i need some help...

edited January 2005 in Hardware
I have recently built a computer...basically because i needed a gaming computer and it was an inexpensive way to get a pretty decent computer.... i have just loaded windows xp professional and all of its components including the drivers...but for some reaosn i cant get the USB ports to work...i checked the wiring and htye r wired correctly..and when i tryed to load the usb driver..all it did was tell me to download sp1a..which i have no clue what itd do..so i did it..and i still cant figure out the problem...can someone help...any suggestions? thanks :)

Comments

• gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited December 2004
    One we need some specks(ie motherboard etc.)

Two, make sure you loaded the motherboard drivers.

Three, what does the device manger say, any red or yellow ! marks?

also what are you trying in the USB, and do the back ones work?
  • edited December 2004
    i have a ....amd 3000+ processer
    msi k8t neo motherboard..
    1 gig of ram...

and ive loaded the mother board drivers...but there is no driver for USB...

and the device manger says absolutly nothing...

The usb ports are not even akknowledging that there is something plugged into them...
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited December 2004
    These are extra USB headers you've hooked up right?

They are enabled in the BIOS, correct? :)
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited December 2004
    Do the ones on the board work?
  • edited December 2004
    no the ones on the board do not work..the extra ones....i didnt hook up
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    May not seem like much, even pretty silly, however every time I installed WinXP SP1a on my computer, I had to manually tell the device manager to search for new hardware; it didn't throw up exclamation points, it didn't automatically add the USB ports either. Pretty weird :scratch: , but it's worth a shot.
  • edited January 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    May not seem like much, even pretty silly, however every time I installed WinXP SP1a on my computer, I had to manually tell the device manager to search for new hardware; it didn't throw up exclamation points, it didn't automatically add the USB ports either. Pretty weird :scratch: , but it's worth a shot.

Same here. I had to install service pack, then go to the device management. Search for new harware then install drivers by right clicking on USB and selecting update drivers. It is a common issue.