Is the iPod Overrated?

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
Apple's iPod may be considered to be pretty great, but is its almost godlike status in the mp3 player market justified? Poptech.blogspot has a crack at answering that question.
I started out shopping for an MP3 player as a Christmas Gift over the holidays and wound up reading hundreds of reviews on all the available players. After much thought I narrowed the features that the player had to have:

1. Support MP3 bit rate of 192 Kbps or higher.
2. Drag and Drop File transfer both ways (no software)
3. Universal File Storage (not just MP3s)
4. User Replaceable Battery (Either Rechargeable or Standard)
I personally like the iPod, but I do think they're a bit pricey, and I hate having to use the iTunes software. I mean, have you tried inputting song information manually? Holy K6-2's, just don't.

Source: Poptech.blogspot

Comments

• RewiredRewired Member
    edited April 2005
    I do agree the lack of being able to drag and drop files to and from any hard drive based mp3 player is totally unacceptable.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2005
    Yeah, just finished reading this. I, for one, will not be getting an iPod when I can afford it. Hell no. I want to drag my ONE folder of music to the player, then GO. Maybe it can be like Winamp - scan once and then it's good. But screw using iTunes. I might want to give it to friends, etc.
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited April 2005
    What's the story with the iPod Shuffle? Drag/Drop cable?
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited April 2005
    I completely agree. I have never liked the ipod very much, and I'm glad people are starting to get the concept. My mother has a Creative Zen with the same amount of space, 100 bucks cheaper, and is super easy to use.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2005
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2005
    Right, but like it said in the article, I shouldn't have to use software period. If I want to take it to my friend's house, drop off a couple hundred songs, and pick up a couple hundred of his... damnit, I ought to be able to :-/
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited April 2005
    YES!!! Ridiculously overrated!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    The only thing I like about them is a seemingly (no personal experience) good build quality. But I loathe iTunes, and I don't feel like converting all my WMAs that I ripped before WMP10 came out with it's free MP3 ripping. What I really want is something that can play MP3, WMA, OGG, and M4A. I've got a considerable amount of all 4 types, and I don't want to leave any at home for compatibility reasons.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I think the iPod is way overrated. I go to the gym and I see all these people walking around with them strapped to their arms because they think its some sort of status symbol to have one. I'll give props to Apple's marketing department, but, being a person that knows a decent amount about technology and other devices that are available, I'd never buy an ipod. I prefer my minidisc player anyway, its much more cost effective and I can carry 5 hours of music per disc. The sony software blows and I wish it integrated with Windows better but oh well the thing was cheap and the battery lasts forever

If i was going to buy a music player anytime soon, I'd buy a Dell Jukebox, but for now I'm sticking with my Sony NetMD
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Ditto Spinner's comments. I like it, but curse iTunes.
  • CrimguyCrimguy Cave Creek, AZ
    edited April 2005
    I don't.

I think the iPod itself is the best player around, period. For playing music and accessing that music quickly, it's UI is the best, and this is due largely to the click wheel and the very readable screen.

iTunes would be fine if it was faster. But it's not, so I'm not a huge fan of it.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    /shameless plug

That's why everyone should help me get a free one. It would be one less iPod out there on the market that some fool could be tricked into buying. I'd be glad to take one of these nasty things. You know, for the good of mankind and all that. Don't wanna force an iPod on anyone. Consider me a depository for these vile machines.

/end shameless plug
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Anybody use one of these Yepps yet?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_YEPP_YP-T7Z_1GB/4505-6490_7-31278881.html

I'm not big on shackling myself to iTunes or drinking Apple Kool-Aid so I buy into their corporate, overhyped marketing.....

Mac Mini - Need I say more?
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited April 2005
    My $40 mp3 player off EBAY is siiiiiiick :headbange
  • CrimguyCrimguy Cave Creek, AZ
    edited April 2005
    Regarding the Samsung YP-T7Z, it is terrific. First played with it at CES, then got my wife one. Also on the very nice front is their YH-920 and 925GS. I've used the 920 and it's the only player I've used that rivals the iPod in terms of use, and beats it hands-down in features.

Build quality is excellent (my original YP-910 is still humming along for dedicated office duty) and battery life very good.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    /shameless plug

That's why everyone should help me get a free one. It would be one less iPod out there on the market that some fool could be tricked into buying. I'd be glad to take one of these nasty things. You know, for the good of mankind and all that. Don't wanna force an iPod on anyone. Consider me a depository for these vile machines.

/end shameless plug
    ;D

That's a noble offer, BJ. :D
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I'm just looking out for society. Don't want anyone to suffer unneeded pain. Have you seen how they dance in the iPod commercials. You could throw your back out.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    ...Have you seen how they dance in the iPod commercials. You could throw your back out.
    Twitching like worms on a hot sidewalk...

BTW, I registered at your link. Consider it a reward for your entertaining posts in this thread. I hope you get that iPod. :D
  • edited April 2005
    I GOT AN IPOD AND I LOVE IT :D