Hyperthreading

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited November 2004 in Folding@Home
I've just realised all the machines at work I'll be installing F@H on are hyper-threading capable. So, two questions.... how do I install 2 instances of F@H, and will I see a noticable increase in folding performance by doing this? Or would I be better leaving just one instance running and turning hyperthreading off?

Edit: Okay, answered the first question, figured out how to install multiple instances..... just need to know if it's worth doing now :)

Comments

• dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited November 2004
    Hyperthreading will give you more PPD, though NOT double the amount. All our computers with HT are enabled and run 2 instances. 1 x console and 1 x GUI.

There are some people here with more ideas on how much gain there is with it enabled. From what i have read, it's about 1.4, NOT 2.0 times the amount.

Sally has a P4 3.2 notebook that runs a single instance. This is quicker than the 2 instances on a 3.2 desktop with HT. However.......when the HT puter finishes it's 2 WU's, the notebook is still only part-way through the 2nd WU.

Hope this makes sense as i flew in from work today and have been awake for 29+ hours. :(

For those in the know, if my assumptions are incorrect, please enlighten me. :)

Jon
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited November 2004
    If you do not want people messing around with it, I would suggest 2 console versions installed as services. You will benefit from the HT, how much depends on the WUs you get.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited November 2004
    Okay, cheers guys, hopefully my production should take off over the next few weeks :)
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited November 2004
    Deicist, Sally got a P1310 on her notebook and now has a P1310 on a 3.2 HT machine.

The notebook is doing it in 38hrs 6min as a single instance, the HT is doing it in 48hrs 11min.

Both have 2x256 PC3200 ram. The HT has a Cheap Asus mobo and stock cooling.

Since the HT is doing 2 WU's, it's well in front. Just don't know the % advantage.