Choices: 1700, 2100, 2500

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Hardware
Right now I've got an XP2100+ (AIUHB) OC'd to stock 2700+ speed, 2.17GHz. I'm pretty much maxed on it, since my ambient temp is around 34C, so to keep load temp below 45 I can't OC it more, nor do I really need to.

I also own an XP1700+ TBred B, JIUHB 0312.

I'm considering buying a Barton XP2500+ chip, hopefully to get to 400MHz FSB. Is this likely with my ambient temp so high?

What's my best bet? I will keep 2 PCs in the end, so should I just not buy the Barton and keep my 2100 and 1700, or buy the 2500 and keep the 2100, or buy the 2500 and keep the 1700?

Both PCs will be running on A7N8X Deluxe motherboards. The Barton will be on the newer revision 400 FSB version of the mobo if I buy the Barton.

The primary rig uses an SK-7 with a 53CFM Mechatronics fan.
The secondary rig uses an AX-7 with a 35 CFM Sunon fan.

Which two chips should I use, and what will my OC's likely be with the two HSFs I'm using and my high ambient temp? I'm still trying to keep load temp around 45C...

Thanks!

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2003
    Right with the JIUHB's people are getting nice overclocks, like near 3ghz I've saw. With a slk-800 you should be able to push that 2100+ further also. I would go with the barton for sure, as far as with the 1700+ or 2100+, go with the one you can get more juice out of, then sell me the other one, hehe
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    Get another motherboard and run all 3.:) Fold on bro.

Well anyways people say the 2500+ zips right along. So that and whichever you can get more out of.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    So what's the likelihood that I'll be able to get a 2500+ to run at 11x200 (XP 3200+ stock speed) with my SK-7/53CFM combo, and keep it under 45C load with my 34C ambient temp?

What VCore would I need?

Does anyone have a link to that database of XP overclocks that was posted before the old IC went down?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    GHoosdum said
    So what's the likelihood that I'll be able to get a 2500+ to run at 11x200 (XP 3200+ stock speed) with my SK-7/53CFM combo, and keep it under 45C load with my 34C ambient temp?

What VCore would I need?

Does anyone have a link to that database of XP overclocks that was posted before the old IC went down?

I think you are forgetting something VERY vital if you wanna reach 200 fsb here. Memory. ANY amd can reach 200 fsb today, it´s more likely to be either the memory or the board itself that can stop you. Thos Asus, especially the new one should fix that easily. What memory do you have?

To be honest, i think you can reach longer with that 1700. With such good heatsink, 2.5 gigs isn´t impossible at all. I have seen much better than that. Drop that multi down to 10 or below and crank it!! :D
    edited July 2003
    I've got an nForce2 mobo... so although I'd have to run my memory at 333 async, maybe the dual channel DDR would actually come in handy since it would actually be able to use some of the dual-ness of the bandwidth?
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2003
    Don't think you will actually see a big increase with using the dual channel on the nf2 boards, if I recall the benchmarks only show a slight increase.
    edited July 2003
    Clutch said
    Don't think you will actually see a big increase with using the dual channel on the nf2 boards, if I recall the benchmarks only show a slight increase.

True, but all of teh reviews I've seen had the RAM running synchronously with the processor's FSB, so they didn't leave much room for the dual channel benefits to show... the processor was the bottleneck.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited July 2003
    Dual Channel doesn't work when the mem is over 333?

I thought it worked with 400fsb also ... and higher...
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited July 2003
    Dual channel works at any speed but usually, You will get about 5 fsb more by disabling it.

For OC, you should go with a 2500+, check peoples's experience to see wich stepping is good but usually, the most recent one is the best.

Have fun!