Problems Browsing Computers on my LAN

edited December 2004 in Science & Tech
Hi,

This problem made sound very familiar to some of you as I have been reading all related posts but to no avail.

I have 3 pc's set up on a home network with an ADSL router holding the internet connections for all 3. I am able to see all 3 pc's in my network neighbourhood and can browse/read/write to all but one of them. Here is a list of things I have checked already. All 3 PC's run WINXP Pro SP2.
  • Ensured that all PC's are in the same wokgroup
  • Ensured File Sharing is bound to TCP/IP on all 3 PC's
  • Enabled Netbios/Netbeui in the TCP/IP stack on all 3 PC's
  • Created identical accounts using the same password for all 3 PC's
  • Have shared folders/drives on all 3 PC's including the one I can't browse
  • Have ran Network Wizard on all PC's, many times on the one I can't browse
  • Can Ping all 3 PC's and my Router from the command prompt
  • Checked that all are correctly routed to the internet through the router, subnet mask and default gateway are the same.

When I try to browse the PC through the network neighbourhood I get a message that says "\\computername1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have permissions. Logon Failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer"

BTW.. the network worked perfectly up till recently when I had to reformat the PC I cannot browse, it has not worked since.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited December 2004
    Remove netbeui. There is really no need for it.
    instead of \\computername, can you try \\ipaddress?
  • pokesquid808pokesquid808 SO CAL
    edited December 2004
    also check your permission and security settings under the "sharing" option. you have to add your username to the security tab when you are uncheck simple file sharing in folder options.
  • maggie99635maggie99635 Alaska
    edited December 2004
    Make sure they are all using the same filesharing either simple filesharing or disable simple file sharing in Folder Options. Here is a good checklist also. http://forums.practicallynetworked.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=833
    Check your bindings
    Go to the Network Folder and click on Advanced on the toolbar of the folder>go to Advanced Settings.
    If you have simple filesharing disabled check the permissions. Any $ infront of the sharing and security tab of the folder means it is a hidden share. Just tick on new share and call it something different.
    If you do any changes reboot is usually a good idea to get the computers synched up.
  • edited December 2004
    Hi again,

First off I have managed to sort the problem.. how .. well thats a long story but thanks to those of you who replied, I did what you said but that did not cure the problem.

Maggie got me on to the practically networked site and it was from there that I sorted it, now I need to understand why.. below is a list of thing I did in addition to the suggestions above.

Unistalled NIS Completely - no joy.

The practically networked site introduced me to the local policy editor by suggesting that I make the following changes "- Access this computer from the network: add guest" this I did but to no avail.. then curiosity set in and I looked at the other 2 PC's. These did not have Guest but did have "Administrators" and "Everyone" there was also "Backup Operators" and a couple of others but guest was not there?

I addedd "Everyone" and "Administrators" re-booted and voilla.. full read and write access, shares the lot. Now why did that not happen intially? I am hoping that I aint opened up my PC's to the rest of the world? But I am off to re-install my NIS and Virus protection before I catch a cold.

Once again thanks to all who responded.. I have come to this site many times but never felt the need to register as I could always sort the problem out from the advice listed. People like you need total recognition for your professionalism and expertise, well done. Now that I'm registered I will be using this site more often, of that you can be certain.

Regards
  • maggie99635maggie99635 Alaska
    edited December 2004
    I always add the new share and it adds everyone. The original share has the $ in the sharing and security tab of the C and my my case G folder also. I have also had to give everyone a bit more permission in G drive so I can use that for backing up the other computers and change update the files. This only changed in SP2 never had that problem in SP1.
    Glad you got it sorted. I've used practically networked a bunch.