Is this a good PSU?

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
http://store.yahoo.com/akidacomputer/acpowsup50du.html

How decent is this brand? Any recommendations in the same price range of better PSUs?

Comments

• WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    nice link....i was thinking about buying an enermax 350 psu...but with 500watts at these prices...
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited June 2003
    I would'nt trust this 17$ power supply, even if you're on a budget, you should really invest more in the PSU because if it blows, chances are your whole system will be dead too.

You should get TTGI, ANTEC, Enermax, Fortron and if you want the best, go for PC power and cooling.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    NoFuture said
    I would'nt trust this 17$ power supply, even if you're on a budget, you should really invest more in the PSU because if it blows, chances are your whole system will be dead too.

You should get TTGI, ANTEC, Enermax, Fortron and if you want the best, go for PC power and cooling.

I couldn't agree more. Do not buy that PSU! There are just some things in life you shouldn't economise on.

You will not get a descent, or even a half descent PSU for that money. Especially if you want something which can put out that kind of power (500W). Between $60 - $70 dollars would be an average amount to work with when shopping for a PSU. However, all the PSU's I have recently bought have cost almost twice that.
    edited June 2003
    damn....i guess u just cant be thrifty when it comes to psus
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    ****e.

//edit: well ^that^ didn't work as planned... ;D
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    WuGgaRoO said
    damn....i guess u just cant be thrifty when it comes to psus

true according to what your uses are, remember what we were talking about in your thread about psu's.

My Antec True power 430 was like $89 though.
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    He's using them only for folding! Get the cheap PSU's, save yourself some money.

~dodo
    edited June 2003
    i dont want anything to blow up on me....
    besides...i found that newegg has enermax 350watts for only like 51 bux each (free shipping)
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    that sounds like a decent price on an enermax.

~dodo
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    CompUSA.

I have a 400w.

I use more parts than any other friend I have, and get better voltages than the following:

-Vantec 420
    -Antec 430 (or whatever it is)
    -Enermax 500
    -Sparkle 450
    -Codegen 400
    -Allied 400

Something to consider.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    How much does the CompUSA PSU run, Thrax? This is the fourth or fifth time I've seen you put in a plug for your PSU, so of course I'm interested...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    600w for $100
    500w for $80
    400w for $70

That's their basic, CompUSA brand. I suggest it because I'm honestly awe-struck by the quality of my own.

As in, the most important rail, the 5v, is at 5.13. The second most important rail, the 12v, is at 12.02.