this I went to the home page and it is not doing it anymore.

<3 Mind Readers

-Digi
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Have you tried logging out on the front page and logging back in?
    edited July 2010
    Thrax wrote:

I did not. Will do if it happens again.

-Digi
    edited July 2010
    Hmmm, still doing it in IE. Logged out and logged back in to no avail. I wonder if posting had anything to do with it...

-Digi
    edited July 2010
    post from IE

[edit] Nope, still doing it after post.

-Digi
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Did you check the "Remember Me" box? Wordpress won't give you any <3 without a cookie.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I'm having similar issues (as noted in our Campfire chat). I'll share it for the possible benefit of others:

Okay, having an odd issue. I sign in to Icrontic, but when I visit the main page it keeps treating me like I'm not signed in. So when I visit an article and go to leave a comment, it treats me as a guest. I sign in, return, and it still does it. Tested positive on both Chrome 5.0.375.99 and Internet Explorer 8.

I left a comment on the Alice article in the forums, and while it shows up properly in the forums, it does not in article.

Update: My comment is now in the Alice article at the bottom of the comments section (as it should), but it's still telling me I'm signed out, and signing in does nothing. It takes me to the community forums and says I'm signed in, but when I go back to the main Icrontic site, it says I'm a guest again.

From there, if I then click to return to "community", it says I'm signed in. Back to the news site, it says "guest". So end result: I'm signed into the forums, but not the main IC site.
    edited July 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Lincoln wrote:
    Did you check the "Remember Me" box? Wordpress won't give you any <3 without a cookie.

I know these were directed at Digi but I tried it as well. I logged out in both browsers, and when I logged in I made sure "Remember Me" was checked. No effect on the issue. Still "in" for forums, "guest" for main site. Sigh.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Everything looking fine for me, but I am possibly a member of a different usergroup since I can Mod a couple forums.

Matt, maybe a usergroup issue with the new "sponsor" stuff implemented?
    edited July 2010
    [wrote this before Bandriks post but sidetracked]

I tested that per Link's recommendation and does not seem to effect it in IE.

Logged out, logged in, Home page shows "Sign In", Click Sign In and I'm on the forum signed in.

Logged out, logged in checking "Remember Me", same result.

Side note in IE when I bring up the Forum home page I receive an error
    Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648)
    Timestamp: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:38:24 UTC

Line: 1938
    Char: 3
    Code: 0
    URI: http://icrontic.com/forum/index.php

-Digi
    edited July 2010
    Update: still happening, now confirmed on Android Browser

-Digi
    edited July 2010
    Bump.

I realize this is not a pressing matter and if the admins have priority projects I understand. I am worried about the new subscriber program where someone pays $90 and still has to hunt down the front page articles in the forum to post under their registered name.

-Digi
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Lincoln is on vacation with his family for the next two weeks.
    edited August 2010
    Bandrik, the next time that happens I need you to hit wp-admin and tell me if it lets you in. I need to know whether it's really a permission issue or just the page getting cached by the server for too long.
    edited August 2010
    I Loled, This is the home page I got this morning:

2ds1xr9.jpg

My account takes me to My (BobbyDigi) account, WPAdmin links took me to login page with my username in the login.

-Digi
    edited August 2010
    Lincoln, here's what it's doing now. It seems to be 99% better, but still is slightly peculiar (though I can certainly live with it). I'm testing this with both a netbook (EeePC) and notebook, with Chrome and Firefox. Results are identical to all tests.

When I first dial up to the site, it now remembers me properly on the front page ("Howdy, Bandrik!"). Full access is open to WP by clicking on "Contribute to...". If I click "log out" and return to the main page, looks fine so far. Then I click "log in" and do so. It goes to the forums and says once again, "Howdy, Bandrik!"

Here's were it gets strange. If I then click on the IC logo to go back to the main page, it then reverts showing I'm not logged in. From there, I click on one of the the main articles (in this case, the one on CoolIt giving away 100 units) and it snaps back to showing me that I'm signed in (Howdy, Bandrik).

From there when I click the IC logo and return to the main page, I'm now signed in properly. From here on out, no matter where what path I click through the site, I now remain signed in, and will remain signed in even when I close and re-launch the browsers (as I should be).

It only "breaks" when I click "sign out", at which point the cycle can be repeated. In fact, this entire pattern can be repeated exactly and perfectly every time I click "log out". So in summary, if I am signed out or start fresh on a computer I haven't used before (a friend's laptop, etc), I must...

1) sign in (then goes to forums)
    2) return to front page
    3) click an article
    4) return once again to front page
    5) access now open to WP to write articles

Hope this helps, Lincoln. But at least for now it is consistent and not nearly as much of a hassle as before.
    edited August 2010
    Bandrik has narrowed it down perfectly. I don't seem to be getting Kwitko's home page anymore and it is acting exactly as Bandrik described. Only thing I would add is that "2) return to front page" includes clicking "Home", Clicking the logo or using a Favorite /going straight to Icrontic.com. I also CTRL+F5 after returning to the home page and the login is not effected.

-Digi
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Sounds to me like there's a WordPress caching problem... might be time to move Icrontic up to a more modern caching plugin lol
    edited September 2010
    I was feeling a bit Waxy this morning, Icrontic seems to be feeling the same way:

2n9cr38.jpg

-Digi
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    I've gotten those multiple times today, wax being one of 3 different ones.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    I've been welcomed as wax too. Did not see any of his info, just his name up in the welcome back box.
    edited September 2010
    the_technocrat today!
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    the_technocrat today!
    :vimp:
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    I've had a similar issue to Bandrik's at my school's lab computers, but it hasn't ever happened from my PC.
    edited September 2010
    Something is busted about our caching plugin. Looking into it.

Rest assured it's a cosmetic issue; no one is actually incorrectly logged in.
    edited September 2010
    Lincoln wrote:
    Something is busted about our caching plugin. Looking into it.

Rest assured it's a cosmetic issue; no one is actually incorrectly logged in.
    No, you rest assured that for a quantum moment, I was both technocrat, wax, myself, and all other Icrontians and non-Icrontians.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Icrontic's authentication system: Now with 100% more warp 10.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    No, you rest assured that for a quantum moment, I was both technocrat, wax, myself, and all other Icrontians and non-Icrontians.

That's deep. Like QuantomX deep.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    You take that back, quantomx is a scholar and a saint
    edited September 2010
    achievementdisguise.png