KVM switches

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Hardware
im looking to purchase one of these bad boys when i go up to college and fold...do you guys have any suggestions about what not to get or what to stay away from. The KVM will be used strickly for folding machines

Comments

• NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited June 2003
    You should stay away from mechanic KVMs, I know they are damn cheap compared to the electronics one but in the long run, they will give a really hard time to your screen. I remember Icrontic had a review on a linksys KVM wich was quite good if I remember correctly.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited June 2003
    I have this belkin kvm in the link below:
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=200305&pcount=&Product_Id=122102

I've had it for about 9 months and have had few problems with it. Please note that the packaging is somewhat deceptive as its *not* a true USB kvm. Instead it accepts PS/2 mouse/keyboard inputs as and has outputs for each computer fo PS/2 or USB. I've actually found this feature quite useful as its nice and easy to setup a USB cable but a bit more of a pain for a PS/2 cable. Strangely I have problems with the USB on my Windows boxes but not my linux ones.

My main complaint about it is that its powered through the USB Port unless you buy/have a spare AC/DC adapter lying around. I guess you gotta cut costs everywhere, but the KVM actually won't work out of the box if not plugged into at least one computer via a USB cable.

Your purchase decision should really depend on what your situation is. I wanted the ease of USB and required high resolution and high refresh rates (hence high bandwidth) on the analog monitor connection. The belkin had the best combination at the lowest price. If all your boxes are folding on a small monitor a much cheaper simpler KVM will do you fine. That linksys KVM in a cable thing is really cool for small setups (I've got one of those too) for $50 CDN you can't beat it for a 2 port KVM.]

Also be careful on the cables. Sometimes no-namers work fine and other times they have problems. I've stuck with the standard (not pro) Belkin cables and had no problems. You'll probably end up spending as much if not more on cables than your KVM itsef if it has 4 or more ports)

OH and definitely stay away from the old analog kind. The price isn't really that much different anymore (the cables are the major cost if you're getting 4 anyways) and the electronic kind are much better. A nice feature of the electronic KVM's is the ability to switch between computers simply by pressing a keystroke. Be sure this feature is implemented well on the KVM you pick as its a big timesaver for us really lazy people.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    :wow: 179 bucks....screw that....im gonna get me that linksys for 50 lol... I need this kvm because oif my dorm room, the setup will go as follows.
    One computer hooked up to my default monitor.
    about 2 computers underneath my bed...i wanted something that all three could use...but then i would have to go with the highgrade stuff...and i dont need it that badly lol...ill just have a monitor underneath my bed so i can build myself a fort
    edited June 2003
    you can get those belkins for around $90, their online store is just a ripoff ;). But those linksys all in ones are the best solution for doing something cheap :D.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Twas I who reviewed the linksys :)

ProConnect® Integrated KVM 2-Port Switch is it's name.

It's a simple KVM with a hot key combo (press the Scroll Lock button twice within 3 seconds) to switch between units.

It can handle two PC's and can only use PS/2 mouse & keyboards. No USB.

It is however, damn cheap! (mine as £30 ~ $45) and does the job sublimely.

///EDIT/// USB is possible with this KVM. I have an MX700 mouse which is USB only. I use the standard PS/2 to USB adapter just fine. No issues or performance drops at all :) ///EndEDIT///
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Ok, I know that you said that you didnt want to spend alot of money but I couldnt read this and not post.

I cannot recomend these enough

http://www.daxten.com/us/overview.cfm?prodID=1

We use them in work and after using them for a while, I had to go out and get myself a set. I currently have my main machine, my server and IC16-UK running off it with room for a fourth when I have a machine in to fix.

They work like an absolute dream, 3 keyboard presses and you have jumped to another machine.

It say the maximum resolution 1600x1200 @ 80Hz but I have pushed it further.
    edited July 2003
    Shorty: That's the same USB that you get with the Belkin anyways, it only has USB outputs but I have to use a converter to change my intellimouse to ps/2 and then the KVM converts it back to a USB signal later. It sorta defeats the purpose :D.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited July 2003
    I have the Belkin version of the one shorty reviewed. It works like a charm except that you have to have on the PC you are booting up otherwise it defaults to 60mhz refresh rate and the mouse wheel wont work. Other than that its fantastic & well worth the money.

Regards

Jim