Protected Chests?

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited March 2011 in Minecraft
This poll is to decide if we install a mod to protect chests. This would allow us to have:

*chests that only the creator can open
*password protected chest that only those with the password can open
*public chests that anyone can get into

Poll will run for one week. If we decide to install it then we will go about deciding what mod to use.

Discussion thread here: http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91591

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    yea
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Still need to see how the mod would work before I can vote. It's yes or no depending on what mod we would use.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Still need to see how the mod would work before I can vote. It's yes or no depending on what mod we would use.

Discussion thread here: http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91591

I posted videos of the two that peeps have been talking about

-Digi
    edited January 2011
    I'm not a fan of the ugly one, especially since it (supposedly) only does single chests. I'd strongly favor lwc
    edited January 2011
    lwc looks pretty sweet
    edited January 2011
    I would like to point out that adding this mod would have no effect on those who didn't want to use it. You actually have to use it to lock your chests. Just sayin'
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Oh, ok then, that makes me cool with that then.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    I would like to point out that adding this mod would have no effect on those who didn't want to use it. You actually have to use it to lock your chests. Just sayin'
    Seeing that after i voted, I would change to Yes.
    edited January 2011
    Taking into consideration the 2 changed votes, the poll now stands at 10 aye, 5 nay. I'll look into adding this plugin to the server once the migration is complete.
    edited January 2011
    Yes wins. Since a few have shown interest in LWC: Lightweight Chest+Furnace Protection & Management we can say we are installing that unless someone wants to nominate another and then we fall back to plan B.

Plan B: Anyone who cares to can nominate a mod. Then we will do another vote to choose the mod we use.
    edited January 2011
    Yeah... this thread has, sadly, been made moot by the fact that hey0 is not being updated. We now have to wait for bukkit to reach a ready state and see what plugins become available for it. =/
  • TonyRockyHorrorTonyRockyHorror Alexandria, VA
    edited January 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    Yeah... this thread has, sadly, been made moot by the fact that hey0 is not being updated. We now have to wait for bukkit to reach a ready state and see what plugins become available for it. =/

It's only a matter of time.

As it stands, I'm definitely in favor of lockable chests and other mods. I don't care about "playing as it was meant to be played," which I think is a BS argument. I'm in favor of making playing MC more enjoyable, and if that meads mods and plugins for stuff like better chests, large project building, and trade, I'm all for it. :)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    It's only a matter of time.

As it stands, I'm definitely in favor of lockable chests and other mods. I don't care about "playing as it was meant to be played," which I think is a BS argument. I'm in favor of making playing MC more enjoyable, and if that meads mods and plugins for stuff like better chests, large project building, and trade, I'm all for it. :)

It's not about "playing as it was meant to be played" for the sake of "playing as it was meant to be played". The reason I always vote against the gameplay-changing mods, personally, is because I've seen many a modable online game get overmodded by communities, and then no one is happy.

We all like the base game. Each of us has different ideas about the strengths and weakness of that game, but we all do like it, that's why we're here. The problem with the gameplay mods is that each of them addresses something that some people might think are broken, but which breaks something in someone else's opinion. No mod will ever make everyone happy, and once we start modding the server, even if we do it democratically, we're going to end up with mods that make the game feel broken to someone, and then no one will be truly happy with the game anymore.

Safest thing to do is just not mod the gameplay at all.

(server and administration mods are a different story.)
    edited January 2011
    It's not hard to find a remote place and build a bunker. Mark it with something, dirt, etc. You'll be the only one who can find it if you don't use signs.

Unless some douche grabs a download of the world and runs observer on it with the hex filter for 'chest' turned on.
    edited January 2011
    Except that's ridiculously impractical. It's way easier and more user friendly to install a mod that allows the players to lock their chests if they want. I would not install this if it affected anyone that didn't want to use it. Provided a plugin like the one being discussed is released for bukkit (specifically the ability to lock chests if desired but leaves them unchanged by default) then I plan on installing it.
    edited January 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    Except that's ridiculously impractical.

More than enough places to hide a chest. False walls, false floors, etc. Very easy.
    edited January 2011
    I'm talking more of the "building a bunker in a remote place". Then anytime you need something from the chest, you have to trek out to the "remote place" (ie - the middle of nowhere) to get things.
    edited January 2011
    Works for me. 8]
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I actually have a hidden chest or two, except they're hidden in plain sight lol.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I totally missed this vote but I think the ability to have protected chest would be a good idea, even though I "TRUST" EVERYONE ;)
    edited February 2011
    the poll closed with a winner. is this getting installed?
    edited February 2011
    This poll was for the old server, back when hMod was still being run. I have not looked into similar mods for bukkit yet. If an acceptable plugin for bukkit is found, I will get it installed.
    edited February 2011
    ahh
    edited February 2011
    For the record, LWC has been fully ported from hey0 to bukkit/craftbukkit and is stable:

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/sec-mech-lwc-v1-491-lightweight-inventory-protection-management-230.967/
    edited February 2011
    For the record, LWC has been fully ported from hey0 to bukkit/craftbukkit and is stable:

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/sec-mech-lwc-v1-491-lightweight-inventory-protection-management-230.967/

I've looked it over. Requesting it on the test server for some hammering on.

-Digi
    edited February 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    I've looked it over. Requesting it on the test server for some hammering on.

-Digi

Sounds good!
    edited February 2011
    I'll add this to my todo list for tonight (been kinda swamped the past couple days, sorry guys). I'll post here once it's installed and ready for testing.
    edited February 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    I'll add this to my todo list for tonight (been kinda swamped the past couple days, sorry guys). I'll post here once it's installed and ready for testing.

No worries, dude! Thanks for hosting!
    edited February 2011
    ardichoke wrote:

There is no need to apologize for being awesome! I look forward to testing it whenever you have a free sec to install it.

-Digi
    edited February 2011
    Okay, LWC is installed on the test server. The test server is also updated to a more recent bukkit build. It doesn't look like LWC is fully functional yet. Protecting chests isn't working and it's a known issue judging by the LWC thread.