Thinking of becoming a hypocrite !!!

MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited March 2005 in Hardware
I currently have an NF3 - MSI K8N Neo2 with an AMD 3800+ in it. I have hated DFI now for a LONG time and have openly criticized them here. Now after hearing everyone constantly excited about this DFI board or that I am sitting here considering trying a DFI NF4 board to see how it is.

Am I crazy or just getting Senile? This would mean that I would have to part with my BBATI X800 Pro and get an X800XL to work in the PCI-E slot.

Should I go see a neurologist or can someone suggest the proper medication cause I feel like I'm slipping fast !!

Please help !!! Talk sense to ME quick :scratch: :shakehead

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    I've heard great things about their LanParty series. Never used one, though.

My understanding is that you'd be hard pressed to find a board with more features.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Missileman wrote:
    Should I go see a neurologist or can someone suggest the proper medication cause I feel like I'm slipping fast !!

Please help !!! Talk sense to ME quick :scratch: :shakehead
    Proper Medication:
    Take one 939 pin XP3500 along with two sticks of OCZ memory and call me in the A.M. ;D

I was still a devout Abit fan till I saw that people were getting better OC's w/ their LP2 boards than I could with my NF7-S and couldn't help but wonder. Then the LP3 boards were the cream of the crop for 754 and I sat up a little more so I could pay attention. After that the NF4 boards started to appear and I noticed that the bad boys who were never invited to the party in the first place offered one and ran away with the prize! At that point I knew I had to try it and have not once regretted paying more than I have ever paid for a new board. It does help a little to know that Abit's guru's traitored over to the dark side!;) Things change and by the most basic rule of buisness economics companies must change or risk being run out of buisness. So while we won't look the other way, we will not hold it against you for trying it. :thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Missileman, I remember. I remember when DFI was a super budget piece of crap brand, a la PCChips or Jetway... I had two DFI boards go supercrap on some customers of mine, and make me look bad. That was around 1999.

Now, I built a system with the LP4 Ultra and an A64 3500+ and man, it was tight. Very smooth, very solid. They've definitely come a long way.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited March 2005
    I remember using an old DFI Super Socket 7 motherboard with a K6-2 400, and having it burn out (taking the CPU & memory with it) back in early 2000.

They really were cheap pieces of **** back then.

DFI has really stepped up to the plate in the last 2 years. Their Infinity & LanParty series have been some of the best motherboards features-wise & overclocking-wise available.

After acquiring Oskar Wu (one of ABIT's premiere BIOS & board designers - most notably for the NF7-S & KT7-A series) to come work for DFI, DFI's products have really seen soaring movement in the market from the el-cheapo crap Tier-3 board maker to top-notch Tier-1 maker, rivaling Asus, MSI & ABit (and in most-cases, taking the top performance crown).

I was skeptical about DFI (because of my past experiences with them) until I put together my first Athlon 64 system (Socket 754) with their DFI LanParty UT & AMD Athlon 64 3700+. Paired with OCZ DDR400 EL Rev. 2 TCCD, that sucker flew. I've never seen so many overclocking options in the BIOS. It literally overwhelmed me with the sheer number of tinkering areas and options in the memory configuration area, let alone the rest of the BIOS.

Their new boards based upon the NForce 4 chipset are no slouch either, offering some of the fastest SLI & non-SLI performance available on one of the most reliable boards I've seen so far.

Quite frankly, when I move to SLI in the summer, DFI will be making a triumphant return into my case.

In short, are you losing your memory? Nope, but whoever perscribed 2x TCCD and an Athlon 64 3500+ is on the right track! Take them and call me in the morning... you won't be disappointed. :)
  • edited March 2005
    yes, get dfi-ed! fast, stable, oh and easy on the wallet (the wife didn't blink)!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2005
    I went from a DFI NF3 250GB board to the NF4 Ultra-D, both boards are superb if you like to tweak and tune your system.

I know DFI had a questionable past, but these new boards are built with top-notch components, so far, have been rock solid. Probably my only real complaint (and this is a minor thing, but annoying none the less) is that I have yet to see an accurate voltage reading from these boards. Always seem to be discrepancies between the multimeter and the monitors. Power hungry boards too, make sure you have a good psu.

These are certainly not for everyone though, expect to tear your hear out once and a while. Luckily DFI's online community is huge, and there is lots of support avaliable. Frequent Beta BIOS postings, and FAQs etc. If you like to overclock, these are your boards, no doubt about it.

[EDIT]Your system is almost identical to mine m.oreilly! Thought I was reading my own sig there :D:thumbsup:. I was actually thinking of picking up another WD360 to take advantage of this great chipset-based raid controller, have any ATTO scores of that setup?