[Skyrim] FXAA Injector dramatically improves graphics

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Gaming
EDIT: 11/15/2011 @ 12:17 AM EST
I have updated my attached quality settings, which I feel further improve the game over the base. I have modified the game's gamma, color saturation, and color palette to be somewhat warmer and contrasty than the default.

This is the mod: http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=174

All you have to do is extract the contents of the rendermax fine-tuning FX -- FULL PACK -- zip file to the same location you've installed Skyrim to. To be very specific: the same folder that contains Skyrim.exe and SkyrimLauncher.exe. Don't just dump that folder into your Skyrim folder--make sure the contents of the folder (d3d9.dll, log.log, etc.) go in with Skyrim.exe.

OPTIONAL #1:
If you don't like the darkening at the edges of the screen, open injFX_Settings.h with notepad and change the 1 to a 0 at the end of "#define use_vignette 1", like so:
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------
						SHADER SELECTION
------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
// To disable / enable effects
// 0 = Disable  | 1 = Enable
#define USE_ANTI_ALIASING 0
#define USE_PRE_SHARPEN 0
// HDR NOT COMPLETED!!!
#define USE_HDR 0
#define USE_BLOOM 1
#define USE_TECHNICOLOR 0
#define USE_TONEMAP 1
#define USE_SEPIA 0
#define USE_VIGNETTE 0
// For use with Anaglyphic 3D glasses!!!
#define USE_ANAGLYPH 0
#define USE_POST_SHARPEN 1
#define USE_FINAL_LIMITER 0

OPTIONAL #2:
To further improve quality you can try my .h file attached to this thread. It enables FXAA and some additional texture sharpening.

HOW IT WORKS:
This mod uses a modified DX9 Direct3D DLL to add fast approximate anti-aliasing (FXAA), bloom, color enhancements, and sharpening as post-processing filters to Skyrim. The results look spectacular; see for yourself:

BEFORE v. AFTER (Ignore the apparent "dirtiness" of poor Lydia's face, it's a mod I have since uninstalled)

Sadly, these images don't do the final result justice. JPEG artifacting is ruining some of the effect, but you can do your own before/afters: press pause/break on your keyboard (above PGUP) to turn the effects on and off.

Just one drawback: Post-processing AA techniques like FXAA are indiscriminate about what they apply to. Your steam overlay may be somewhat blurry, as will small text in the game.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Bump for update with screenshots, and better quality settings.
  • I-need-a-better-nameI-need-a-better-name Austin Member
    edited November 2011
    Any news on a CAP? I'm getting fairly low FPS with my 6990.
    edited November 2011
    Early this week, Cat 11.11 and a new CAP. Also, #firstworldproblems.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Will this FXAA injector be in the CAP?
    edited November 2011
    No. Why would it be? :)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Maybe I meant driver. Err, Nevermind. I just want my Ultra settings
    edited November 2011
    Bump for updated attached file. Comparison screenshots in the original post show the game with the stock settings from the Skyrimnexus zip.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    It would seem that steam screenshots do not capture the post-processing done by this.

I am sad.
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, Steam runs as a D3D overlay, but it's actually a layer BELOW what the post-processing is doing, which means it isn't in a position to capture the effects. Hit PrtScrn instead for in-game screenshots.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Fraps picked it up just fine. Mostly mad that I lost a few cool before/after screentshots as I was out adventuring.