Mapping more than 26 drives.

edited February 2009 in Science & Tech
I need a little help. Does anybody know how I can map more than 26 network drives? The default is the alphabet, but is there any software out there so I could have drive AA, BB, or likewise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    What OS?

To be honest, I thought that happened automatically once you ran out of single-letter drives.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Map them to folders instead of drive letters.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited December 2005
    nm i linked the wrong article... my bad...
  • edited December 2005
    Thanks soooo much for the quick response.

It's a 2003 MS Server OS.
    Which is full right now and an option for more did not appear.

The folder could work, but I'd really prefer letters, it must be a Monk thing. :D

If anybody has any ideas please let me know. And thanks again.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Why on earth do you need that many drive letters... crazy ;D

You could always use DFS and that way the shares could centrally located, even if they are spread across the network. One mapped drive with lots of other shares underneath :)
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Only problem with DFS is if you dont know how to set it up and understand the way it works it can be a bit of a nightmare.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Necropolis wrote:
    Only problem with DFS is if you dont know how to set it up and understand the way it works it can be a bit of a nightmare.
    Sadly that is the truth. You have been on the wrong end of that and I currently am as well :(

But done right, there is no reason why it can't be a very effective solution :)
  • edited December 2005
    Shorty wrote:

You could always use DFS and that way the shares could centrally located, even if they are spread across the network. One mapped drive with lots of other shares underneath :)

I have a new back-up server with 15 drives. If there are any problems I want to be able to look at any drive from my remote server.
  • edited February 2009
    Shorty wrote:

I have scripts that map drives to about 200 servers. The scripts can then do a number of items such as collect or push data. When the script is running, it takes time to map and unmap drives. If I could map 200 drives ahead of time, or even 1000 drives (if I want to map each drive letter on each server), then the script would run much faster.

I have been told that Macs do not have the 26 drive limitation. I do not know if Linux suffers the same limitation. I was hoping that Microsoft would support more than 26 drives on their newest operating systems, but I doubt if they will support more than 26 drives.

Dave
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2009
    It won't you can only have a maximum of 26 drive letters. Mac's and Linux work differently in that they create symbolic links via folders and not drive letters.

However as long as you aren't using dos to collect data you can just use the unc name for any server\folder you need to get to.