Flash Drive

BIGGIBIGGI Fort Meade, MD
edited September 2005 in Hardware
Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this.

I started night school and I'm looking for a good/reliable flash drive. I'm not up to date on this technology/hardware. So, could you please recomend a specific model/brand and specs I should look for?

I've found this one on Newegg at a good price for its' size.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820178054

I will be using this drive for:

- classword
- homework
- some file transfers ie. .PDF, .doc etc
- occasional movie/music

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Flash Drives are pretty standard, only differences are speed but when it comes to things such as work like yours it wont make much of a difference. So just buy a large USB2 one with lots of pretty lights and you're all set :thumbsup:
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited September 2005
    Like Enverex said, they are pretty similar, with just some varying design elements. I can tell you my experience with 2 different models if it may help you.

I have a Lexar Jumpdrive 512MB which is mine personally, and a SanDisk Cruzer 256 MB that belongs to the company. They both work fine. The SanDisk came with a lanyard, which may be handy for in school. The lanyard attaches to the side near the end, which is important as you will see in a moment, and it has a quick-release connector. The SanDisk also has a big clear area on the end that lights up from an LED, and then flahses when you are transferring. If you like flashing LED's you may want one like that. The cap fits back over the LED section and is also see-through.

The Lexar has a little clip to attach a lanyard, or keychain, etc, but the thing that really bugs me about this one is that it is right on the end, where the cap is supposed to go, which forces you to unhook it from whatever it is hooker up to.. I keep mine attached to a little LED keychain flashlight, so every time I use it I have to unhook it from the flashlight and then stick the cap on, or just leave the cap laying loose. The flashlight has a quick-release clip, but it still bugs me to have to do this. It has a small LED on the top that flashes when you transfer data, so it's not as "tricked out" as some others. It's fast and reliable though, I carry it everywhere in my hip-pack, and have never had a data problem.

Dexter...
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited September 2005
    Anything by corsair kingston or lexar should be fine.
  • BIGGIBIGGI Fort Meade, MD
    edited September 2005
    Everex, Dex and Fox,

Thanks for the feedback :D

After looking at Newegg for a couple of hours I decided on this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820155421

:D
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited September 2005
    I like the Cruzer, it is reliable (mine bumps around in my laptop case every day) and stylish. I like the sliding plug on those new ones, looks nifty.

Enjoy.

Dexter...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I have a 256mb Transcend JetFlash.. I really like it. Pretty stylish looking, reliable, small..
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    Great choice! SanDisk makes really great flash drives!

They're really durable, too!! :cool:
  • BIGGIBIGGI Fort Meade, MD
    edited September 2005
    Got the drive today, man this thing is FAST!

:D